iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,221 of 3,627
MAX is very good. I am surprised and happy that Ibasso is keeping the house sound signature with also the price to performance ratio Motto. Excellently done for sure

I still can’t get over the fact that it simply can be dropped into the pocket and walk around with while having the insane power on tap

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,224 of 3,627
Erase that song out of the library ? Or use Bluetooth control ? Lol

This is just my theory: the value of any DAP, even if it comes with a $3,000+ price tag and my own favorite sound signature, drops by 50%, if it forces me to slow down my walk/run, take it out of pocket just so I could skip a track on any app on the screen for lack of side buttons. The whole idea of a DAP, to me, is that the investment lets me be lost in my own world of music without having to return to the real world to deal with the UI. Even the cheap Sony A25 and mid-fi M11Pro and even mobile phones let me press the side buttons of them through the denim or track pants surface near my thigh area in a fraction of a second. My fingers developed a muscle memory to know where the right button is beneath my clothing and that's the maximum deviation into real world I am willing to take from being lost in my own world and music when I come across a song I feel like skipping. So, I was just wondering if at all there was any really valid reason in terms of product/sound design for iBasso to decide against retaining the side buttons. I am all for new ideas as long as they add value while replacing the old ones. DX220MAX was one of the ToTL DAPs seriously considered till I came across this little post revealing the fact that it comes with no side buttons - a tiny tiny thing in the big picture but enough of a thing to affect a purchase decision of some people. Hence my curiosity to know if there was a valid design reason behind the missing buttons. Not that iBasso has anything to lose -MAX is after all, a limited release of 1000 units and almost all seem to be selling out soon.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #2,225 of 3,627
No such luck for me. Been getting less than 4 hours of play time after a factory reset. Will contact B&H photo now. My return window is closing fast.
Were you using a PD charger with the Max? I found out from mine that it puts out 8 + volts to the DAC battery and then the Max, will play but not charge. Put a strictly 5 volt charger on the dac battery and it started charging correctly.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #2,226 of 3,627
This is just my theory: the value of any DAP, even if it comes with a $3,000+ price tag and my own favorite sound signature, drops by 50%, if it forces me to slow down my walk/run, take it out of pocket just so I could skip a track on any app on the screen for lack of side buttons. The whole idea of a DAP, to me, is that the investment lets me be lost in my own world of music without having to return to the real world to deal with the UI. Even the cheap Sony A25 and mid-fi M11Pro and even mobile phones let me press the side buttons of them through the denim or track pants surface near my thigh area in a fraction of a second. My fingers developed a muscle memory to know where the right button is beneath my clothing and that's the maximum deviation into real world I am willing to take from being lost in my own world and music when I come across a song I feel like skipping. So, I was just wondering if at all there was any really valid reason in terms of product/sound design for iBasso to decide against retaining the side buttons. I am all for new ideas as long as they add value while replacing the old ones. DX220MAX was one of the ToTL DAPs seriously considered till I came across this little post revealing the fact that it comes with no side buttons - a tiny tiny thing in the big picture but enough of a thing to affect a purchase decision of some people. Hence my curiosity to know if there was a valid design reason behind the missing buttons. Not that iBasso has anything to lose -MAX is after all, a limited release of 1000 units and almost all seem to be selling out soon.
Interesting. I'm completely opposite from you. I was seriously looking for a DAP without any physical buttons. It is difficult for me to press the right button in my pocket. I have to see what I'm pressing. Then when I take it out from my pocket to make sure that I'm pressing the right one, I accidentally hit play/pause button very frequently. Also when I play with the UI, I naturally hold the DAP. Then again I accidentally hit a button because of my grip. I don't like the idea to train myself where to hold the unit. I just want to grab it. For these reasons, it was my long wish to have a DAP without any side buttons. Now I'm happy because Max doesn't have one.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #2,227 of 3,627
Interesting. I'm completely opposite from you. I was seriously looking for a DAP without any physical buttons. It is difficult for me to press the right button in my pocket. I have to see what I'm pressing. Then when I take it out from my pocket to make sure that I'm pressing the right one, I accidentally hit play/pause button very frequently. Also when I play with the UI, I naturally hold the DAP. Then again I accidentally hit a button because of my grip. I don't like the idea to train myself where to hold the unit. I just want to grab it. For these reasons, it was my long wish to have a DAP without any side buttons. Now I'm happy because Max doesn't have one.

Well said! I like the MAX the way that it is

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,228 of 3,627
I love MAX too, and love how it sounds and how solid it feels, but are you guys seriously carrying 750g DAP in your pocket? :D

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,232 of 3,627
I love MAX too, and love how it sounds and how solid it feels, but are you guys seriously carrying 750g DAP in your pocket? :D
Yes, I do!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #2,234 of 3,627
Front jeans pocket to and from work commute today. Three trains!

DE731B61-36D7-4DD8-B44C-F8BD68A980BA.jpeg

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,235 of 3,627
I was at the local audio shop over the weekend to chill.
Right in front of me were 2 rows of DAP. Mischievous hand starts to get a feel on some of the DAPs, and mostly either plasticity light or with rough corners sharp edges.

The demo MAX was placed right in front of these DAPs and in front of me. Naked, I mean without the cover.
Presence, eyes appealing with those gold plated IO and that lovely volume knob.
Its simplicity, silky smooth external simply outclassed those in term of physical appearance, what a beauty so to speak.
And right in front of those DAPs is like a leader of the pack.

IMHO, loving this incredible sounding DAP. Effortless delivery of a kind of ‘cultured’ sound that I have been craving for.

Btw, we use to have a local quote in the old days among my audio buddies- $ per kilo $ for sound- Its weight is worth the cost and the way it sounds is worth paying for.
MAX sits in this category based on my preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back