iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Mar 20, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,106 of 6,991
Nothing really wrong with their post. It is just a post. What's wrong was the intention of the post and its underlying meaning to existing owners of the beta160. But hey, its up to you how you interpret that post and people's feelings towards its subject.

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #3,107 of 6,991
Nothing really wrong with their post. It is just a post. What's wrong was the intention of the post and its underlying meaning to existing owners of the beta160. But hey, its up to you how you interpret that post and people's feelings towards its subject.
Imo the whole Beta tester thing was pretty much the customer interpretation of the post, no?
I myself can just only concluded that the post was worded in such a way that makes the people mad.

But yeah, it's what I think how this fiasco happened.
Whether the case, I do think those people should have some justification after second thought. An explanation post can be fine, as long as they don't screw it up.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #3,109 of 6,991
Imo the whole Beta tester thing was pretty much the customer interpretation of the post, no?
I myself can just only concluded that the post was worded in such a way that makes the people mad.

But yeah, it's what I think how this fiasco happened.
Whether the case, I do think those people should have some justification after second thought. An explanation post can be fine, as long as they don't screw it up.

If we are going to take into account that the name of their new product is basically still DX160 and its price is the same, then we can possibly conclude that the model we have right now is the beta version. A change to the name of the item and price could have made things a little better.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #3,110 of 6,991
If we are going to take into account that the name of their new product is basically still DX160 and its price is the same, then we can possibly conclude that the model we have right now is the beta version. A change to the name of the item and price could have made things a little better.
Agreed. I am a beta tester for machines at my work, and this is exactly what it feels like to me.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,111 of 6,991
That is me assuming that the 2020 version in Lurker perspective - has the same performance as ever with minor tweaks that's not really worth to care about.

Unless if I go by the other side then people are throwing shade on what is the "under the hood" changes is. That's something I can understand too

The post has give people a mixed feeling about this, some portion just move on, some like you.
Whether the case, all do see that people are not taking this in a good way. And I am not talking about here, but also some of the community I am into.

Loud minority is not a lot :wink:
Still a portion that's worth attention imo :wink:. A "loud minority" that has been following the product development, I am not an marketing expert but I think it also have some significance to consider already.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #3,112 of 6,991
Actually, Im already okay with the fact that Im using a beta160. Im just simply sharing my thoughts here. In fact, I reflashed lurkers mod because I like it.

Still, I believe that ibasso should explain to us what actually is happening.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,113 of 6,991
iBasso needs to do a recall just like toyota did (since they compared themselves to a car manufacturer) and ship out a replacement.

Sometimes companies take a financial hit to please their customers. The company I work for right now just did a recall of a faulty $8000 item and are replacing it for free. That's why we have 60% of the US market and thus a loyal customer base.

When customers pay for something. They expect it to work as advertised. I say someone needs to bring a class-action lawsuit on ibasso and stop all US imports until they do a proper recall of the initial product. Then they'll get the message. Dept of commerce can help with that.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,114 of 6,991
iBasso needs to do a recall just like toyota did (since the compared themselves to a car manufacturer) and ship out a replacement.

Sometimes companies take a financial hit to please their customers. The company I work for right now just did a recall of a faulty $8000 item and are replacing it for free. That's why we have 60% of the US market and thus a loyal customer base.

When customers pay for something. They expect it to work as advertised. I say someone needs to bring a class-action lawsuit on ibasso and stop all US imports until they do a proper recall of the initial product. Then they'll get the message. Dept of commerce can help with that.

I agree with this. The beta160 is a functioning unit but its flaws make it a device that does not 100% work based on how it was advertised.

Even if the retail160 sounds the same as the beta160, Im pretty sure that ibasso fixed the issues the beta160 have. It would really make one think that issues we have with our beta160 are actually hardware issues that firmware updates can no longer fix thus the release of a 2020 version.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3,115 of 6,991
Actually, I found nothing wrong in it, and so many negative and aggressive reactions from those who enjoyed their devices just a minute ago was unexpected! I believe iBasso should better ignore them.
Enjoying the device, and being angry by the actions of the company are two very different things. Because it does nothing to reiterate over and over the same issues. After voicing the issues, most were awaiting a fix for their issue. As soon as I saw the news of an "update" that you have to pay again just to get what was already supposed to be part of the current crop, I knew unrest was inevitable. IMO it wasn't unexpected at all. And, if iBasso ignores them (like they seem to be doing), they may have short-term sales, but customer loyalty will cause them issues in the long run.

A good company should not ever ignore any potential customer, even if nothing comes of it. This is the very behavior that I was talking about that too many companies are doing to alienate customers for future business.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,116 of 6,991
To our valued customers. We feel there is clarification needed for the change made to the DX160, which we are referring to as the 2020 version now. The only reason any change was made initially was because the screen we were using, the Sharp screen, is we can no longer obtain this screen. To replace this we have purchased the JDI screen. While the resolution is the same, the quality is slightly lower. This isn't noticeable until comparing side by side but it does not have quite the color impact. To compensate for this we then looked to see if there was any way we could improve the DX160. For this we ran many tests on components. We found one op amp that does improve the dynamics and this is buffer is what we have used. The change to The change to CTIA for monitors with an inline mic, is something we had been asked about many times and we decided to implement this at this time,

We have never and will never use customers as beta testers unless we make this known as we have done with a few past firmware beta versions. We value all of you and have always valued your opinion and desire for enjoyable sound and a meaningful musical experience.

If there are any owners of the DX160 2019 that wish to have their dap updated to the latest buffer we will offer this service for 32 USD. We are charging 10 USD for the buffers, free labor and 22 USD expedited shipping back to you. For Hong Kong, due to the close proximity, the cost is 10 USD for the buffers and 5 USD for the shipping.

The buffer upgrade can't be achieved through the distributor. If you want this update, you will need to send in your DX160 directly to us. We hope you can wait until you see the reviews of the new DX160, so you can make an informed decision on whether or not to have your DX160 buffer changed.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,117 of 6,991
This does prove that the new dx160 is better than the existing model. A new op amp that improves dynamics will result to better sound, or am I wrong?

I ask that you be clear with us existing owners, I doubt that you sincerely never changed anything else with your new dx160. You know how bad BT and WiFi are with the existing model. Can you honestly say that these issues are still present with the new model and that all you changed is the screen, buffer op amp and CTIA compliant 3.5mm jack?

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #3,118 of 6,991
This does prove that the new dx160 is better than the existing model. A new op amp that improves dynamics will result to better sound, or am I wrong?

I ask that you be clear with us existing owners, I doubt that you sincerely never changed anything else with your new dx160. You know how bad BT and WiFi are with the existing model. Can you honestly say that these issues are still present with the new model and that all you changed is the screen, buffer op amp and CTIA compliant 3.5mm jack?

it proves that Ibasso cares enough to keep spoiling people.

There were never anything wrong to my Dx160, and Ibasso disclosed that because Screen is less quality, so keeping the same price, they just wanted to compensate it elsewhere. Ibasso chose to stick to it motive “Sound quality”.

Op-Amps can always be swapped, and there are plenty of them....better or not is your call. This is one of the many different ways to modify the DAP. If you don’t know about then I respectfully ask you to step aside and stop complaining.

I have never had noises issues on my DX160, even with IER-Z1R. I even modified it, broke the antenna, and then soldered it up, and it still worked just fine.

if you have noises issues, why did you not return to Ibasso within 15 days satisfactory guarantees? At least you can ask Ibasso to return to either the dealer or the Factory itself.

Unless you have hidden agenda behind these crying, maybe to defame a brand, or a paid troll would do that

PS: Even if your unit has “noises” and is out of the 15 days windows, Ibasso would always take care of your unit because it is new and in Warranty period.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,119 of 6,991
No other changes were made to the DX160 than what I have stated.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,120 of 6,991
it proves that Ibasso cares enough to keep spoiling people.

There were never anything wrong to my Dx160, and Ibasso disclosed that because Screen is less quality, so keeping the same price, they just wanted to compensate it elsewhere. Ibasso chose to stick to it motive “Sound quality”.

Op-Amps can always be swapped, and there are plenty of them....better or not is your call. This is one of the many different ways to modify the DAP. If you don’t know about then I respectfully ask you to step aside and stop complaining.

I have never had noises issues on my DX160, even with IER-Z1R. I even modified it, broke the antenna, and then soldered it up, and it still worked just fine.

if you have noises issues, why did you not return to Ibasso within 15 days satisfactory guarantees? At least you can ask Ibasso to return to either the dealer or the Factory itself.

Unless you have hidden agenda behind these crying, maybe to defame a brand, or a paid troll would do that

LoL. Clearly cant read between the lines. Who said I had issues with noise? Was it just noise that people complain about the dx160? You clearly read Paul's comment that only thru side by side comparisson you'd see the very small difference in the screen used. Not sure if you cant read but clearly your vision has issues.

And hidden agendas? I dont think its wrong to share ones opinion in this place. You make me laugh lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back