iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #331 of 6,983
no, but when you spend money with a company you shouldn't have to go through constant upgrade cycles to get the device to function as advertised. add new features, sure that is acceptable, but basic functionality (i.e. power management etc.) is paramount in my world

Just to elaborate more on this topic, most of the apps can be downloaded from APKpure and CoolAPK apps which come already pre-installed on DX160. There are a few exceptions, I guess like UAPP (I don't use it personally) where you need Google Play store, but majority of other popular apps don't require you to install GP, just use APKpure or CoolAPK to download and to install.

20190925_204538_resized.jpg

But, if you want Google Play or want to use the app which requires GP authentication, Lurker's ROM will have it included. He has it for most of iBasso DAPs, it's free: https://lurker00.github.io/Firmware-for-iBasso-DAPs/. Download zip file, follow steps in "readme.txt" which pretty much like "instruction for dummies", and you will have Play store and other stuff installed.

As an example (from dx220), here is copy'n'paste of those instructions (all the files, programs, etc., included in zip file):

1. Start AndroidTool from this particular folder.
2. Turn DX220 off.
3. Press and hold Play button.
4. Connect DX220 to PC USB port.
5. Wait until "No Device Found" changed to "Found ONE Loader Device" at the bottom.
6. Click "Run" button.
7. Wait for "Downloaded image OK" at the right panel.
8. Close AndroidTool.
9. Disconnect DX220 from PC.
10. Turn DX220 on.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #332 of 6,983
It's time to write something about DX160 :)

If a DAP was done right both hardware and software wise, its sound quality is more subject of personal preferences, regardless of price difference. It is especially applicable to devices made by iBasso, because they always try to squeeze the maximum, and are limited only by the final cost set. DX200 was huge step forward. DX150 was cheaper, but I know many people who prefer it over DX200. DX220 is considered as an improvement over both for no surprise, but now we have DX160 after DX220...

Soon you'll see comprehensive reviews, and I'm not the person who writes them. It is well known that @Paul - iBasso sends me new devices for free, and I'm free to choose the one to listen to. For a long time it was DX200CuAu #13 with either its AMP1CuAu, or, recently, with AMP9. DX160 has impressed me as much that I think it will make DX200CuAu to retire. It impressed me out of the box, without burning in. Impressed as much that, unlike with DX150 and DX220 (when I simply re-used the experience from DX200 firmware), I decided to spend some days for making it even better... as I believe :)

So, here it is: add-on for DX160 firmware version 1.00.055 (which I found out of the box).
Highlights:
  • Google Play Market.
  • Less power consumption during music playback.
  • New: Performance tweak for most popular music players (Neutron, UAPP, Tidal, Spotify).
  • New: Mango OS (taken from DX220, there are some restrictions).
  • New: based on Magisk 19.3, which is more efficient than older versions.
  • Full list of changes is here.
It does not void you warranty. I provide a way to revert back to the official firmware, if you decide to. Come on and give it a try!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #333 of 6,983
Just to elaborate more on this topic, most of the apps can be downloaded from APKpure and CoolAPK apps which come already pre-installed on DX160. There are a few exceptions, I guess like UAPP (I don't use it personally) where you need Google Play store, but majority of other popular apps don't require you to install GP, just use APKpure or CoolAPK to download and to install.

But, if you want Google Play or want to use the app which requires GP authentication, Lurker's ROM will have it included. He has it for most of iBasso DAPs, it's free: https://lurker00.github.io/Firmware-for-iBasso-DAPs/. Download zip file, follow steps in "readme.txt" which pretty much like "instruction for dummies", and you will have Play store and other stuff installed.

As an example (from dx220), here is copy'n'paste of those instructions (all the files, programs, etc., included in zip file):

1. Start AndroidTool from this particular folder.
2. Turn DX220 off.
3. Press and hold Play button.
4. Connect DX220 to PC USB port.
5. Wait until "No Device Found" changed to "Found ONE Loader Device" at the bottom.
6. Click "Run" button.
7. Wait for "Downloaded image OK" at the right panel.
8. Close AndroidTool.
9. Disconnect DX220 from PC.
10. Turn DX220 on.

Look at lurkers post below yours

• New: Performance tweak for most popular music players (Neutron, UAPP, Tidal, Spotify).
why cant the manufacturer do that?

and my critique comes from an understanding of what Android is, how it functions, and some if not all of its limitations

so thanks for an explanation that kinda proves my point

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #334 of 6,983
why cant the manufacturer do that?
Because, strictly speaking, most things that I do are illegal for a manufacturer:
  • "Less power consumption during music playback" - I run the SoC out of Rockchip's specification.
  • "Performance tweak" - the manufacturer can't make preferences to some software company.
  • Mango OS: The only exception, but supporting it on DX160 means increase of the cost.
  • Magisk: did you ever see Magisk officially pre-installed?
Same with Play Market: it is back to impossible for iBasso to pass Google certification, but Google allows to install it by custom ROM builders (me).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #335 of 6,983
Because, strictly speaking, most things that I do are illegal for a manufacturer:
  • "Less power consumption during music playback" - I run the SoC out of Rockchip's specification.
  • "Performance tweak" - the manufacturer can't make preferences to some software company.
  • Mango OS: The only exception, but supporting it on DX160 means increase of the cost.
  • Magisk: did you ever see Magisk officially pre-installed?
Same with Play Market: it is back to impossible for iBasso to pass Google certification, but Google allows to install it by custom ROM builders (me).

I understand the issue with Playstore.

I am more questioning the why the power and memory management isn't used. also there is a reason why android phones started using large amounts of RAM . so yes I have a bias against Android as a music player o/s and avoid it at all costs

sorry I had the nerve to question the operating system of everyone's favorite OEM.

keep on struggling to find that golden sound

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #336 of 6,983
I understand the issue with Playstore.

I am more questioning the why the power and memory management isn't used. also there is a reason why android phones started using large amounts of RAM . so yes I have a bias against Android as a music player o/s and avoid it at all costs

sorry I had the nerve to question the operating system of everyone's favorite OEM.

keep on struggling to find that golden sound

If you don’t mind, can I ask why you avoid andriod as an o/s at all costs? You seem to be knowledgeable on this subject and I am keen to understand the potential issues.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #337 of 6,983
So I'm waiting on a pre-order ibasso DX160 n the UK. I'm migrating from the FiiO M9 where we have all the Google Play problems too because the FiiO cannot run it. FiiO had a very narrow whitelist but have progressively opened the whitelist up since the M11 came out. So we are used to loading/side-loading from APKPURE. It is a pretty simple affair. Where licences are needed, such as Poweramp and Neutron there are routines to buy and license for the M9, which actually have caused lots of confusion for some. I never ran a licensed version so best look at M9 thread to find out how to do it. Of course if their is a reworked firmware with a Google Play that runs there will be no problem, but for those who cannot get that firmware check on the M9 thread if you want to run Poweramp or Neutron. How does the DX160 compare to the FiiO M9 soundwise? I would appreciate it if someone will make that comparison. Also does Spotify run smoothly on the DX160?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #338 of 6,983
So I'm waiting on a pre-order ibasso DX160 n the UK. I'm migrating from the FiiO M9 where we have all the Google Play problems too because the FiiO cannot run it. FiiO had a very narrow whitelist but have progressively opened the whitelist up since the M11 came out. So we are used to loading/side-loading from APKPURE. It is a pretty simple affair. Where licences are needed, such as Poweramp and Neutron there are routines to buy and license for the M9, which actually have caused lots of confusion for some. I never ran a licensed version so best look at M9 thread to find out how to do it. Of course if their is a reworked firmware with a Google Play that runs there will be no problem, but for those who cannot get that firmware check on the M9 thread if you want to run Poweramp or Neutron. How does the DX160 compare to the FiiO M9 soundwise? I would appreciate it if someone will make that comparison. Also does Spotify run smoothly on the DX160?

I’m watching this thread out of curiosity. Just obtained Hiby R5. I also have FiiO M9. Looking for sound comparisons between the two over on that thread.
Can you tell me if you have a preference for dx160 over R5, and why? Curious. Thanks

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #339 of 6,983
It's time to write something about DX160 :)

If a DAP was done right both hardware and software wise, its sound quality is more subject of personal preferences, regardless of price difference. It is especially applicable to devices made by iBasso, because they always try to squeeze the maximum, and are limited only by the final cost set. DX200 was huge step forward. DX150 was cheaper, but I know many people who prefer it over DX200. DX220 is considered as an improvement over both for no surprise, but now we have DX160 after DX220...

Soon you'll see comprehensive reviews, and I'm not the person who writes them. It is well known that @Paul - iBasso sends me new devices for free, and I'm free to choose the one to listen to. For a long time it was DX200CuAu #13 with either its AMP1CuAu, or, recently, with AMP9. DX160 has impressed me as much that I think it will make DX200CuAu to retire. It impressed me out of the box, without burning in. Impressed as much that, unlike with DX150 and DX220 (when I simply re-used the experience from DX200 firmware), I decided to spend some days for making it even better... as I believe :)

So, here it is: add-on for DX160 firmware version 1.00.055 (which I found out of the box).
Highlights:
  • Google Play Market.
  • Full list of changes is here.
It does not void you warranty. I provide a way to revert back to the official firmware, if you decide to. Come on and give it a try!

That was fast.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #340 of 6,983
On my FiiO M9 Spotify runs OK with songs at 320kbps OGG size, whilst streaming over WiFi. BUT it does run sluggishly particularly starting up, although once it starts it sounds great. How does Spotify run on the iBasso DX160 at it's 320kbps rate? Does it seem fairly instantaneous?

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #341 of 6,983
I'm getting impression that people may like this more than the dx220. What's the battery like on this?

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #343 of 6,983
I always liked the dx220 but the battery life let it down. I wonder what the battery is like on this one

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #344 of 6,983
Battery in the DX220 is just similar to other DAPs that has similar built, even your N8. The problems is that you have to disable google services in the background etc....WiFi....if you want to use android.

I simply flip toward MangoOS.

I Ike DX160. But there is no way that I would pick it over my Dx228

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #345 of 6,983
I'm getting impression that people may like this more than the dx220. What's the battery like on this?

Mentioned a few week ago here, I got 9.5hrs of playback time from 4.4mm bal, playing FLAC in a loop at low gain, normal listening volume, with screen mostly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back