iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 19, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #6,106 of 6,983
In what way? I'm looking at N5ii for it's ethereal take on vocals and treble. Would DX160 be more focused on midrange solely? Balanced being quieter than SE on DX160 is intriguing.
The DX160 mainly wins in soundstage and treble refinement. As for sound signature the N5ii is a bit warmer and ever so slightly more mid focused. The DX160 is closer to neutral but i wouldn't say its super neutral, theres still a bit of warmth in its signaure.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #6,107 of 6,983
The DX160 mainly wins in soundstage and treble refinement. As for sound signature the N5ii is a bit warmer and ever so slightly more mid focused. The DX160 is closer to neutral but i wouldn't say its super neutral, theres still a bit of warmth in its signaure.
I noticed in your signature that you've heard the DX120. Would you say the DX160 has better treble extension by comparison, or at least less emphasized lower treble?

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #6,110 of 6,983
I noticed in your signature that you've heard the DX120. Would you say the DX160 has better treble extension by comparison, or at least less emphasized lower treble?
The DX120 was more forward sounding from memory with a much smaller soundstage which is kinda 2D by comparison. Not too sure about the sound signature but I classified the DX120 as Neutral bright when i tried it whereas the Dx160 is neutral with a hint of warmth.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm using a different pair of earphones now which will definitely change my opinion. This was just based off my DX120 vs N5ii and N5ii vs DX160 impressions.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #6,111 of 6,983
The DX120 was more forward sounding from memory with a much smaller soundstage which is kinda 2D by comparison. Not too sure about the sound signature but I classified the DX120 as Neutral bright when i tried it whereas the Dx160 is neutral with a hint of warmth.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm using a different pair of earphones now which will definitely change my opinion. This was just based off my DX120 vs N5ii and N5ii vs DX160 impressions.
No problem, thanks for the feedback.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #6,114 of 6,983
I think you have a point there but then if something happens to the device how are we supposed to RMA it. Catch 22! :)
Yes I know but I've sent a shanling UP5 back during warranty and the device was blocked by the chinese customs.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #6,115 of 6,983
Yes I know but I've sent a shanling UP5 back during warranty and the device was blocked by the chinese customs.
I'm so sorry. That's a pity!

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #6,117 of 6,983
Hey guys I'm trying to find out if you can roll back firmware on the dx160? Anyone know if it's doable???
Cheers.

Its possible with windows tool.

Check out first page:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...update-unboxing-1st-page.912228/post-15100673

If a total refresh of the Firmware on the DX160 is needed, do to possible corruption of the FW, here are links for doing the clean install. After the install, you can then update in the normal manner to the latest firmware.

. Android Tool for use on Windows computers and used with the .img FW to do a fresh factory install and then update to the latest FW in the normal manner:

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/AndroidTool.zip

2. Firmware in .img format to be used with the Android Too.

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX160FW-image-v1.05.rar

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #6,118 of 6,983
Its possible with windows tool.

Check out first page:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...update-unboxing-1st-page.912228/post-15100673

If a total refresh of the Firmware on the DX160 is needed, do to possible corruption of the FW, here are links for doing the clean install. After the install, you can then update in the normal manner to the latest firmware.

. Android Tool for use on Windows computers and used with the .img FW to do a fresh factory install and then update to the latest FW in the normal manner:

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/AndroidTool.zip

2. Firmware in .img format to be used with the Android Too.

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX160FW-image-v1.05.rar
Thanks, I new how just wasn't sure if the 160 could be rolled back... all it was was i had the occasional glitch on start up screen and a reboot then ok but annoying, anyway I have sorted it out by installing lurker mod which is a great little add on and should of done it sooner.
Thanks for the response though .

By the way all this might be up for sale soon as I have other gear that I use still undecided though as it is a fantastic dap still .

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #6,119 of 6,983
Good to see you @majo123.
I'm still using my older 160 and loving its sound. The only glitch I have is in the volume control at the knob. Not huge but niggling. I have not really consider the lurker mod. May try it it sometime. Hope you're well...

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #6,120 of 6,983
Good to see you @majo123.
I'm still using my older 160 and loving its sound. The only glitch I have is in the volume control at the knob. Not huge but niggling. I have not really consider the lurker mod. May try it it sometime. Hope you're well...
Hey my friend good to see you.
I didn't really consider the mod as well as I was happy with it and just the odd glitch on startup, but I was considering selling it so wanted to sort the odd glitch as wasn't major too me but wanted it good for the buyer.
Anyway the mod is excellent! Totally glitch free and think it improves the Audio slightly as well and sorted the odd glitch on startup , probably a buggy install at the factory in the first place.
Anyway I'm in-between selling and not , still a fantastic dap my friend and audio way better than most at its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back