iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Oct 14, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,486 of 1,665
Is there any new information available regarding the potential use of Roon ARC to fully utilize the internal DAC at its highest resolution?

Additionally, have any alternative methods or workarounds been identified, such as the installation of a Roon bridge or another Android application to configure as an "endpoint device" with access to the complete range of DAC capabilities?

It's noteworthy that while other player applications like Qobuz, Neutron, Foobar, Poweramp, or USB Audio Player Pro work smoothly with the Hi-res DAC port on this device, seems Roon is the only one encountering issues.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,488 of 1,665
HI everyone. I just acquired the DX170 - and even with the rather slow GUI interface and limited battery time I think it is pretty spectacular (for my use case)! I do find that with my open-back Sennheiser DX6xx the sound is terrific, but with bluetooth Sony WH1000MX5s the bass is pretty boomy and requires a tweak with the equalizer - it is such an upgrade from my Pixel phone!

I read that there can be difficulties using the USB DAC function - I have tried numerous cables and USB-A-C converters with the original cable on my M1 MacBook Pro and Studio, and when switched to the function in Mango there is no recognition by the OS. It doesn't appear in the devices, and doesn't appear as any output option. Has anyone solved that issue with specific cables, hubs, or converters?

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,489 of 1,665
HI everyone. I just acquired the DX170 - and even with the rather slow GUI interface and limited battery time I think it is pretty spectacular (for my use case)! I do find that with my open-back Sennheiser DX6xx the sound is terrific, but with bluetooth Sony WH1000MX5s the bass is pretty boomy and requires a tweak with the equalizer - it is such an upgrade from my Pixel phone!

I read that there can be difficulties using the USB DAC function - I have tried numerous cables and USB-A-C converters with the original cable on my M1 MacBook Pro and Studio, and when switched to the function in Mango there is no recognition by the OS. It doesn't appear in the devices, and doesn't appear as any output option. Has anyone solved that issue with specific cables, hubs, or converters?

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,490 of 1,665
@Paul - iBasso i found a ui issue with the ibasso launcher. sometimes the top status bar doesnt work as it should, colour wise.

see the below example from bandcamp app. when you change to certain screens the top status bar icons disappear due to the colour not reacting as it should. shown next to pixel phone for example

Screenshot_20230226-081558.png
above ibasso

below pixel
Screenshot_20230226-081947.png
@Paul - iBasso any updates coming soon? be nice to get the ui fixed. the problem i showed above about 9 months ago now. also chromecast?

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,491 of 1,665
I am eager to get a good DAP. Having LG V10 / V20 / G7...they all annihilated and destroyed Sony NW-A55 with Mr. Walkman`s mod. Focal Listen Pro is incredibly detailed with sparkling treble and bags of detail and separation. Maybe I should get something better as headphones? Denon 9200 was the only impressive one after 30 higher end headphones that I auditioned during a few days.
I read so many reviews that DX170 is incredibly musical and fun, beating 2x-3x more expensive DAPs. I have tried Ibasso DC03 Pro and xDuoo Link 2 Bal, both also CS-based like the DX170...and they could not beat any of my LG phones. V10 is incredibly smooth, detailed and forgiving even with the worst MP3 files. So, would anyone guess if DX170 is a significatn step up from LG QUAD DAC, please?

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #1,492 of 1,665
I am eager to get a good DAP. Having LG V10 / V20 / G7...they all annihilated and destroyed Sony NW-A55 with Mr. Walkman`s mod. Focal Listen Pro is incredibly detailed with sparkling treble and bags of detail and separation. Maybe I should get something better as headphones? Denon 9200 was the only impressive one after 30 higher end headphones that I auditioned during a few days.
I read so many reviews that DX170 is incredibly musical and fun, beating 2x-3x more expensive DAPs. I have tried Ibasso DC03 Pro and xDuoo Link 2 Bal, both also CS-based like the DX170...and they could not beat any of my LG phones. V10 is incredibly smooth, detailed and forgiving even with the worst MP3 files. So, would anyone guess if DX170 is a significatn step up from LG QUAD DAC, please?
I've had de dc04pro and now have the dx170. This is a big step up in sound and power. The dx170 is great but not smooth, it's very natural and musical but it's not Sony walkman smooth (I have the zx507 too, which I like because it's smooth over 4.4mm).
I had the hiby r5 gen 2 great player but don't like the Sabre glare, the dx170 sound wise is super, battery is meh, and not a super fast player. You really need to use the dx170 over 4.4mm to get the most out of it (6.4vrms).

Ofcourse for iems the 3.5mm is more than enough but the d9200 needs a good source to not sound "harsh" I would suggest running that from 4.4mm (if you still have it)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,493 of 1,665
I only have HD 599 SE and the cheapest $ 15 balanced 4.4mm silver plated cable from AliExpress... isn't 9200 overkill for portable use? I don't know if it's the cable, but I don't like the sound from xDuoo Link2 Bal via 4.4mm...too forward and pushes most of the music way far back, like a bathroom effect from EQ. Of course, it's better than any EQ.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,497 of 1,665
I use mine with my TH900 and Shure SE846. I have a young daughter so stationery listening became a thing of the past 18 months ago and the DX170 is now my sole source. It's small, light and beautifully machined. In fact, it probably has better industrial design than both it's more expensive siblings; the frame around the volume wheel is elegantly sculpted outwards to protect it from accidental knocks which is missing on the the DX240 and DX320. I did have the LG V30 as a portable source some years ago, and whilst it was very good, especially for a smartphone, I am not really a fan of Sabre DACs - too clinical for my liking.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,500 of 1,665
Thanks! How does it compare to the more expensive siblings, and to the LG? Sabre DAC has trucks of detail, so the LG might be more resolving?

I'd doubt it given the age of the ESS chips in the V series phones. My desktop source was/is a Dangerous Music Source monitor controller mainly aimed at professional studio use which is 10 years old in design but still retailing for north of £1k, and the CS chips in the DX170 sound more detailed.

edit
I forgot to answer your other question. I can't compare to the other models as I've not heard them, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back