iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 28, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #932 of 3,129
May 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #933 of 3,129
Here's a question for anyone that has tried out some of the different amp modules with the DX150: I do enjoy how it sounds with the stock amp, but sometimes it is a bit too forgiving, where I feel like leading notes are soft amd don't have much impact. With my Noble Katanas, some small details go missing, compared with my other DAPs. What other amp modules would you recommend?

May 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #934 of 3,129
Here's a question for anyone that has tried out some of the different amp modules with the DX150: I do enjoy how it sounds with the stock amp, but sometimes it is a bit too forgiving, where I feel like leading notes are soft amd don't have much impact. With my Noble Katanas, some small details go missing, compared with my other DAPs. What other amp modules would you recommend?

Before you jump into amp-rolling, have you tried going through digital DAC filters of DX150? Not everybody hears the difference, and in your case the Katana is not the most micro-detailed or analytical to begin with (compared to K10 and Encore). But considering you just mentioned "... feel like leading notes are soft...", it sounds like you are hearing a slower attack of the notes. Filters do affect the sound in a subtle way, and can help to fine-tune the sound. See if that can make a difference. For example, with Sharp Roll-off I hear a faster attack and more sparkle, with Slow Roll-off I feel the attack is a little slower while sparkle is the same, and Super Slow Roll off has the slower attack and less air/sparkle in comparison to other filters. The effect is subtle, but noticeable to my ears (using U18t w/Horus for listening).

Another thing, try Lurker's FW. I can't say it for sure since don't have a way of doing direct a/b comparison, but it felt like it took a little edge of smoother sound tonality of AMP6. I could be splitting hairs here, so take it with a grain of salt.

May 28, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #935 of 3,129
Before you jump into amp-rolling, have you tried going through digital DAC filters of DX150? Not everybody hears the difference, and in your case the Katana is not the most micro-detailed or analytical to begin with (compared to K10 and Encore). But considering you just mentioned "... feel like leading notes are soft...", it sounds like you are hearing a slower attack of the notes. Filters do affect the sound in a subtle way, and can help to fine-tune the sound. See if that can make a difference. For example, with Sharp Roll-off I hear a faster attack and more sparkle, with Slow Roll-off I feel the attack is a little slower while sparkle is the same, and Super Slow Roll off has the slower attack and less air/sparkle in comparison to other filters. The effect is subtle, but noticeable to my ears (using U18t w/Horus for listening).

Another thing, try Lurker's FW. I can't say it for sure since don't have a way of doing direct a/b comparison, but it felt like it took a little edge of smoother sound tonality of AMP6. I could be splitting hairs here, so take it with a grain of salt.
So in your opinion, what would be the amp module that has the fastest attack and most analytical sound?

May 29, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #936 of 3,129
So in your opinion, what would be the amp module that has the fastest attack and most analytical sound?

AMP1 has the most analytical sound. AMP3 and AMP6 have a lot of similarities, both are brighter tuned amps. AMP5 is the smoothest, yet still quite resolving with an excellent dynamics. AMP4 is still my favorite with the best technical performance. Regarding faster attack, it will depend on pair up, that's purely the response and the characteristics of the drivers based on synergy with a source.

May 29, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #937 of 3,129
AMP1 has the most analytical sound. AMP3 and AMP6 have a lot of similarities, both are brighter tuned amps. AMP5 is the smoothest, yet still quite resolving with an excellent dynamics. AMP4 is still my favorite with the best technical performance. Regarding faster attack, it will depend on pair up, that's purely the response and the characteristics of the drivers based on synergy with a source.
I see, so the AMP3 and AMP6 are bright, the AMP1 is analytical, the AMP5 is smooth and the AMP4 is the best overall. Thanks.

Regarding amp synergy and attacks, is this the case?
Say headphone x has better attack with amp 3 but less with amp 5 whereas headphone y has better attack with amp 5 but less than amp 3.

May 29, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #938 of 3,129

I admit I haven't played much with the filters. I prefer slow roll off on other DAPs, but maybe sharp will work better for me. Sometimes I don't really notice much difference, if any. But...I bought the Ibasso specifically because of the opportunity to try out different amp modules. Maybe something more analytical would be good for a different "flavor".

May 29, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #939 of 3,129
I see, so the AMP3 and AMP6 are bright, the AMP1 is analytical, the AMP5 is smooth and the AMP4 is the best overall. Thanks.

Regarding amp synergy and attacks, is this the case?
Say headphone x has better attack with amp 3 but less with amp 5 whereas headphone y has better attack with amp 5 but less than amp 3.

Yeah, something like that. I just tell you how I hear things, guys in Sound Science section of HF will back it up with formulas :wink: Bottom line, just because you hear a specific sound change or an improvement with one pair of headphones, from my experience I haven't found this to be consistent with all other headphones due to so many variables related to sound sig, driver type and config, technical spec of the driver, etc.

What do you hear with different ibasso amps?

May 29, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #940 of 3,129
Yeah, something like that. I just tell you how I hear things, guys in Sound Science section of HF will back it up with formulas :wink: Bottom line, just because you hear a specific sound change or an improvement with one pair of headphones, from my experience I haven't found this to be consistent with all other headphones due to so many variables related to sound sig, driver type and config, technical spec of the driver, etc.

What do you hear with different ibasso amps?
I don't own either DAPs and have only demoed the DX200.

I'll be going to an audio store tomorrow to demo the DX150, hopefully the store owners don't mind me swapping amp modules between the DX150 and DX200 :p

May 29, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #941 of 3,129
I admit I haven't played much with the filters. I prefer slow roll off on other DAPs, but maybe sharp will work better for me. Sometimes I don't really notice much difference, if any. But...I bought the Ibasso specifically because of the opportunity to try out different amp modules. Maybe something more analytical would be good for a different "flavor".
I also prefer slow roll off vs fast roll off. To me, slow roll off has more accurate attacks and decays.

Fast roll off has a slightly thinner sound so it may sound like it has sharper attacks but YMMV.

May 29, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #942 of 3,129
This has piqued my interest.

Yesterday mid morning i used the DX150 for a short time with FLAC and the xDSD as I was doing some tests.

Now as you look at the above picture you may be forgiven for saying ‘shaddup expat! Thats a decent nine hours of play there ya numbnuts!’

But I only used it for less than an hour in the morning.

Usually I am quite lucky with daps etc. so my inner Poirot got his little grey cells going.

Earlier there was another picture posted of battery drain also. Which was the catalyst to my investigation (ongoing).

In their photo it had Android as the main culprit.
In mine it had miscellaneous.
Two differences, not sure what they could mean.

So I charged it up to 100% last night whilst watching the latest episode of Westworld. Then unplugged it and went to sleep. Leaving it in rest mode, not turned off.

Above was after about 7 hours I think.

The main thing I did was close all the open windows before letting it sit in a rest mode.
(A good idea with iphones too).

*usually on DX200 i use non android Mango so less background activity.

Anyway I will check it again when I return home and post the next installment.

I love a good mystery, and men generally like to find solutions to problems.

*EDIT: I was also tempted to install Lurkers FW but am a bit worried about following the steps.

Ok home now some eight hours (?) later

Not turned off. Just sleep/standby mode.

Nothing open etc ....maybe I left the settings open.

D71235AE-E2B9-4C43-B1EC-9C4610B8761B.jpeg

May 29, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #943 of 3,129
Ok home now some eight hours (?) later

Not turned off. Just sleep/standby mode.

Nothing open etc ....maybe I left the settings open.

So 5% in 9 hours? About 12% drop per day then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back