iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #1,246 of 3,626
I wanted to add something: I very much liked the sound of DX220Max, and don't think I need mods on it. It crystal clear sound, spaciousness and the the level of fun it renders out of even older recordings is astonishingly good. I have zero complaints about its sound. _ZERO_!

But claiming that it falls behind of some user base mods on $200 amp modules by changing a few caps? Well, that should not happen.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,248 of 3,626
Well, that is a bummer, and a huge hit to the credibility of iBasso.

You have a new product that is based on the existing one, you charge double the money for it, have at about a year to work on your new product (and that is pretty much the same digital platform, even the same PCB), you mention that you did maybe thousand new trials for the perfect sound even after it was shown at the shows...and manage to fall behind the mods that has been floating around?

Where have you been all the time to apply the tricks of those hackers on your new product, iBasso? Why and how did you manage to fall behind that with all the space you have in the new package and all the time you had and thousand trials you made?

It is not about making a mod or not. This is not a $200-300 product. This is a product that is all and only about audio quality, as in other areas it falls behind the competition, and iBasso _must_ have managed and suppressed the level what the user base has achieved by changing a few caps.

If it did not...well, as I said, for me it is a huge hit to the credibility of iBasso.
Well you can just buy his DMP-Z1which he and many others said is on a higher level.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,249 of 3,626
Well you can just buy his DMP-Z1which he and many others said is on a higher level.

I don't think I will ever give that much money on a Sony product. :) I had a modded WM1Z and I think it is a joke compared to what the MAX delivers.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,250 of 3,626
I don't think I will ever give that much money on a Sony product. :) I had a modded WM1Z and I think it is a joke compared to what the MAX delivers.
Ooo the DMP-Z1 pretty much sounds the same as the 1Z but with a little more power. Here you go an N8 with a Romi 5 watt amp.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,251 of 3,626
I wanted to add something: I very much liked the sound of DX220Max, and don't think I need mods on it. It crystal clear sound, spaciousness and the the level of fun it renders out of even older recordings is astonishingly good. I have zero complaints about its sound. _ZERO_!

But claiming that it falls behind of some user base mods on $200 amp modules by changing a few caps? Well, that should not happen.
When I speak about dx228ex, it isn’t only the amp module that is modified :wink:

the comparison is done from a human being and so AKA In my opinion

There are so many point of views, for example, any $3400+ cables should not sound better than a stock supplied cables, because it is only different wires materials.....(in references to changing caps)

Ibasso has it own house sound, and this MAX is reflecting that. Why would Ibasso credit be negatively hit ? I don’t see it. MAX sound signature from Ibasso line up products is already the best of what it is out of all Ibasso Stock players.....huge soundstage and excellent separations with neutral signatures....This is the part it does even better than modded DX228EX....so I am not exactly seeing that it is falling behind.....since it was only the opinions of mine and from the views of preferences/experiences that I have

I kept saying it many times already, out of the box, Max sweeps the floors with many other players, and given it pricing, I still am not seeing why should Ibasso credit be negatively hit ?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #1,252 of 3,626
When I speak about dx228ex, it isn’t only the amp module that is modified :wink:

the comparison is done from a human being and so AKA In my opinion

There are so many point of views, for example, any $3400+ cables should not sound better than a stock supplied cables, because it is only different wires materials.....(in references to changing caps)

Ibasso has it own house sound, and this MAX is reflecting that. Why would Ibasso credit be negatively hit ? I don’t see it. MAX sound signature from Ibasso line up products is already the best of what it is out of all Ibasso Stock players.....huge soundstage and excellent separations with neutral signatures....This is the part it does even better than modded DX228EX....so I am not exactly seeing that it is falling behind.....since it was only the opinions of mine and from the views of preferences/experiences that I have

I kept saying it many times already, out of the box, Max sweeps the floors with many other players, and given it pricing, I still am not seeing why should Ibasso credit be negatively hit ?

Exactly! But when you say that a mod that has been done on a $200 board with a few cap modifications can suppress a product that at that level, you start decrediting the iBasso as a company and MAX as a product. I wanted to be harsh at that point saying out loud what anyone reading your comment would think.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #1,255 of 3,626
86FFFA97-888B-4D0F-A38B-209825F961DC.jpeg

I killed a few birds with one stone today in todays listening/testing...

Wednesday June 10th, 2020.

I took the DX220 Max on a tour of Tokyo. I took the Andromeda MW10 and also Campfire Audio Ara with me.

This was less and exercise in sound changes but more as a Transportable versus portable experiment.
I mainly carrier it in my front jeans pocket, (see photos a couple of pages back).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-75#post-15667374
heavier of course than the DX220, but manageable. Although a shoulder bag, or backpack would be more fitting. Nevertheless i managed without much discomfort to negotiate my way across Tokyo and back home again.

I suspect the coming Japan summer will render such daring experiments void and the preferable place at that stage would be within a bag. The DX220 Max is about two diet coke cans in weight.

Sound - dunno.

Friday June 18th, 2020. mid afternoon.

From Tuesday to now the hours have increased from 100 - 120 to around 165- -185 hours of listening and burn in.

I am quite curious to get started and see where we are at.

Here we go...

Circling back around to the initial test set up

DX220 Max low gain/ brick wall filter. Android side.
Campfire Audio Andromeda (V3- 2019).
Stock cable, final audio tips ( i prefer Spiral dot ++ for my wider CA nozzle but i am using the Final Audio tips so others can replicate my findings, or not...), 3.5mm Single ended.

Beck - ‘Sea Changes’.

The DX220
max seems to have settled down nicely.
It seems like from memory (i am trying to avoid my notes) that the DX220 Max started off quite nicely and competently... but just was not ‘there’ yet.

From a reasonably enjoyable flat with resolving nature at the start, to an increase in the treble, which was slightly alarming at first to the mids coming into play and finally the bass coming more fully into play - i think the bass will open up even more.

Its is a reference player in the meaning that it plays back your files as one expects the music to sound, there is a whisper of added dynamics- but nothing too colored as such.

Vocals are centered within the skull and expand out slightly.
Tonality is excellent - earphone dependent. Better the earphone l, better the recording, better the result with the DX220 Max - not so forgiving with bad gear.
Sound stage is once again the area of the earphones - but the DX220 Max allows them to perform at their maximum ability, couple that with high performing imaging and it is an aural delight for the ears.

It certainly is an incredible sounding machine.

Next up with be some a/b-ing against DX220/amp 8 and amp ex and then revisiting it again at around 250 hours which i suspect will be the sweet spot - and everything past that will be a bonus for the ears.

*i made use of my latter time to do an a/b of Andro v1, and v4/2020.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,257 of 3,626
Impression update after 24± hours.

I went through Spotify's Karaoke Duets playlist. Things that stand out with GR10s:
1. There is definite improvement with layering within the vocal range. Falling Slowly (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova), I think, was mastered with everything in one center with little L/R variance. I noticed that vocals and instruments in that 'center' now have their own space where you can separate them from each other.
2. Like I'm Gonna Lose You (Meghan Trainor & John Legend) vocals and backing vocals really shine in this song. The guitar pick and plucking in the beginning sounds 'soft crispy'. Bass drum is present and felt but always behind the vocal range, Recommended song.
3. My Boo (Usher & Alicia Keys) is a song that is definitely EQed as a pop song. Linear DAP and earphone response brings up the bass and upper-mids too much making the synth vocals annoying (to me anyway).
4. Listen to the backing guitar in Hate That I Love You (Rihanna & Ne-yo). That is layering and imaging done right!
5. Perfect Duet (Ed Sheeran & Beyonce). @2:13 the part where the backing choir melds with Beyonce's vocals and radiates from her is f'n nice.

A quality-of-life improvement suggestion: Have a battery saver setting (like a laptop) that allows you to mostly have your MAX plugged to the charger/s, going only from 30-80%

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #1,259 of 3,626

Users who are viewing this thread

Back