iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #320 of 1,652
I'm considering upgrading from my DX160 to the DX170. Are you able to use the latest version of Tidal or does the 170 suffer from the same issue as the 160 in that you have to use an older version? Thanks

The current version is working fine.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #322 of 1,652
Care to elaborate?
I have had the pleasure of owning the M11 Pro twice, tried the M17, and even my very first serious DAP in the hobby was M6. Apart from these, I have tried the M9, M11(non-Pro), M11 Plus, all these are decent at best.
M11 Pro my biggest complaint was its sound had a thin bass response. It just kills the depths one can have with a good pair. Recently at an event, I tried my friend's M11 Plus, he suggested I use only the DAC and take line-out to a separate amp. I used a Vorguze and the output was much much better. So they have a messed-up headphone out, and the amp section isn't up to the mark. With the M17 I was having good expectations, and it delivers good power too, but I find vocals to be dry/lifeless on the player.

On the other hand, their IEMs are pretty good. I like their FD5, FD3 Pro, and FH7. FH5s also have a good fun sound with a little brittle treble section but overall a good enjoyable set. But for players/sources, am going to keep my distance from FiiO.

P.S these are just my own experience with their sources no offenses to anyone who likes or hates them.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #323 of 1,652
Why is that?
Do you have a so negative personal experience?
Do you have the M11S?
Because I do...
I bought the M11 Pro twice back in the day. AND TBH I used to like it a lot(that's why bought it twice lol). But man when I started exploring other brands, I found M11 Pro to have a leaner bass response. I want my bass to be thick and lush haha. That's where I find the M11 Pro to lack a lot.

Fast forward I found that M11 Pro/Plus has got amazing DAC implementation, it's clean and detailed, but the headphone output is what's messed up.

I met a friend recently at a local retailer's shop. My friend was buying the Shuoer S12 in front of me. I had my Shanling M7 with me at that time, after trying the S12 on both the players, I was keen on my thoughts about lean bass from the M11 Pro.

Also, these impressions are for M11 Pro and Plus with AKM chipsets. Yet to see an ESS one.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #324 of 1,652
From my last two comments, i didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Many of my friends also enjoy FiiO's sources. It's just I couldn't connect. i have spent a good time with them. Maybe the tuning is just not meant for me hehe.

Sorry if anyone felt bad from any of my previous comments about the products :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #325 of 1,652
I bought the M11 Pro twice back in the day. AND TBH I used to like it a lot(that's why bought it twice lol). But man when I started exploring other brands, I found M11 Pro to have a leaner bass response. I want my bass to be thick and lush haha. That's where I find the M11 Pro to lack a lot.

Fast forward I found that M11 Pro/Plus has got amazing DAC implementation, it's clean and detailed, but the headphone output is what's messed up.

I met a friend recently at a local retailer's shop. My friend was buying the Shuoer S12 in front of me. I had my Shanling M7 with me at that time, after trying the S12 on both the players, I was keen on my thoughts about lean bass from the M11 Pro.

Also, these impressions are for M11 Pro and Plus with AKM chipsets. Yet to see an ESS one.
You findings are purely subjective and well respected.
I do agree that the past generation FiiO DAPs wasn't very successful.
But in my - subjective - opinion the M11 Plus LTD, M11 Plus ESS, M17 and M11S (oh yes) are killer products.
Whether you like their sound signature it is (of course) purely subjective but you can't bash them with such a bold statement than your first post.

Now, I think that we are derailing the thread and we should not continue the discussion.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #327 of 1,652
Whether you like their sound signature it is (of course) purely subjective but you can't bash them with such a bold statement than your first post.
Sorry if it felt bashing in the first post mate, wasn't my intention to bash anyone or the brand by any means. M11 Pro ESS is what I am yet to try, also I have no idea about the M11S, is it released yet? can you please tag me in the appropriate post? thanks in advance :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #329 of 1,652
Sorry if it felt bashing in the first post mate, wasn't my intention to bash anyone or the brand by any means. M11 Pro ESS is what I am yet to try, also I have no idea about the M11S, is it released yet? can you please tag me in the appropriate post? thanks in advance :)
I don't know if it is officially released but I have a review sample.
First impressions are very positive but the same also applies to the DX170

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...r-music-it-is-right-here.964120/post-17101038

DAPs are getting better and better for less money.

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #330 of 1,652
DAPs are getting better and better for less money.
Would agree on this part man. I used to own DX160 back in the day. Even at the release and even today, DX160 would have made a pretty good DAP for its price point. I was kind of excited for the DX170 too but then HiBy announced the RS2 and I was running limited on funds. Plus after listening to the RS6 for a few days, I am interested to see what HiBy brings for us with the R2R in a compact form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back