iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,561 of 1,634
I meant exactly every word I wrote there. And I say it publicly: don't get this device, as its OS is terribly out of date and that will make it last very little even in third party support. As much as it Sounds Good.
Well I was trying to help. But I will state that I don't have any issues with using the DX170.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #1,562 of 1,634
Well I was trying to help. But I will state that I don't have any issues with using the DX170.
I too have had nothing but a pretty good experience sound wise. I have 2 peevs:

1) The UI when streaming (Apple Music) is a little too slow in keeping up with the selections - this is a minor issue
2) The battery life when using a streaming service is shocking. I get about 3 hrs if it isn't connected to a power source - this is a big issue

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,563 of 1,634
I meant exactly every word I wrote there. And I say it publicly: don't get this device, as its OS is terribly out of date and that will make it last very little even in third party support. As much as it Sounds Good.
Well I guess that just shows you can't please all the people all the time. The OS works just fine for the native Mango application, as well as most 3rd party players I have used. If you are expecting phone-like operation or want to use apps that are not related to playing music, this is not your device.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #1,564 of 1,634
Hello everyone and Happy New Year 2024!

New user of a DX170, I am delighted with this DAP and the Player Mango, however I have a few comments for the attention of the iBasso team.

Liking listening to classical music, among other things, I deplore the Mango Player's shortcomings on this point:
- there is no consideration of the Composer (who is not necessarily the artist if the album is linked to a conductor for example, or a performer).
And if we would like to go further in the management of Tags linked to classical music, we would have to add the consideration of the conductor, the formation (orchestra), the soloist(s) (piano, violin, etc.) of the Record companies.

But already if you could add the composer that would be an excellent thing and I don't think that adding the consideration of a tag is very complicated.

Small questions: will there be one or more new DAPs for this year 2024 and will Android v11 be the latest version on DX170?

Thank you @Paul - iBasso for your response which I will read carefully…

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #1,565 of 1,634
Hello everyone and Happy New Year 2024!

New user of a DX170, I am delighted with this DAP and the Player Mango, however I have a few comments for the attention of the iBasso team.

Liking listening to classical music, among other things, I deplore the Mango Player's shortcomings on this point:
- there is no consideration of the Composer (who is not necessarily the artist if the album is linked to a conductor for example, or a performer).
And if we would like to go further in the management of Tags linked to classical music, we would have to add the consideration of the conductor, the formation (orchestra), the soloist(s) (piano, violin, etc.) of the Record companies.

But already if you could add the composer that would be an excellent thing and I don't think that adding the consideration of a tag is very complicated.

Small questions: will there be one or more new DAPs for this year 2024 and will Android v11 be the latest version on DX170?

Thank you @Paul - iBasso for your response which I will read carefully…
Ibasso announced the DX260 and it looks like from what I have read that it starts shipping in a few days.

I list everything by alphabetical order and then if I want a conductor within a composers music, I don't really find it hard to come up with that. But, I understand your point.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #1,566 of 1,634
Good evening,

you indicate that you list everything in alphabetical order but the alphabetical order of what?
let's take for example the album of Vivaldi's 4 seasons conducted by Claude Abbado and with Victoria Mullova as Violin in 1987. I also have Vivaldi's 4 seasons conducted by Claude Abbado and with Gidon Kremer as Violin in 1981. If I put as artist the composer, I will only have Vivaldi and my other CDs conducted by Karajan or Pinnock will not be differentiated if I put the conductor as Artist then I can no longer see the works of the same composer. In Classical music, the composer is as important as the "album artist" who can sometimes be the conductor or the soloist. In addition, we generally listen to an album and we do not necessarily want to navigate in a list or if it is the artist of the album which is used for sorting, we will, depending on the case, mix the composer, the conductor or the soloist without mentioning compilations of genres where composers, conductors and soloists are mixed…

I don't expect that we can differentiate between Composer, Conductor and Soloist but if at least we have the composer specified, then with the artist of the album, we could already have at least two important elements of discrimination.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,567 of 1,634
Good evening,

you indicate that you list everything in alphabetical order but the alphabetical order of what?
let's take for example the album of Vivaldi's 4 seasons conducted by Claude Abbado and with Victoria Mullova as Violin in 1987. I also have Vivaldi's 4 seasons conducted by Claude Abbado and with Gidon Kremer as Violin in 1981. If I put as artist the composer, I will only have Vivaldi and my other CDs conducted by Karajan or Pinnock will not be differentiated if I put the conductor as Artist then I can no longer see the works of the same composer. In Classical music, the composer is as important as the "album artist" who can sometimes be the conductor or the soloist. In addition, we generally listen to an album and we do not necessarily want to navigate in a list or if it is the artist of the album which is used for sorting, we will, depending on the case, mix the composer, the conductor or the soloist without mentioning compilations of genres where composers, conductors and soloists are mixed…

I don't expect that we can differentiate between Composer, Conductor and Soloist but if at least we have the composer specified, then with the artist of the album, we could already have at least two important elements of discrimination.
Vivaldi is listed alphabetically as are all the other composers, but I also like the composer 1st in the download, so that makes it easy.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,568 of 1,634

Classical music and how it is browsed differently than modern popular music cataloging is a common complaint. The native Mango player handles Classical music in a basic way. But fortunately with the Android OS there are other free/paid player apps that may be more suitable for your use case. Foobar Mobile, GoneMAD, Neutron, and Poweramp all support the Composer tag and easily can browse that way. Foobar goes further and also has advanced browsing by Conductor, Chorus, Orchestra, Soloist and more. I'm sure there are other apps as well, but I have used these on my DX160 and found them to have a better overall UI experience that the included Mango player, IMO.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #1,569 of 1,634
Thank you for these suggestions.

I also saw Onkyo HF Player which also manages composers. I haven't yet looked at what Foobar looks like on Android. I really like Mango Player's very neat interface. While waiting for iBasso, I hope, to integrate composer management. At worst, I will use Onkyo HF Player or Foobar (if it suits me) for Classical music and Mango Player for my other types of music.

Thank you all for your Player suggestions but being a software developer myself (on MacOS), I prefer that good developers like the Mango player team improve their software because each developer must take into account as much as possible comments from its users. They can be satisfied if they are listened to and it is also a guarantee of loyalty if we know that we are heard. And for developers it’s rewarding when users are satisfied with the work we do…

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,570 of 1,634
selling my ibasso. £250 shipped. comes boxed with all accessories and ill add in the miter case i bought with it. ive had a screen protector on it since i bought it and its in perfect nick. prefer uk buyer

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #1,571 of 1,634
While waiting for iBasso, I hope, to integrate composer management.
I wouldn't hold my breath for this. Mango player has been used on many iBasso devices over many years and has yet to have the Composer tag added to the library database for browsing. And since the other description tags like Conductor, Orchestra, etc. are even less "standard" these are even less likely to get added.

I haven't used Mango in years for this reason. (Well also the very slow file scanning too)

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #1,572 of 1,634
If anyone wants to test the soundmoded firmware for DX170, please PM me. You need to know how to flash it using RKDevTool. In this mod most of android effects are disabled and DAP is using direct_pcm output. Positioning of instruments and stage depth has become much better.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #1,573 of 1,634
If anyone wants to test the soundmoded firmware for DX170, please PM me. You need to know how to flash it using RKDevTool. In this mod most of android effects are disabled and DAP is using direct_pcm output. Positioning of instruments and stage depth has become much better.
Thanks for sharing
I'm trying your mod right now. It sounds lovely.
I'm not sure I'm able to compare correctly since I only have one device, but positioning of instruments seems improved.
Thanks again bden59

Users who are viewing this thread

• dgjl
Back