iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,583 of 1,634
Long short, this is a terrible DAP lol I bought it based on this thread other reviews. I read the first 50 pages looking for solutions to trying to get the most out of the DX170.
My background in DAP has been with Cowon DAPs, loved everyone especially the J10. I'm not trying to be negative and I've spent time trying to make this DAP work, I'm not asking for a lot but the things that are important (which this DAP claims to have or do) it doesn't. And yes I have updated it to the latest firmware that's listed on the first page.

1. OS is just laggy and terrible, its not refined or smooth to scroll, there are times I hit the OS buttons and nothing happens for 5-10 secs.
I've followed the helpful suggestions in this thread and shut down everything that uses memory. In 2024 honestly is a disgrace, ibasso should be embarrassed with the OS performance.
2. Which brings me on the concerning part, so I use the JetAudio app (paid version) and the only app running, the DAP is so hot that you can't touch it for more than a few secs, I'm on an aircraft, battery going to blow? very concerning how hot this thing gets. I'm trying to cool it down with it on a cool metal arm rest with the AC blowing down on it.
3. Battery life, maybe 4hrs? what happened to 11hrs (+/- 2/3 hrs) I suspect it with the DAP getting hot, has a lot to do with the battery life, JetAudio app might not be coded correct, and I have to take that into account.
4. Not enough power? so for a headset I am using the Bose qc ultra (wired) headphones, does'nt sound as loud as the Cowon DAPs, plus you can't go beyond 100% on volume.

Honestly I don't know what to think, I see many people happy with it in this thread and that's great. For me, this is a short term solution until I find something else.
Am I missing something here? I'm I expecting too much? Happy hear some thoughts.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #1,584 of 1,634
Long short, this is a terrible DAP lol I bought it based on this thread other reviews. I read the first 50 pages looking for solutions to trying to get the most out of the DX170.
My background in DAP has been with Cowon DAPs, loved everyone especially the J10. I'm not trying to be negative and I've spent time trying to make this DAP work, I'm not asking for a lot but the things that are important (which this DAP claims to have or do) it doesn't. And yes I have updated it to the latest firmware that's listed on the first page.

1. OS is just laggy and terrible, its not refined or smooth to scroll, there are times I hit the OS buttons and nothing happens for 5-10 secs.
I've followed the helpful suggestions in this thread and shut down everything that uses memory. In 2024 honestly is a disgrace, ibasso should be embarrassed with the OS performance.
2. Which brings me on the concerning part, so I use the JetAudio app (paid version) and the only app running, the DAP is so hot that you can't touch it for more than a few secs, I'm on an aircraft, battery going to blow? very concerning how hot this thing gets. I'm trying to cool it down with it on a cool metal arm rest with the AC blowing down on it.
3. Battery life, maybe 4hrs? what happened to 11hrs (+/- 2/3 hrs) I suspect it with the DAP getting hot, has a lot to do with the battery life, JetAudio app might not be coded correct, and I have to take that into account.
4. Not enough power? so for a headset I am using the Bose qc ultra (wired) headphones, does'nt sound as loud as the Cowon DAPs, plus you can't go beyond 100% on volume.

Honestly I don't know what to think, I see many people happy with it in this thread and that's great. For me, this is a short term solution until I find something else.
Am I missing something here? I'm I expecting too much? Happy hear some thoughts.
New or used? I get 10 to 11 hours and it most definitely is not laggy.

Don't know what to tell you. I would do a factory reset for starters.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,586 of 1,634
Brand new
Good evening,

It all depends on your use. The DX170 is the entry level at iBasso. It only has 2GB of RAM which is the reason for its slowness but we can get used to it. For me the DX170 is not really suitable for streaming use because in this case the Wifi is activated, the battery will drain quickly (it is not very big) and it will heat up. On the other hand, if you use it to read your music on SD cards, I advise you to deactivate Wifi, some also recommend removing APKpure after installing the Play Store (from Chrome you can always reload APKpure if you need it ). For my part without WiFi, the autonomy is quite correct and it does not heat up. The sound of the DX170 is very good for its price and iBasso is a serious brand that offers very good products but perhaps the DX170 is not suitable for your use.

NB: before taking the DX170, I was also interested in the SR35 which is the entry level from Astell & Kern. It also has excellent sound and the brand also has an excellent reputation and a very good product. It also only has 2GB of RAM and also suffers from the same slowness as the DX170 but it costs twice as much as the DX170. there are of course other brands and other DAPs. As with everything, you have to define your needs and take what is best suited to your budget. Sorry if it is not suitable for your use but it is an excellent DAP with its advantages and disadvantages like all DAPs. There is no DAP that we will not blame!!!

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,587 of 1,634
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #1,588 of 1,634
It needs to burn in. Also the battery has to form.

I was thinking if the device is getting very hot and can't get Bose QC Ultra headphones to full volume then it sounds like a faulty unit to me?

I haven't experienced any heat issues with my DX170 and I am using more demanding headphones at high volumes

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #1,589 of 1,634
I was thinking if the device is getting very hot and can't get Bose QC Ultra headphones to full volume then it sounds like a faulty unit to me?

I haven't experienced any heat issues with my DX170 and I am using more demanding headphones at high volumes
Mine doesn’t get hot, no matter what I use.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #1,590 of 1,634
Good morning

Looking a little closer at your headset, I saw that it is a noise canceling headset that works either via bluetooth or wired and with a battery. Its operation does not allow use without food of the entire noise reduction and sound management system. Which means that if the battery is insufficiently charged, it is the source (here the DAP) which is responsible for powering the entire system. Have you done any usage testing with a fully charged battery. The battery life tests communicated by Bose are 24 hours or 18 hours but in Bluetooth (not wired) and with a sound setting well below 100% Volume as you seem to use it. As I said before, the battery is not very big but the DX170 is powerful enough to power very demanding headphones. However, wanting to use headphones at 100% volume not only harms your ears and the quality of the sound you hear but also consumes a lot of energy. Another point, do you plug your headset into the 3.5 or 2.5 port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back