iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #466 of 3,129
I love the shape of this player instead my dx200. Flushed screen and the design is more simple. Kudos to ibasso making us longing for another player to have :p

I really want someone to mod DX150 outer body and put DX200 HW inside it.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #467 of 3,129
Hi all, long time lurker (since 2001) and first time poster. Been following this thread (and other DAP threads) for a long time and wanted to share some (subjective) thoughts on DX150/DX200 and AMP1/AMP6 combinations. I haven't tried any of the other AMPs but did order the AMP4s based on the resounding positive feedback on the AMP4.

Setup: DX200 (~100hrs burn in), DX150 (~20hrs), Balanced out only to IT01 (200hrs burned in) via CB12 cable. Tested mix of pop/electropop vocals, guitar/piano instrumentals. Note neither DAP reached the recommended burn in so take these with a grain of salt.

Overall: Regardless of the AMP used in either DAP, I found the DX200 overall sounded noticeably better than the DX150. Overall the sound-stage felt wider, and most songs tested felt less "veiled" on the DX200 than the DX150. By no means is the DX150 veiled, it's actually quite fantastic. Just that every time I went back to the DX200, there was more clarity/sharpness in voices (i.e. - felt like you were in a concert hall up close with them vs. behind a partition.

AMP1 vs. AMP6: Definitely heard the greater bass and to me slightly less trebly high end in the AMP6 vs. the AMP1 on both units. For me the difference was noticable on the bass and more nuanced on the treble

DX200 + AMP6: I'm a fan of the DX200+AMP1 reference sound personally, but I did like the extra bass oomph the AMP6 added and for certain songs, it was nice to have slightly less treble for things like guitars and cymbals. Hoping the on-the-way AMP4s will get me some of that sound signature (and more) but I really liked this combo. Unfortunate that the AMP6 isn't being sold separately (yet).

Right now despite the $400 difference, I'm leaning towards keeping the DX200. Before trying these two I had also spent some time with an N5ii and M3s but unfortunately returned them before I could compare the DX150 to them. The DX150 to me seems like 70-80% of the way to a DX200 and I remember the DX200 (no-burn in) just wowing me over the N5ii. Really curious to see what folks feel about the N5ii vs. DX150 as I thought the Cayin was a great little DAP. =)

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #468 of 3,129
Hi all, long time lurker (since 2001) and first time poster. Been following this thread (and other DAP threads) for a long time and wanted to share some (subjective) thoughts on DX150/DX200 and AMP1/AMP6 combinations. I haven't tried any of the other AMPs but did order the AMP4s based on the resounding positive feedback on the AMP4.

Setup: DX200 (~100hrs burn in), DX150 (~20hrs), Balanced out only to IT01 (200hrs burned in) via CB12 cable. Tested mix of pop/electropop vocals, guitar/piano instrumentals. Note neither DAP reached the recommended burn in so take these with a grain of salt.

Overall: Regardless of the AMP used in either DAP, I found the DX200 overall sounded noticeably better than the DX150. Overall the sound-stage felt wider, and most songs tested felt less "veiled" on the DX200 than the DX150. By no means is the DX150 veiled, it's actually quite fantastic. Just that every time I went back to the DX200, there was more clarity/sharpness in voices (i.e. - felt like you were in a concert hall up close with them vs. behind a partition.

AMP1 vs. AMP6: Definitely heard the greater bass and to me slightly less trebly high end in the AMP6 vs. the AMP1 on both units. For me the difference was noticable on the bass and more nuanced on the treble

DX200 + AMP6: I'm a fan of the DX200+AMP1 reference sound personally, but I did like the extra bass oomph the AMP6 added and for certain songs, it was nice to have slightly less treble for things like guitars and cymbals. Hoping the on-the-way AMP4s will get me some of that sound signature (and more) but I really liked this combo. Unfortunate that the AMP6 isn't being sold separately (yet).

Right now despite the $400 difference, I'm leaning towards keeping the DX200. Before trying these two I had also spent some time with an N5ii and M3s but unfortunately returned them before I could compare the DX150 to them. The DX150 to me seems like 70-80% of the way to a DX200 and I remember the DX200 (no-burn in) just wowing me over the N5ii. Really curious to see what folks feel about the N5ii vs. DX150 as I thought the Cayin was a great little DAP. =)
Nothing has wowed me since I heard the A&Ultima SP1000 :frowning2:

I need a brainwash

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #469 of 3,129
Nothing has wowed me since I heard the A&Ultima SP1000 :frowning2:

I need a brainwash

If you have chance to try DX200 Cu...

Another universe I swear.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #471 of 3,129

Thanks for these impressions @cshong615
I think a lot of people will be very intrigued by this. It's a shame you don't own any of the other AMP units. Based on what you've said, I'm wondering how the AMP6 (balanced) would sound vs AMP3 and AMP4(s)!

Do you think AMP6 retains the reference sound of AMP1, but with a bit of an increase in bass quantity (and subtle softening in the treble)?
Or more musical and organic?

Thanks for these impressions! It's a great way to make your first post :D

I think my first post was something like "Has anyone tried the Klipsch S4i earbuds with the iPhone?" :joy:

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #472 of 3,129
$3500 though. Is it that much better?
Its holographic soundstage is unmatched even by some desktop setups I've heard. Feels like black magic.

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #474 of 3,129
Its holographic soundstage is unmatched even by some desktop setups I've heard. Feels like black magic.
Ehhh. I don't care about soundstage for this listening type. It's to unnatural most of the time. I prefer my speaker setup when I care about soundstage which honestly isn't to often. Plus, $3500 is obscene for a dap.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #475 of 3,129

Interesting comparison. I wonder how similar both players compete when using the exact same amp. As mentioned before if it is actually similar I could save a some bucks and get dx150 w/ampxxx

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #476 of 3,129

Great write up! I don't remember my first post but it sure as heck wasn't as lengthy and as good as yours! So welcome to the thread!

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #477 of 3,129
Interesting comparison. I wonder how similar both players compete when using the exact same amp. As mentioned before if it is actually similar I could save a some bucks and get dx150 w/ampxxx

I believe the poster *did* compare both DAP's using the same AMP unit in both of them. I think he did this using both AMP1 (in DX150 and 200) and AMP6 (in DX150 and 200).
That's what I get from reading his post, although I could be wrong of course :p

@cshong615 Are you able to confirm? :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #478 of 3,129
I believe the poster *did* compare both DAP's using the same AMP unit in both of them. I think he did this using both AMP1 (in DX150 and 200) and AMP6 (in DX150 and 200).
That's what I get from reading his post, although I could be wrong of course :p

@cshong615 Are you able to confirm? :)
Hi guys, to your question @Layman1, yup, I did my best to compare the DAPs with the same AMP, but since I only had one of each, it's an imperfect comparison since swapping the AMPs takes a few mins so it's hard to directly A/B test.

To your previous question about AMP6
Thanks for these impressions @cshong615
Do you think AMP6 retains the reference sound of AMP1, but with a bit of an increase in bass quantity (and subtle softening in the treble)?
Or more musical and organic?
My ears aren't the greatest, but I felt that AMP6 added the bass and treble softening with maybe the slightest more organic sound, but still retained the sound signature of the DX200. In other words, adding AMP1 to the DX150 didn't turn its sound into something closer to the DX200. They had subtle (but distinct) sound signatures that I'm guessing are inherent with their non-AMP parts. I've never heard the DX100 but it could be that the DX150's similar sound is a combination of both the AMP6 and new chips. But of course open to someone who's heard the DX100 and can try the DX200 + AMP6 to put me in my place. =)

Overall despite swapping amps, the DX200 sounded better to me (wider soundstage, vocals felt more in the room, notes like guitars seemed to linger for the slightest bit more). That said, I think some of the characteristics are very personal and the DX150 sounds fantastic on its own (after only 20hrs burn in), with the differences likely not justifying the $400 price increase for many. Unfortunately I know myself and that if i kept the 150 the DX200 itch would always be there. =)

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #479 of 3,129
Hi guys, to your question @Layman1, yup, I did my best to compare the DAPs with the same AMP, but since I only had one of each, it's an imperfect comparison since swapping the AMPs takes a few mins so it's hard to directly A/B test.

To your previous question about AMP6

My ears aren't the greatest, but I felt that AMP6 added the bass and treble softening with maybe the slightest more organic sound, but still retained the sound signature of the DX200. In other words, adding AMP1 to the DX150 didn't turn its sound into something closer to the DX200. They had subtle (but distinct) sound signatures that I'm guessing are inherent with their non-AMP parts. I've never heard the DX100 but it could be that the DX150's similar sound is a combination of both the AMP6 and new chips. But of course open to someone who's heard the DX100 and can try the DX200 + AMP6 to put me in my place. =)

Overall despite swapping amps, the DX200 sounded better to me (wider soundstage, vocals felt more in the room, notes like guitars seemed to linger for the slightest bit more). That said, I think some of the characteristics are very personal and the DX150 sounds fantastic on its own (after only 20hrs burn in), with the differences likely not justifying the $400 price increase for many. Unfortunately I know myself and that if i kept the 150 the DX200 itch would always be there. =)

Very helpful feedback, thanks a lot :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #480 of 3,129
So what draws you to the DX150 over the DX200 and Fiio X7ii? Sound quality, ergonomics, usability?
I think it's what AK calls "velvet sound" seems there is a lot of space between instruments and very black background . Haven't tried other amps though just Amp 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back