iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #107 of 1,635
Spotify I would say, their UI is one of the best. Except for the push for podcast contents

Ok
Here we go. No sound except a whisper at the end. (I want to avoid the youtube ban hammer copyright thing).
It is synced well when i push play.
You can see the ui responsiveness

I have most of what i want on micro sd cards. But this little taste of streaming services - after a long time even on this free mid res version sounds great and this old luddite is tempted to have more of it…

Again…

Note:
Results in wifi speed will vary country to country (internet infrastructure), router brand and make, 5G versus 2G, distance from the router, whether its the main router or secondary one …. - all this beyond the dap itself.

And various streaming apps behave differently with different fw versions and daps and according to their updates etc

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #108 of 1,635
Damn... Ibasso might have my money again... Some one tell me to stop!

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #109 of 1,635
I have most of what i want on micro sd cards. But this little taste of streaming services - after a long time even on this free mid res version sounds great and this old luddite is tempted to have more of it…

AURORA is great!
Damn... Ibasso might have my money again... Some one tell me to stop!
Mmmhh… is that really how we would help you, or should we help you overcome your doubts and get yourself a nice new DAP? 😈

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #110 of 1,635
I have the DX170 here in grey (love the grey). Sound is sweet, dynamic and exceeds the price. WiFi and BT, excellent, as good as my iPhone 13 Pro. Weight, same as the DX160. It just sounds so good. Oh, and the function time is fast, no lag at all that I have noticed. And the sound, again, is a bit more "live" sounding that the DX160. So all the way around, it seems to do it all. :^)

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #112 of 1,635
So, I got DX170 a few days ago, kept it on burn in over the weekend, and I did ran a quick AnTuTu 3D benchmark test. The new RK3566 Rockchip blows RK30xy (DX160) out of the water with 45% improved score performance, even faster than some Snapdragon 430/435 based daps. AnTuTu 3D benchmark scores are below, and please keep in mind that I'm using older 8.4.3 version of benchmark app to keep it consistent when comparing to other daps I measured in the past. Obviously, it's not Snapdragon 660, but it is faster than Rockchip SoC used in DX160 and older gen DX200/220, and it is noticeable in performance of UI.

Also, it is true, both CS43131 (DX170) and CS49198 (DX160) are from the same family of CS masterHIFI dacs with one of the main differences of 43131 having integrated amp for portable use, though it doesn't matter since DX170, just like DX160, uses its own internal amp ckt, boosting bal output to 6.4Vrms. I need a little more burn in time, but can hear already 170 soundstage being bigger and wider, and also a noticeable improvement in vertical dynamics, making 160 sound a bit compressed in comparison (credit here probably goes to 170 internal amp as the contributing factor).

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE that volume button is now integrated with power on/off, instead of a separate power button like in DX160. Especially for a screen on/off, it is so much more convenient when dealing with a combined power/volume wheel-button. DX170 is still very compact, though a bit taller, as you can see from comparison pictures below.

ibasso-dx170-x01.jpg ibasso-dx170-x02.jpgibasso-dx170-x03.jpg ibasso-dx170-x04.jpgibasso-dx170-x05.jpg ibasso-dx170-x06.jpg

ibasso-dx170-x07.jpg ibasso-dx170-x08.jpg

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #115 of 1,635
So, I got DX170 a few days ago, kept it on burn in over the weekend, and I did ran a quick AnTuTu 3D benchmark test. The new RK3566 Rockchip blows RK30xy (DX160) out of the water with 45% improved score performance, even faster than some Snapdragon 430/435 based daps. AnTuTu 3D benchmark scores are below, and please keep in mind that I'm using older 8.4.3 version of benchmark app to keep it consistent when comparing to other daps I measured in the past. Obviously, it's not Snapdragon 660, but it is faster than Rockchip SoC used in DX160 and older gen DX200/220, and it is noticeable in performance of UI.

Also, it is true, both CS43131 (DX170) and CS49198 (DX160) are from the same family of CS masterHIFI dacs with one of the main differences of 43131 having integrated amp for portable use, though it doesn't matter since DX170, just like DX160, uses its own internal amp ckt, boosting bal output to 6.4Vrms. I need a little more burn in time, but can hear already 170 soundstage being bigger and wider, and also a noticeable improvement in vertical dynamics, making 160 sound a bit compressed in comparison (credit here probably goes to 170 internal amp as the contributing factor).

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE that volume button is now integrated with power on/off, instead of a separate power button like in DX160. Especially for a screen on/off, it is so much more convenient when dealing with a combined power/volume wheel-button. DX170 is still very compact, though a bit taller, as you can see from comparison pictures below.

I hate all of you and myself :sob:

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #116 of 1,635
@twister6 any chance you can check the ability to subdue the treble peakiness and sibilance with the DX170 and some harsh hp like the 909, 900 mk2 or beyer stuffs. Thank you!

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #117 of 1,635
I hate all of you and myself :sob:

Duly noted, I will stop talking about $449 DX170, which btw I noticed already available on Bloom Audio for pre-order, and will switch to a discussion of half of dozen of other $3.5k-$4k DAPs :p

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #118 of 1,635
@twister6 any chance you can check the ability to subdue the treble peakiness and sibilance with the DX170 and some harsh hp like the 909, 900 mk2 or beyer stuffs. Thank you!

That's relative to the tuning of your headphones and your ear sensitivity to lower treble peaks. In this particular pair up case, the source shouldn't contribute to any extra peaks in lower treble to exaggerate sibilance. iBasso daps, including DX170, come with a very powerful graphic and parametric EQ. PEQ will be your friend to narrow down to that specific 6k or 7k peak or anything in between, including controlling the bandwidth of the parametric EQ band, so you can attenuate down the peak which causing the sibilance. Shouldn't be an issue with DX170.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #119 of 1,635
I love everything about this DAP except where iBasso likes to put the USB-C port on their DAPs. WHY on top?!? So stupid. :angry:

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #120 of 1,635
I love everything about this DAP except where iBasso likes to put the USB-C port on their DAPs. WHY on top?!? So stupid. :angry:
Interesting. I have never found that an issue, in fact I prefer it on top and the phone and line out on the bottom. Makes it much easier for me to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back