iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #841 of 3,626
Holy multi multi quotes Batman!

Beautiful picture!! is the back actually glass ?
Yes. See page 8 in the manual.

Thanks for the pics!
Is that the 220 next to the Max?
Yes it is. In my photo sets so far - i have included the DX220 (and DX220 Max).

I wonder if this "DAC volume" level is digital volume adjustment of the DAC or is the analog volume pot is also digitally connected.

Dac volume is shown

and is separate from the volume pot

Looks like what is on the display is the digital volume level of the DAC and real volume level is only visible on the volume knob.

Yes. That seems to be the case.
There is some information in the manual i think.

i would like to see the Volume displayed (not just the dac volume - or an either or button/toggle/switch in the ui)

Can you also compare the CPU frequency tunings of DX220 and Max? You can use the 'CPU Info' and / or CPU-Z apps. I was wondering if iBasso due to the larger space and battery allowed higher clock for the CPU, which could improve the responsiveness.

Done two posts up :) (as you have kindly noticed).

Please. Let the sequence be quick: In the House ➔ To the sink (wash hands) ➔ To the ears ➔ To the keyboard - sharing impressions on Headfi

this is true!

What is interesting, is how good the single ended sounds, since I have been using balanced out of my daps a lot. The sound is like it is endless.

This is also true!

any RF EMI noise from nearby devices?, former ibasso stuff was disgusting with the RF, im wondering if the new power isolation in this max model fixed it...

I never had trouble myself and digital interference is everywhere in Tokyo even at home with the packed in houses.
But of course my experience is not your experience. :)

While it does look big, compared to the DX220 it doesn’t look AS big as I expected.

‘Thats what she said!’

But yeah. I feel the same way.

Honestly, I was surprised as well. I thought it will be bigger and heavier. For sure, this is not a compact pocket friendly DAP, but considering how much it packs, including the battery partitioning (2 separate charges required, DC and USB-C), it's not that bad to take it with you to the office or when using public transportation. Can even carry it on the go in a backpack. Would be cool to have one of those Dignis-like carrying cases with a shoulder strap.

Yep I will take it in my shoulder or back pack.
The new extra large case by DDhifi looks perfect.

What is the weight of Dx220 Max? One thing which iBasso did right with this one is they went with the philosophy of either portable(to be carried in pockets) or not at all. Not to be hanging in between. Its good it does not pretend to be portable.

700g at last count.
So about two cans of Diet Coke...

It was describe by iBasso as transportable, not portable.

Are you trying to see if you can use it as a dumbell replacing the gym? Haha

We will all come out of lockdown as a ‘hunk, a chunk or a drunk’ - @Rockwell75

Why no skip button? Otherwise it would have been a quick buy for me. :frowning2:

I love a good skip button.
But this will encourage me to listen to full albums.
I dont have a lot of music on my daps - i am quite savage in my selection.

It is possible to put the DX220 Max in the pocket actually. :beyersmile:

I havent tried. But it might be ok.

man bag could be the choice.

Is it the same screen as DX220? It kind of looks bigger, or?

posted earlier, as you have noticed :)

There - caught up.

<3

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #845 of 3,626
I am sure MAX will sound great but I wonder if iBasso rushed a bit without smoothing out the edges like no skip button or no proper volume level display.

It has analog volume control, like a real desktop hardware. Thus you can't track it digitally to display on the screen. This is a compromise of the design. And just like with desktop hardware, when going between iems and headphones with different sensitivity, you just have to make it a habit to turn the volume dial down.

Regarding lack of hw transport control buttons, I think one work around would be to use something like android Bluetooth media remote control. I used to have one before, need to find it for testing.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #846 of 3,626
It has analog volume control, like a real desktop hardware. Thus you can't track it digitally to display on the screen. This is a compromise of the design. And just like with desktop hardware, when going between iems and headphones with different sensitivity, you just have to make it a habit to turn the volume dial down.

Regarding lack of hw transport control buttons, I think one work around would be to use something like android Bluetooth media remote control. I used to have one before, need to find it for testing.

Volume indicator is not a big issue but there is, for example, the M15 analog volume control which possibly has another ring for position which is fed back to the system. I think it would be good to completely remove/hide the digital volume indicator to make space for other icons.

I agree. And/or a remote control like Hiby Link or FiiO Link could be very useful.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #847 of 3,626
Volume indicator is not a big issue but there is, for example, the M15 analog volume control which possibly has another ring for position which is fed back to the system. I think it would be good to completely remove/hide the digital volume indicator to make space for other icons.
I agree. And/or a remote control like Hiby Link or FiiO Link could be very useful.

Yes, an option to hide DAC volume control in notification bar is an easy fix and will eliminate the confusion. I sh!t my pants when I got MAX out of the box last night and didn't see volume change in notification as I was turning the dial. You know, us real men don't need driving directions or reading manuals :D But I think I will have to make an exception this time :)

And even out of the box, MAX sounds so good.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #848 of 3,626
Yes, an option to hide DAC volume control in notification bar is an easy fix and will eliminate the confusion. I sh!t my pants when I got MAX out of the box last night and didn't see volume change in notification as I was turning the dial. You know, us real men don't need driving directions or reading manuals :D But I think I will have to make an exception this time :)

And even out of the box, MAX sounds so good.

I saw the photos from ExpatInJapan with an IEM connected and volume set to 132 and thought "I hope he saw the volume level before putting those IEMs in his ears". :scream:

Can't wait for the impressions!.. And of course, my own MAX. :L3000:

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #849 of 3,626
Dx220max + modified caps for mundorf or bg ! WOOWW waiting @Whitigir next super MoD optimisation on this big fella!

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #851 of 3,626
You already know it will sound great, what you don't know is if it will sound better than TOTLs like WM1Z, SP2000, LPGT, CAYIN N8, PL, ... Desiring for a comparison!
Ibasso demonstrates it again, the punch ways beyond it values of price : performances ratio. I can not believe this unit is sub $2k

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #852 of 3,626
You already know it will sound great, what you don't know is if it will sound better than TOTLs like WM1Z, SP2000, LPGT, CAYIN N8, PL, ... Desiring for a comparison!

Agree dx220 max looks very promising if I get lucky hands on it I will !

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #853 of 3,626
You are seeing Max out of the box to hang around with all the Extensively modified units

1/ Extremely Modified DX220 and Amp8. I call it DX228EX

2/ Walkman WM1Z-EM it is Extensively Modified

3/ Max , just out of the box !!!

listening to the Hd800s now. It is hanging around these boys, it is punching ways beyond it asking prices considering how much works and investments have gone into the other 2 units

3CE51D82-847B-4FE1-8133-B513D437CF03.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #854 of 3,626
Ibasso demonstrates it again, the punch ways beyond it values of price : performances ratio. I can not believe this unit is sub $2k

I find it a very good attempt for a better (trans)portable sound. Instead of trying to mimic mobile phones in shape, making a bolder design with more space and just focusing on audio quality could break the belief that "a (trans)portable system cannot be compared to a desktop system". I hope this becomes a success and a stable product category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back