iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #572 of 1,665
I could not decide between the DX170 and M11S on paper so ordered both to see which better fits my DAP needs.

Impressions to follow!

IMG-0295.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #573 of 1,665
I could not decide between the DX170 and M11S on paper so ordered both to see which better fits my DAP needs.

Impressions to follow!

IMG-0295.jpg
looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. I too am considering the Dx170 to replace my aged Hiby R6 (orginal). However wondering if the M11S is worth the extra £100. Mainly use IEMs (fiio and Campfire I/O) but also have a pair of HD600s that I would like to use with the DAP on ocasion.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #574 of 1,665
Puzzled as to why there is no information at all about the DX170 on iBasso.com ???

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #575 of 1,665
looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. I too am considering the Dx170 to replace my aged Hiby R6 (orginal). However wondering if the M11S is worth the extra £100. Mainly use IEMs (fiio and Campfire I/O) but also have a pair of HD600s that I would like to use with the DAP on ocasion.
I have only had the units a couple of days, but the M11S sound is much more refined than the DX170, the DX170 sounding thin in the mids and spikey in the treble. The M11S is also miles better built and feels like a quality product, whereas the DX170 feels cheap albeit lighter.

I am still evaluating, but it looks like the DX170 will be going back.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #576 of 1,665
I have only had the units a couple of days, but the M11S sound is much more refined than the DX170, the DX170 sounding thin in the mids and spikey in the treble. The M11S is also miles better built and feels like a quality product, whereas the DX170 feels cheap albeit lighter.

I am still evaluating, but it looks like the DX170 will be going back.
Wow, you are listening to a different DX170 than what I am using. That does not describe the sound at all like what I hear. There is nothing wrong with the build of the DX170. Hardly cheap feeling.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #578 of 1,665
Wow, you are listening to a different DX170 than what I am using. That does not describe the sound at all like what I hear. There is nothing wrong with the build of the DX170. Hardly cheap feeling.
I totally agree. The DX170 has plenty of body in the mids and the treble is beautifully extended and detailed.

What I found is that the DX170 really starts to excel after an extended burn in period (50 hours plus) to reach its full potential.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #579 of 1,665
I totally agree. The DX170 has plenty of body in the mids and the treble is beautifully extended and detailed.

What I found is that the DX170 really starts to excel after an extended burn in period (50 hours plus) to reach its full potential.
Yes, most any dap I give 100 hours or more.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #581 of 1,665
I think the Android 11 on this unit has won me over. I stream (almost exclusively), so the piece of mind that it will work for years is a strong argument for it. Plus is sounds like it pairs nicely with external DACs, meaning I can hook up the Mojo or Hugo 2 when I am not literally moving on the go.

Silly superficial questions:

I read that the build quality is great. Is the aluminum finish on this as solid feeling as on, say, the Mojo?

And... does the finish on the black and grey versions feel the same in the hand?

Meaning... is one the original material and the other just the original + color thereby feeling more artificial? I kind of like the look of the grey, but I want to make sure it's the same tactile experience as the black version.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #582 of 1,665
I think the Android 11 on this unit has won me over. I stream (almost exclusively), so the piece of mind that it will work for years is a strong argument for it. Plus is sounds like it pairs nicely with external DACs, meaning I can hook up the Mojo or Hugo 2 when I am not literally moving on the go.

Silly superficial questions:

I read that the build quality is great. Is the aluminum finish on this as solid feeling as on, say, the Mojo?

And... does the finish on the black and grey versions feel the same in the hand?

Meaning... is one the original material and the other just the original + color thereby feeling more artificial? I kind of like the look of the grey, but I want to make sure it's the same tactile experience as the black version.
It is not as solid felling as a Mojo, the metal is thinner to keep weight down.

I have the grey model and it feels great in the hand, certainly not artificial.

I was comparing streaming earlier today with Tidal, the M11S and DX170 had roughly the same speed scrolling and selecting tracks, I thought the DX170 would have been slower, but this is not the case in my A/B.

My DX170 is burning in nicely and sounds a little better.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #583 of 1,665
My journey with the DX170 has ended and it has been returned to the supplier.

For me, SQ is king and the DX170 just did not cut it compared to the M11S. What sealed it was playing both devices back through the line out into my main HiFi system, clearly showing the M11S came closest to my dCS Rossini APEX DAC.

In fairness, the M11S does not sound that good either, but it is better than the DX170.

I also do a lot of streaming with my DAP, so the considerably larger battery in the M11S was invaluable.

The usual caveats apply; my system, my ears and my tastes!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #584 of 1,665

For me, SQ is king and the DX170 just did not cut it compared to the M11S. What sealed it was playing both devices back through the line out into my main HiFi system, clearly showing the M11S came closest to my dCS Rossini APEX DAC.

Interesting. What are your thoughts on why the sound quality was lower when in line out mode? I was hoping that, when paired with my Hugo 2 via line out, it wouldn't make a difference whether I use the DX170 or some flagship DAP. Interested on why there might be a difference there.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #585 of 1,665

I also do a lot of streaming with my DAP, so the considerably larger battery in the M11S was invaluable.

The usual caveats apply; my system, my ears and my tastes!
SQ is king for me too. My experience of the following sources into my desktop system are as follows:

Samsung S21 Ultra via USB = Poor
iBasso DX170 via line out 3.5 = OK
FiiO M15 via line out 3.5 = Slightly better
Raspberry Pi 4 with Volumio via USB = Exceptional

The difference moving from my old FiiO to the Raspberry 4 made such a huge jump in sound quality it felt that I had doubled the overall price of my desktop system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back