iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,848 of 3,626
I wonder if the innovation and technology is finally moving in the right direction! We are getting daps in the under $2k range sounding on par or better than daps costing $3-4k. I always bought daps in the $3-4k range thinking i am getting more for what i paid for or am i getting duped? I mean we have manufacturers like ibasso, hiby, fiio all using high end components like ess, akm, and top of the line silmic, nichicon, and ft capacitors. what are the excuses for other manufacturers for charging $3-4k for their daps?

Hardware based EQ. Dedicated chip for upsampling. More sophisticated clocks to reduce jitter. R2R DAC designs. THX-based amps. There is plenty of room for improvement and innovation.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,849 of 3,626
I wonder if the innovation and technology is finally moving in the right direction! We are getting daps in the under $2k range sounding on par or better than daps costing $3-4k. I always bought daps in the $3-4k range thinking i am getting more for what i paid for or am i getting duped? I mean we have manufacturers like ibasso, hiby, fiio all using high end components like ess, akm, and top of the line silmic, nichicon, and ft capacitors. what are the excuses for other manufacturers for charging $3-4k for their daps?
Maybe they have such a sophisticated amp/dac arquitecture that not even the Mod Masters dare to modify...

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,852 of 3,626
How about a sound impression guys? I think the Max is a little dry sounding and treble can be grainy on string instruments. A little more mid bass sure doesn’t hurt. I am at 150 hours so far. I do like the Max sense of speed, soundstage size, and sense of air quite a bit. Seem to be very detailed too.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,853 of 3,626
How about a sound impression guys? I think the Max is a little dry sounding and treble can be grainy on string instruments. A little more mid bass sure doesn’t hurt. I am at 150 hours so far. I do like the Max sense of speed, soundstage size, and sense of air quite a bit. Seem to be very detailed too.
More time. This thing takes a while to refine.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,854 of 3,626
More time. This thing takes a while to refine.
Like how long? The extra sizzles on piano and string do bother me a bit.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,855 of 3,626
I can't say for sure but I heard refinements through 400 hours.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,856 of 3,626
I have the MAX for about 2 weeks now and I've got to say, that if you're looking for a DAP that highlights the piano's ability to combine notes and make a whole, cohesive, musical note, the MAX ain't it. The detail and layering is, I think, what the MAX is all about. It'll make you notice every single note, for example, on a C Chord. Or if you listen to a well-recorded paradiddle, you'll hear the complete drum strike, like their are two drums being hit instead of one. I guess being dry is how you go about getting this kind of detail and layering. I enjoy it thoroughly, though.

edit: The piano testing part was done personally with a Kawai CN29 midi-out to a laptop to USB-DAC of MAX.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,858 of 3,626
Listening to some Mozart piano concertos right now, excellent. Great attack, timbre and body to the notes as the strings are hit. Also, the size of the piano, as I hear in live music, is hard for a system to convey but I find this extremely good.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #1,860 of 3,626
Tabla, cymbal, drum and whatever they are playing on Saidi Swing sound dynomite on this thing!

yoyo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back