iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,426 of 3,627
I made some measurements for the WIFI. As said, 2.4 GHz network is pretty unstable and slow. MAX was at 2.09 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 32.1 Mbps @ 5GHz, meaning it is about 15X slower. This has nothing to do with the inherent bandwidth of the networks but is an apparent issue to clarify. Interestingly the upload speed is higher.

In comparison, M15 achieved 21 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 125 Mbps @ 5GHz. I am not expecting the same performance, but just an explanation for the extremely low performance of MAX @ 2.4GHz. It is not about the noise but rather that I can download over a 2.4 network for offline listening. 5GHz network is seldomly available at hotels, mobile hotspots or offices.

The fact that I had to change my router settings for MAX to connect to the 5GHz network is also another issue to clarify, which, I suspect to be related to the country code of the WIFI component.

Well, at the end of the day it all comes down to your priorities as a consumer (vs a few of us here who are reviewers). From my experience of reviewing many DAPs and DAP brands, iBasso's priority as manufacturer was always about sound quality with everything else being an added bonus. That's why they are not chasing after the latest and the fastest processors, or split hairs to optimize wifi performance, or why they include separate Mango OS you can switch to from Android (to leave wifi, BT, and other stuff behind). With iBasso it is always about the best sound performance, and I think with MAX they just wanted to push it to the limit, actually spilling over the limit of portable DAP into transportable footprint :D

So, if 2.4GHz wifi performance is critical to you and at the top of your priority list, MAX is probably not the best choice for you. Just saying. But I know, we all want to find an ideal DAP with everything in it at the top of our priority list. But it is no different than people chasing their dream of end-game IEMs or headphones... You either continue chasing that dream, or settle down after deciding on what compromises you can live with :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,427 of 3,627
So, if 2.4GHz wifi performance is critical to you and at the top of your priority list, MAX is probably not the best choice for you. Just saying. But I know, we all want to find an ideal DAP with everything in it at the top of our priority list. But it is no different than people chasing their dream of end-game IEMs or headphones... You either continue chasing that dream, or settle down after deciding on what compromises you can live with :wink:

Well, as they have their priorities and this feature is an item in that priority list (up or down, that does not matter) and things are not based on black and white measures, it pretty much my right to ask for this gray area which is one of the selling points of this product. If something is for me or not, it is another story, let me decide on that myself. :) But anyway, the point I am trying to reach is something else here.

There is a country code for the WIFI interfaces that defines the communication channel properties. I remember having similar issues while building a Hackintosh laptop and installing a macOS compatible WIFI card on the laptop. Some country settings were unstable. It could be the same issue and 5GHz issue is solved by choosing a different channel, and if it is the case, there is a possibility that the 2.4GHz connection issue might also be related to it and might be possible to solve, and that is the reason I am trying to bring this up. If it is the case it might solve not just mine, also other people's problem.

If it is not related, they can just tell that "this is as much as you will get from 2.4GHz networks", and the issue is closed.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,428 of 3,627
Almost a week into burn-in, and my 4.4mm bal cable finally came in
104315318_1377825195941434_6834444254002561587_n.jpg

PW Audio no. 10 is hella thicc..

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,429 of 3,627
I have now had my Max for a week. I did not start the burn in process right away because I wanted to listen to how it sounded right out of the box, due to work (meetings) and family commitments I did not get to do much listening for the first few days. Yesterday I listened with my ciems for the first time and was quite pleased with the sound. I am not going to describe the sound as most of my listening to has been done while working.
This morning I used my ciems again but after less than an hour I had to stop listening, I am not sure if it was the music (random playlist) or the sound that made me stop. At that point the Max had about 65 hours of use. I let it burn in some more and gave my ciems a go again after 70 hours of total burn in. I spent the next 4 hours listening to the Max with ciems while I worked. The Max has the biggest sound stage I have ever heard in a dap. After my listening session this afternoon I am begining to understand some of the terms I see people using on this site such as "air", "space", "separation" etc..

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #1,431 of 3,627
Such an interesting group... It is OK to talk about the product from "day 1" that the developers could not match the level in more than a year of working what the hackers were able to see by listening to it a few days and identify the fix. And yet, they are the same people that believe in the wonders of burn-in. Then I bring up with a real issue I am experiencing, I am told that maybe this product is not for me.

No wonder it is a place where scammers like Fidelizer can find a customer base.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,432 of 3,627
Has anyone confirmed those usb-to-power cables worked in charging the Amp-section from any USB-charger?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #1,433 of 3,627
Has anyone confirmed those usb-to-power cables worked in charging the Amp-section from any USB-charger?
I am using a single PD charger with two outputs. I can charge the amp section and the DAC section with the charger, no issue. The PD is good up to 20 volts and 90 watts.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #1,434 of 3,627
Power Delivery, so you are using the Usb-c of the charger for the amp? And the usb-A normal charger for the dac section?

Is there a usb-c to appropriate shaped power barrel?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #1,436 of 3,627
Power Delivery, so you are using the Usb-c of the charger for the amp? And the usb-A for the dac section?

Is there a usb-c to appropriate shaped power barrel?
Yes, I posted it a few pages back. USB C to 5.5mm and center 2.1 plug.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #1,437 of 3,627
I have now had my Max for a week. I did not start the burn in process right away because I wanted to listen to how it sounded right out of the box, due to work (meetings) and family commitments I did not get to do much listening for the first few days. Yesterday I listened with my ciems for the first time and was quite pleased with the sound. I am not going to describe the sound as most of my listening to has been done while working.
This morning I used my ciems again but after less than an hour I had to stop listening, I am not sure if it was the music (random playlist) or the sound that made me stop. At that point the Max had about 65 hours of use. I let it burn in some more and gave my ciems a go again after 70 hours of total burn in. I spent the next 4 hours listening to the Max with ciems while I worked. The Max has the biggest sound stage I have ever heard in a dap. After my listening session this afternoon I am begining to understand some of the terms I see people using on this site such as "air", "space", "separation" etc..
Which were your other daps ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #1,438 of 3,627
I am using a single PD charger with two outputs. I can charge the amp section and the DAC section with the charger, no issue. The PD is good up to 20 volts and 90 watts.

Do you know if the PD outputs 18V? I know you can get 12/15/20V but I wonder what the voltage is when you charge the amp section. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,439 of 3,627
Found the post.

My pd charger only reaches 15v/2A. Will using a lower rated output work, but at a slower pace? Maybe better for heat generation?

For topping off over night that is, not for constant never-ending usage.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,440 of 3,627
Do you know if the PD outputs 18V? I know you can get 12/15/20V but I wonder what the voltage is when you charge the amp section. Thanks!
It is putting out 20 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back