iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jul 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,249 of 3,129
If I remember correctly, AptX and AptX HD require specific Qualcomm chips, so it's not as simple as updating firmware.

If Qualcomm chips are required for aptX and aptX HD, and not only a licence to use Qualcomm codecs to implement aptX or aptX HD, and if the DX150 does not have Qualcomm chips at all (I have never read any hint), this would mean that the DX150 will never ever offer aptX or aptX HD.

Can the iBasso employee here on board confirm this?

Dat Ei

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,250 of 3,129
If Qualcomm chips are required for aptX and aptX HD, and not only a licence to use Qualcomm codecs to implement aptX or aptX HD, and if the DX150 does not have Qualcomm chips at all (I have never read any hint), this would mean that the DX150 will never ever offer aptX or aptX HD.

Can the iBasso employee here on board confirm this?

Dat Ei

My Crapsung Note 8 on Exynos has got AptX, so that one doesn't stick. I guess it's all about the costs of all the necessary certificates and stuff. As far as I know, AptX/AptX HD is just a codec but the bt modem has to be compatible with it.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,251 of 3,129
My Crapsung Note 8 on Exynos has got AptX, so that one doesn't stick. I guess it's all about the costs of all the necessary certificates and stuff. As far as I know, AptX/AptX HD is just a codec but the bt modem has to be compatible with it.
Could be true. I might be confusing what is required on the receiving end, it would make sense that it's just a codec baked in on the transmitting device. There are probably licensing costs involved, not to mention additional testing required of the DAP manufacturer. It would be nice to have a higher quality sounding BT option from the DX150, for sure.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,252 of 3,129
Could be true. I might be confusing what is required on the receiving end, it would make sense that it's just a codec baked in on the transmitting device. There are probably licensing costs involved, not to mention additional testing required of the DAP manufacturer. It would be nice to have a higher quality sounding BT option from the DX150, for sure.

Yes, aptX/aptX HD would be nice. But the primary reason for getting a $500 DAP is mainly for wired use.

In all honesty if I'm going to use Bluetooth I'll just yes my phone, which supports aptX and LDAC.

It would be a nice bonus for sure, but for me not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,253 of 3,129
I have the AMP8 on the DX150. An excellent combination. Different from the DX200 but no less dynamic and enjoyable. Lots of drive for headphones and IEM's and wonderful dynamics with headroom.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,254 of 3,129
I have the AMP8 on the DX150. An excellent combination. Different from the DX200 but no less dynamic and enjoyable. Lots of drive for headphones and IEM's and wonderful dynamics with headroom.

How does it compare to the Amp 6?

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,255 of 3,129
How does it compare to the Amp 6?
6 is great, IMO. 8 is more robust, authoritative and massive. It is like, "This IS music". I don't hear any frequency abnormalities, cleans highs, lows and full mids. But I don't concentrate on them like with some amps. I hear music.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,256 of 3,129
6 is great, IMO. 8 is more robust, authoritative and massive. It is like, "This IS music". I don't hear any frequency abnormalities, cleans highs, lows and full mids. But I don't concentrate on them like with some amps. I hear music.

I received my AMP8 today. I've only had a brief listen, but the sound is definitely more authoritative as you said. With my Noble Katanas, some of the details and missing leading notes have returned, compared with AMP6. This is more of the signature I hoped for when I bought the DX150.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,257 of 3,129
Could you highlight the main difference between DX200 with AMP8 and dx150 with AMP8 . Does the dx150 AMP8 combo take the sound closer to DX200 than the dx150 with amp6 did ? .. thanks

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,258 of 3,129
dxheadfi.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-audio-dx150.23135/reviews

My review is up.

enjoy

regards
expat

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,259 of 3,129
After nearly a month without input, I'd like to repeat my questions. Is it realistic that we will see an aptX and aptX HD implementation and support for the DX150 one day?

Dat Ei
I do not have an answer for you right now. aptX can be done with firmware. aptX HD requires hardware and the DX150 does not have this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back