iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Oct 31, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #256 of 3,626
Buy a USB HDD and connect it via OTG. Any iBasso DAP I tried works with my WD My Passport HDDs in 2-4TB range. I see no reason why it shouldn't work with WD My Book 10TB as well, which you can grab now for less than $200.

Really? You just prove my point. With memory so cheap there is no excuse not to have it in a TOTL dap. Not having to carry around more devices and cables or cards should be a no-brainer. I can put 2tb in my Kann and it sounds good and has a stable o/s and user interface. So where is iBasso?

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #257 of 3,626
Really? You just prove my point. With memory so cheap there is no excuse not to have it in a TOTL dap. Not having to carry around more devices and cables or cards should be a no-brainer. I can put 2tb in my Kann and it sounds good and has a stable o/s and user interface. So where is iBasso?

+1

plus. External HD drain battery.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #258 of 3,626
You just prove my point. With memory so cheap
Did I say a word about "memory"? Flash memory is still expensive. To implement second SD-card slot is quite expensive as well. But, for a desktop DAP, you can buy for cheap a lot of external storage. That's my point!

It is not a theory: I have a number of HDDs which I take with me at vacations.

External HD drain battery.
You can use an external power supply for HDD, or for both. That's what I do sometimes :wink:

Also, 512GB microSD costs $65 and provides weeks of listening even of hi-res/DSD. 1TB of eMMC costs much more.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #259 of 3,626
To implement second SD-card slot is quite expensive as well

Look at your DX80 and DX120, that argument doesn't fly either. And in a $2k dap like the DX220max it just holds no water at all. I have every ibasso dap up until now but unless the Max comes with adequate memory there will be no more. I have these daps because their sound is that good and I like having the whole collection. But enough is enough. I want to carry my whole library in a single device when I travel and only two of iBasso's machines can do that along with the Kann. The twin slot iBassos handle them just fine unlike what I've heard about the M11, And any of the other twin slot devices I've looked at just couldn't match the sound quality of the DX units or even the Kann

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #261 of 3,626
Did I say a word about "memory"? Flash memory is still expensive. To implement second SD-card slot is quite expensive as well. But, for a desktop DAP, you can buy for cheap a lot of external storage. That's my point!

It is not a theory: I have a number of HDDs which I take with me at vacations.

You can use an external power supply for HDD, or for both. That's what I do sometimes :wink:

Also, 512GB microSD costs $65 and provides weeks of listening even of hi-res/DSD. 1TB of eMMC costs much more.

I think what he meant to ask was to allow 2X MicroSD slot to the least. :wink: and I think that is very reasonable to say so.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #263 of 3,626
Look at your DX80 and DX120, that argument doesn't fly either
RK3368 has only 3 (three) SDIO interfaces. One is dedicated for eMMC, the 2nd is used for SD-card. In DX120 and DX80, the 3rd is used for the 2nd SD-card. In iBasso DAPs with full Android it is used for Wi-Fi module. So please stop wasting your time, just seek for another DAP :wink:

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #264 of 3,626
RK3368 has only 3 (three) SDIO interfaces. One is dedicated for eMMC, the 2nd is used for SD-card. In DX120 and DX80, the 3rd is used for the 2nd SD-card. In iBasso DAPs with full Android it is used for Wi-Fi module. So please stop wasting your time, just seek for another DAP :wink:

thank you for explaining ! Even with 1 slot, I do think at this price point and whatever the performances may be, will be worth it. I can not wait !

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #265 of 3,626
Well that's about as close to a cogent explanation I've yet heard as to why. But what about putting a large internal memory in there? A 2TB ssd is about half the size of the DX80 and not much more $$ than a 1tb micro sd card. And no need to be snarky.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #266 of 3,626
A 2TB ssd
Which interface (SATA or NVMe)? Does RK3368 have such an interface? How about heat produced by SSDs? Did you ask those questions yourself before posting here?

The only allowed internal storage in such devices is eMMC. The biggest is 256GB, and it is quite expensive compared for microSD.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #268 of 3,626
Maybe I can end this endless debate with a rhetorical question: When is a company going to build a DAP that can store thirty thousand or more tracks and stream and bluetooth it all seamlessly? That seems to be the gist of what most posters on these forums want.

I, for one, have gone as far as I intend to in this "hobby". I enjoy what I have but hope for more that does not seem to be coming any time soon. Besides, it's really all about the music, not the equipment. Furthermore, my modest speaker systems still sound better than head-fi.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #269 of 3,626
We are such a demanding community! Let's Halloween chill a bit with 'vegan black metal' as the DX220M is further cooked in the ovens of iBasso. :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #270 of 3,626
I seriously can not wait for the DX220Max any longer =/

I know how great both the Dx220 and the Amp8 can be, now with the analog volume controls to max out the dynamic on the ES9028Pro even at the lowest volume = insane . Not to mention the ability to take in directly External PSU to operate, individual battery packs! Woooooo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back