iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #3,931 of 6,991
I use my Andro 2019 with the DX160 and the pairing is absolutely the best I have heard from the Andro so far on the 4.4 Balanced out. Just get the Andro and be done with it. I see no reason to upgrade from this combo anytome soon.

And no, UAPP does only the first unfolding on the DX160 and you need another MQA renderer after that for full unfolding. But the Tidal app and the Mango player do a full unfolding as has been advertised.
Please let me know which 4.4 balanced cable you are using with DX160 and Andro.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3,932 of 6,991
Good to know that the timbre of the tablas are to your liking. I personally thought there was something a bit off. Thank you for the clarification.

No No I am not saying it cant better for tabla, yes it has the typical BA timbre for tabla, drums, its either you like it or its plain wrong. All i was saying is that it does most things very well unless you are specifically looking for a certain timbre/tonality and are affected by it

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,933 of 6,991
Noob question from someone who's never had an Android device before: how simple is the process to get UAPP on the 160? As I understand, you have to download the Play store through APK and go from there, correct? I don't need the Lurker mod or anything? If I eventually bite, I'd be going with UAPP because of gapless and Album Artist support.
It is indeed that simple: install Google Play Store via APKPure, sign in with your Google account and install all the needed apps from the Play Store.

Only thing I still would like to know if the UAPP MQA plug-in will do the second hardware unfold on the DX160. If that is the case you have the ideal player in one.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #3,934 of 6,991
Yeah I'm not too concerned with having no Tidal playback online or offline. If I wanted to listen through Tidal, I would use their app. I have seen screenshots of Neutron's UI and yes it does look...different haha.

So, for you personally, do you enjoy using more from UAPP or Neutron?
I haven't really decided yet.
UI of UAPP is better and Tidal support is built in but MQA 2nd unfold is still unclear.
Neutron does the 2nd unfold, is highly configurable, can output to Chromecast Audio but misses Tidal functionality.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #3,935 of 6,991
I took the plunge and just ordered the UAPP MQA plug-in to test with the DX160.
Comparing Tidal tracks, and left aside if I am able to hear the difference:
- UAPP doesn't do the 2nd (hardware) unfold to full, same track via Tidal app unfolds to 192kHz, via UAPP it is stuck at 96kHz.
- Buffering of Tidal MQA tracks via UAPP is taking way too long, app becomes unresponsive and making MQA/Master tracks unplayable.
Maybe it is a setting I am missing somewhere but for now money waste, but all for the benefit of my colleague head-fi`ers..

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #3,936 of 6,991
What do you mean deceptive? Here, DX160, using native Mango app, and I get full MQA hw unfolding:

ibasso_dx160-29.jpg

Sorry my ignorance but can you access to Tidal inside Mango native app?

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #3,937 of 6,991
Sorry my ignorance but can you access to Tidal inside Mango native app?
No you cant, you need the separate Tidal app.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #3,939 of 6,991
So you need to have the MQA files on your SD card to get the full unfold from Mango player?
Indeed.
The Tidal app itself unfolds full.
UAPP you can make use of inbuilt Tidal playback support (no offline/download support), but as stated above this doesn't work well for MQA/Master files, at least not in my occasion.
Neutron plays SD card stored MQA files well, but no inbuilt Tidal.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #3,941 of 6,991
Thank you very much!
So you have to download a file from Tidal (Tidal offline) to be able to play it in Mango app.
Not a good thing...

You cant link Tidal to Mango player. That what they meant.

Correct me if Im wrong, but offline downloaded songs from tidal cant be played using other players similar to how spotify offline works.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #3,942 of 6,991

Correct me if Im wrong, but offline downloaded songs from tidal cant be played using other players similar to how spotify offline works.
I really don’t know. My statement was a sort of question. I believe you can be right.
In that case I believe you need to buy a MQA file to be able to play it in Mango app.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #3,943 of 6,991

You are right, even using Tidal in UAPP won't let you download files for offline playback, this can only be done within the Tidal app itself.

I really don’t know. My statement was a sort of question. I believe you can be right.
In that case I believe you need to buy a MQA file to be able to play it in Mango app.

Correct

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #3,944 of 6,991
Indeed.
The Tidal app itself unfolds full.
UAPP you can make use of inbuilt Tidal playback support (no offline/download support), but as stated above this doesn't work well for MQA/Master files, at least not in my occasion.
Neutron plays SD card stored MQA files well, but no inbuilt Tidal.
Thank you for purchasing and testing the MQA add on for UAPP. Hmm...I'm still not sure which one to choose. Maybe I will just stick with the Mango player for now haha. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I was just curious before on if there were any audible differences between other players. I usually just listen to 16-bit anyway. Sometimes 24-bit. But not too much MQA or Tidal offline to be honest. No worries.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #3,945 of 6,991
OK, so here are 2 screenshots of an MQA file on Tidal playing on Tidal App and Tidal on UApp. As seen the Tidal app does full unfolding as seen on the top of the screen while UApp does only partial unfolding.

Attachments

• IMG20200611160244.jpg
    IMG20200611160244.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20200611155430.jpg
    IMG20200611155430.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back