iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #3,091 of 3,626
I agree, but I gotta say that MangoOS is superior in sound performances when compared to Mango App in Android. I know android is open and good, but MangoOS is my favorite. If there is MangoOS as an option then I would always go for it. Sometimes I do torture myself and ignore the facts that MangoOS is better, then I try to stay with Android and Mango App, but after a period I switched back to MangoOS and Voila, Max is like hugely upgraded, and I kept asking myself over and over again “why Android ?” It had been going on since late Dx200, 220, and now Max, but I found it was fun to do so :). Also MangoOS doesn’t do MQA
That’s why I wrote “and MangoOS5” - I believe new revision got some improvements as well :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #3,092 of 3,626
I really do hope Mango OS gets updated for the MAX, improve the performance (less lag) please!

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #3,093 of 3,626
If MangoOS5 is going to be ready, why MAX should not be updated to?

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,094 of 3,626
That’s why I wrote “and MangoOS5” - I believe new revision got some improvements as well :)
If MangoOS5 is going to be ready, why MAX should not be updated to?

maybe mangoOS5 was originally intended and tuned by Dx300 and it cores ? That involves FPGA master and CL chips rather than prioritizing es9028Pro and the much larger screen. I witnessed that the early MangoOS in dx200 was not that great in performances to begin with, and slowly evolved....could be the other

I am pretty sure that it is coming to Max, but it may take sometimes, Ibasso has always been very good with keeping firmwares updated for existed platforms

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,095 of 3,626
maybe mangoOS5 was originally intended and tuned by Dx300 and it cores ? That involves FPGA master and CL chips rather than prioritizing es9028Pro and the much larger screen. I witnessed that the early MangoOS in dx200 was not that great in performances to begin with, and slowly evolved....could be the other

I am pretty sure that it is coming to Max, but it may take sometimes, Ibasso has always been very good with keeping firmwares updated for existed platforms
I guess MangoOS5 comes together with Android 9 - so, question if iBasso team will/could invest their time to create Android 9 based firmware.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,096 of 3,626
I guess MangoOS5 comes together with Android 9 - so, question if iBasso team will/could invest their time to create Android 9 based firmware.
That is what I have asked Paul in 220 thread... Still waiting for his reply. My guess they will make some new version with minor bugs fixing but they will not go with Android 9.0. 220 is already discontinued on iBasso website. Max still has a chance but keeping in mind it was limited production and used same software as 220, I don’t think it will get major updates in future. All in all it is still DAP which sounds as it sounds. So some cosmetic improvements would be nice however it is not changing its performance significantly. As Luker has explained in DX300 thread with latest DAPs you cannot really improve them with a software.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #3,097 of 3,626
I am loving my MaxEX + Fidelizer + MangoOS + Pure Litz Silver cables + Hd800S Anniversary + Internal pure gold wires upgrade

Max superiorities are showing with HD800S as this is very hard to drive and feed it with details, dynamic, soundstage and finesses. This is the headphones that is showing MAX is only below the DMP-Z1, but it is above many other players. Eventhough M8 is very good and well tuned (signatures aside), the M8 drives the EX1000 earbuds super well, but the MAXEX drives the 800S better (not to mention the facts that EX was especially aimed toward the 800s)

I enjoy M8 signatures as a compliment to Max signatures, but whenever MAX is there, I can’t plug in my M8, unless I am using the EX1000 or MDR Z1R.

565454A8-00E7-47D2-8E53-23191B4F3BC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #3,101 of 3,626
The mechanical switches on Sony's are really cool! Sad that ibasso did not decide to use something like that
I owned the Sony 1z for about a year. The relays work very well there, but those relays are probably there more for safety. Sony still using electronic switching inside as well.
Plus, small switches like those, are not rated for the much higher voltage of ibasso unit, so would probably eventually wear out relay contacts.
Also the Sony upgrade mods bypass them.

I agree, but I gotta say that MangoOS is superior in sound performances when compared to Mango App in Android. I know android is open and good, but MangoOS is my favorite
I compared two 220max units side by side, that I freshly installed/flashed same exact fidelizer OS & lurker add-ons.
So I tested under critical listening with various players in Android, to Mango, and my results found that the Mango OS still had the best clarity and depth, by a slight, to noticable margin.

Max superiorities are showing with HD800S as this is very hard to drive and feed it with details, dynamic, soundstage and finesses. This is the headphones that is showing MAX is only below the DMP-Z1, but it is above many other players
I have extensive experience with the HD800 & 800S, and can say that this is a headphones that scales with better power, but few setups really push it to limits.
Previously the best I heard the HD800/800S was either tube amp or speaker amp.
Yet what you state I can verify and also add that it is an understatement. The pairing with the MAX is one of the best pairing and performance of the HD800/S I have heard. It is rather jaw dropping and I don't even have the EX upgrade. The synergy is amazing.
I did put the fidelizer with lurker, and run the mango OS on it.

If I was to pin-point a reason, it would be the voltage and power out of this unit. It's better for an amp to have more voltage in it's total wattage, than current, for the 800 series.

IMO this setup alone is a main reason to have it.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #3,102 of 3,626
I previously was using the Sony 1z output to my desktop tube amp for my full sized headphones, but now with the MAX, I am free to roam the house with my full sized headphones on, instead of needing IEMs & portables for mobility.
Actually, I noticed the more expensive IEMs also like more power as well, because they implement tiny Electrostatic drivers.
Edit:
I previously also used headphones with high sensitivity for the Sony as well. But I always preferred the HD800.
:)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,103 of 3,626
I compared two 220max units side by side, that I freshly installed/flashed same exact fidelizer OS & lurker add-ons.
So I tested under critical listening with various players in Android, to Mango, and my results found that the Mango OS still had the best clarity and depth, by a slight, to noticable margin.
yes, MangoOS is so good that I just can’t find any reason to use Android at all. When you have the time, you should apply EX mod :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #3,104 of 3,626
When you have the time, you should apply EX mod :)
Yes that's my plan next.
Not easy undertaking.
The only thing I haven't decided on yet, is tool to use to remove rear glass.
I thinking, If it breaks I might replace with metal.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #3,105 of 3,626
Yes that's my plan next.
Not easy undertaking.
The only thing I haven't decided on yet, is tool to use to remove rear glass.
I thinking, If it breaks I might replace with metal.
That was exactly what I thought, but so far it was tough and still healthy :), oh ! I also,opened it many times already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back