iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Sep 18, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,657 of 3,626
Well it's Amazon app then, pretty new... picked the wrong time to migrate from tidal :p
I'll try UAPP...

The screen gets pretty warm of is it just me?
Maybe because I have been toying with it for a while no screen off but still...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,658 of 3,626
Out of the box, it seems the Amazon Music app thinks the Max DAC limitation is 24/48 (android, sigh...) do I need something like UAPP for full capabilities?

1342CEA8-05F8-44F8-8444-19315A5E0074.jpeg

I just tried mine and it recognizes device capability as 24/192. I read somewhere in this forum that it seems that there are some steps to make the app on Android recognize the correct capability. Let me try to find the posts again. Maybe it’s like going to the Mango player To play some 24/192 files first then go into Amazon Music HD app again. I’ll try to find out more.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,659 of 3,626
I just tried mine and it recognizes device capability as 24/192. I read somewhere in this forum that it seems that there are some steps to make the app on Android recognize the correct capability. Let me try to find the posts again. Maybe it’s like going to the Mango player To play some 24/192 files first then go into Amazon Music HD app again. I’ll try to find out more.

Thanks a lot, this makes me hopeful!

How do you find download times and streaming by the way, looks a bit slow to me...

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #2,661 of 3,626
Thanks a lot, this makes me hopeful!

How do you find download times and streaming by the way, looks a bit slow to me...

I’ve not tried downloading from Amazon music Hd but can try later. But never had issues with streaming or experience any lag. To me I get the same performance as Qobuz. Just as fast. I do really like their Ultra HD playlists.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #2,662 of 3,626
Hmm wonder if the trick is not this :

On my SR15, if I play a local file from my SD that is 24/192 prior to starting Amazon Music, I get 24/192 as the "device capability" and the tracks indicate that they are playing at the higher rates. Maybe worth a try.

Edit : Looks like it's hit or miss depending on versions

I just updated Amazon Music from the Play Store (16.17.3) and now I have the same issue (24/48 Device Capability). It was working perfectly yesterday. If I roll back to version 16.16.1 it starts working again... I guess Amazon screwed something with the update.

I'll stop the OT, I'll post at the Amazon thread if I can't fix it

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,663 of 3,626

yup it’s exactly the same steps as what I sent. If I can player 24/192 on mine I’m sure yours can do the same. I’m listening to the Ultra HD jazz playlists with Hd6xx and a new moon audio silver dragon on my MAX now and it sounds really good. Mine is modded by @Whitigir though and I love it. He tried to get me into getting the DMP-Z1 but the MAX-Ex serves all my needs and more.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,664 of 3,626
yup it’s exactly the same steps as what I sent. If I can player 24/192 on mine I’m sure yours can do the same. I’m listening to the Ultra HD jazz playlists with Hd6xx and a new moon audio silver dragon on my MAX now and it sounds really good. Mine is modded by @Whitigir though and I love it. He tried to get me into getting the DMP-Z1 but the MAX-Ex serves all my needs and more.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Happy to help, my friend! I am glad you are loving it. I too do love it a whole lot, and especially that it can have a wonderful line out from the balanced port. It is like a Swiss knife !!!! Doing it good while also looking good as well

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #2,665 of 3,626
@Whitigir you have a post or something detailing the EX mod? Curious...

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,666 of 3,626
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,667 of 3,626
Great thanks!

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,668 of 3,626
Hey guys! Stock over here still seems to be hard to come by still. But now that it seems to have reached the hands of many in this thread, I was wondering about your thoughts on (a) battery life (b) streaming reliability [I tend to use Tidal, Xiami, QQ Music) and stability of the FW. I still have my DX100. :) Great sonics. But terrible battery life, unstable FW and bad UI. Hence, you can understand where I am coming from with my questions. And with a transportable like this, I will likely be streaming via home WiFi. Thanks in advance everyone! 🙏

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,669 of 3,626
Hey guys! Stock over here still seems to be hard to come by still. But now that it seems to have reached the hands of many in this thread, I was wondering about your thoughts on (a) battery life (b) streaming reliability [I tend to use Tidal, Xiami, QQ Music) and stability of the FW. I still have my DX100. :) Great sonics. But terrible battery life, unstable FW and bad UI. Hence, you can understand where I am coming from with my questions. And with a transportable like this, I will likely be streaming via home WiFi. Thanks in advance everyone! 🙏
Battery life seems decent. It lasts about as long as the DX160 that I carry for on-the-go listening. I haven’t done a battery test on it, but I’ve gone a full day with intermittent listening and I made it home on the bus with music. What drains the battery is YouTube. It whips the digital battery and makes the screen warm to the touch. The amp battery is pretty well balanced with the digital battery for my listening volumes, but I mainly use low impedance IEMs. Generally, if I’m going to be at desk for the whole day, I will take the amp charger with me and I can find a USB-C plug anywhere, which is why I haven’t really tested the battery. If I was super lazy or spent my whole week at my desk, I would buy a second charger for the amp.
Something that I think is quite nice, is that the care put into isolation of the power systems also shines through in the charging. When it’s plugged into power, I very rarely notice any interference from the wall. So it’s easy to leave it plugged in.
Regarding the streaming, I’ve found the 5Ghz WiFi connection to be quick and stable. No dropped connections like on HiBy devices. I think those services might drain the digital battery slightly faster than the amp, but I would estimate within 10-15% of each other.
Overall, the MAX is a great player and it’s taken me out of the game for a while.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #2,670 of 3,626
So after a bit more time with the Max, maybe it's the fact the unit is not totally burnt in but as I cycle through different genres I feel the Max can be not only very energetic but also a bit intense especially in the upper mids section some of my IEMs I'd definitely say right now the Max has revealing mids that I also expected to be a bit fuller reading @twister6 review. I find the LPGT to be significantly fuller so a bit puzzled by this. All my IEMs sound brighter compared to LPGT and that's not something I remember from DX220 with AMP8. Maybe the irks of the burn in process (I am at 72 hours now), been there with WM1Z and 1A so... hopeful!

I am also not used to the upper treble presence, which highlights fantastic detail retrieval capabilities but I have never been one to enjoy it too much maybe because I have very sensitive ears (I have hesitated a lot with going for Hiby R8 so maybe better choice for me)... That also bugs me with the SP1000 for example and most AK except SA700. Not that the Max is agressive but the balance in the mix is a bit too prominent. For all the things you read on the LPGT, while it features just as much detail, it definitely sounds almost laid back compared to the Max with a smoother delivery.

Note that my initial impressions of the Max were based on my favorites well mastered and recorded softer genres so it didn't strike me at first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back