iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #916 of 3,129
So at the moment, hiby r6 is the better dap?

I cannot say...

My R6 is one of the first and myself and Headfonics iirc have units that cannot update FW without some crazy back flashing then flash to latest FW so I dunno what folks are doing/can do with it now. Standby time is maybe 5% over several days if that.
However...I love Mango Player and the sound of DX150 so that plus the DX200 got 12 FW updates leads me to think battery life and some of the lag can be fixed.

So, unless Joe has messed up with the updates the R6 probably has a more mature droid/player experience. I prefer the DX150 because it's new?..and the player is my favorite

I'd rec the R6 but prefer the DX150.
I love my EX1000 and have had them sent to America twicw for cabling but I never rec em cuz the fit is a hassle for most. So loving an item does not automatically get a rec and visa versa.

May 27, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #917 of 3,129
I haven't done anything remotely scientific as a test, but on average I lose about 10% per average album. That's with no apps running other than Mango Player, no WiFi, screen brightness at 25% & timed out at 30 secs. I'm listening to 44/16 FLAC using Etymotic Research ER4SR IEMs. I doubt I would get the 10 hours mentioned in iBasso's literature. My Opus#1 seemed to handle battery drain much better, especially in standby mode.

Well i did not get a bad batch cuz a single DSD track takes 6% which would be 60% for a 10 track DSD album. I know they are big and kill batt but i never had a device tick down as I watched on a single track

May 27, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #918 of 3,129
So at the moment, hiby r6 is the better dap?

Very complicated answer, depends on what you're doing and why.

Sonics, driving power, and generall audio ability, DX150 is clearly more versatile, since you can strap in AMP5, AMP4S, AMP3, AMP1, etc.

DX150 also has a low output impedance, so it will work flawlessly with almost anything you combine it with.

R6 on the other hand, has the quicker CPU, and it is a one-piece thing.

Out of the factory, DX150 is smooth and warm, where R6 is slightly thick, but feels more neutral.

I tried my best comparing them in my Hiby R6 review, and will do so again in my DX150 review.

Would recommend both, but for very different reasons and do to different jobs.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/05/hiby-r6-true-android-power.html

DeNZg0_XkAYgDjD.jpg:large

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #919 of 3,129
May 27, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #920 of 3,129
Well i did not get a bad batch cuz a single DSD track takes 6% which would be 60% for a 10 track DSD album. I know they are big and kill batt but i never had a device tick down as I watched on a single track

What headphones or IEM's are you using? I get around 10% per album of DSD 64. Listening to Cyndi Lauper and it is about 11% now for the one album so it varies. Yesterday I downloaded a new Four Seasons, as if I don't have enough but the playing and instruments and recording are all exceptional, DSD 256 and that does suck the power but that is expected.

------

On standby, I don't understand why it would be used for days. I would say my DX150 would last 6 days in standby but why? If I don't use it, I turn it off. The WM1Z has a really long standby but I have forgotten it at times to find that it was totally flat so I turn it off when not using it or keep it plugged in. Even with a long standby mode, why use the power needlessly, it only takes but a very short time to power on the players, most of them.

May 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #921 of 3,129
I cannot say...

My R6 is one of the first and myself and Headfonics iirc have units that cannot update FW without some crazy back flashing then flash to latest FW so I dunno what folks are doing/can do with it now. Standby time is maybe 5% over several days if that.
However...I love Mango Player and the sound of DX150 so that plus the DX200 got 12 FW updates leads me to think battery life and some of the lag can be fixed.

So, unless Joe has messed up with the updates the R6 probably has a more mature droid/player experience. I prefer the DX150 because it's new?..and the player is my favorite

I'd rec the R6 but prefer the DX150.
I love my EX1000 and have had them sent to America twicw for cabling but I never rec em cuz the fit is a hassle for most. So loving an item does not automatically get a rec and visa versa.
Hi Chris,
I have been wanting to ask you an important question....how does X5 3 compares to DX150 in sound quality (since they both use same DACs) alone?

May 27, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #922 of 3,129
hi @ExpatinJapan i saw on your review of Comet
HTML:
http://www.headpie.net/2018/05/campfire-audio-comet-review-expatinjapan.html
On your Echobox Explorer you are using UAPP, have you tried it on DX150 too? would like to hear your impression vs the Mango Player.

Ask @Niyologist

He has lurkers firmware and can compare for you.

May 27, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #923 of 3,129
What headphones or IEM's are you using? I get around 10% per album of DSD 64. Listening to Cyndi Lauper and it is about 11% now for the one album so it varies. Yesterday I downloaded a new Four Seasons, as if I don't have enough but the playing and instruments and recording are all exceptional, DSD 256 and that does suck the power but that is expected.

------

On standby, I don't understand why it would be used for days. I would say my DX150 would last 6 days in standby but why? If I don't use it, I turn it off. The WM1Z has a really long standby but I have forgotten it at times to find that it was totally flat so I turn it off when not using it or keep it plugged in. Even with a long standby mode, why use the power needlessly, it only takes but a very short time to power on the players, most of them.

If standby was like this typically i might just turn em off but it isn't unless it is a dac/amp strapped to a phone which might cause one or the other to charge and drain. I got some DAP's all topped off last night and all with no wifi and twenty minutes ago, about 20 hours and
DX150 is 14%
OPUS #2 is 2%
X7II is 3%
R6 is 1%
WM1A is 0% * I know this is not same platform but just for the hell of it *

Since R6 is the newest prior to DX150 excluding WM1A I got used to checking days later and not even noting a loss big enough to even notice.

The battery is an issue and should be addressed end of story, no explaining, doesn't matter, folks who pay often don't care why just what.

You accept an issue that is not acceptable to me so we don't need to waste thread. I won't quote you again. No bad feels just don't wanna waste thread

Before I started my control I downloaded Lurker's FW despite saying I wouldn't...I'm stubborn, not stupid.
DSD lag is same and happens when a flac is started after a DSD as the original vid shows. Everybody misses that it is a flac taking 5+ seconds to load
iBasso said that is was xmos tech related (legit) however another owner said Lurker FW fixed the lag
That goes against iBasso's explanation and Lurkers declaration about no bugs being "fixed" So that was a placebo or something?

The DX isn't bad, it's really bad with standby, it's 3x faster than it's closest drainer X7II...that's an issue

SUMMARY:
DX150 has an extended lag when going from DSD to flac. Not playing DSD.
Volume steps reflect this lag as well
Standby time is really poor. Hard to get why anyone would say anything besides "Yeah, that's a problem, iBasso needs to fix that" unless you work for them but then again....12 updates now 13 for DX200 which had /has battery standby issues too according to PM's I got over the last week. I never noticed that and if they are not complaining in DX200 thread they get no sympathy from me.But 13 updates makes me feel good.

Also Lurker deserves credit for what he does. no insults to him. The issues of device are not his to fix. Nice to have Hiby, on the device so thanks for his work!

Hi Chris,
I have been wanting to ask you an important question....how does X5 3 compares to DX150 in sound quality (since they both use same DACs) alone?

I think the DX150 sounds better. The X5III was underpowered via balanced and it was to much to overcome. However, watch my vids and decide if having folks say 20 versions of "What's the big deal?" while you wait and hope for the issues to be fixed.

The owner Paul has been very fair and is totally cool. He has a record of addressing issues so I am gonna wait. It's sounds very very nice. Looking back I think some of perceived warmth of X5III was power related. The DX150 seems to be a better design for those DAC

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #924 of 3,129
Very complicated answer, depends on what you're doing and why.

Sonics, driving power, and generall audio ability, DX150 is clearly more versatile, since you can strap in AMP5, AMP4S, AMP3, AMP1, etc.

DX150 also has a low output impedance, so it will work flawlessly with almost anything you combine it with.

R6 on the other hand, has the quicker CPU, and it is a one-piece thing.

Out of the factory, DX150 is smooth and warm, where R6 is slightly thick, but feels more neutral.

I tried my best comparing them in my Hiby R6 review, and will do so again in my DX150 review.

Would recommend both, but for very different reasons and do to different jobs.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/05/hiby-r6-true-android-power.html

DeNZg0_XkAYgDjD.jpg:large

aw! you will scratch those 2 babies

May 28, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #927 of 3,129
I think the DX150 sounds better. The X5III was underpowered via balanced and it was to much to overcome. However, watch my vids and decide if having folks say 20 versions of "What's the big deal?" while you wait and hope for the issues to be fixed.

The owner Paul has been very fair and is totally cool. He has a record of addressing issues so I am gonna wait. It's sounds very very nice. Looking back I think some of perceived warmth of X5III was power related. The DX150 seems to be a better design for those DAC
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chris, I watched almost all your videos.
I really like the form factor of X5 3 but it does need improvements in its sound especially the treble response and sometimes I don't like its warm sound.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #928 of 3,129
So, I had DX150 turned off, and it doesn't really consume battery while it is shut down, forgot with what I left it before shutting it down, but now it is at around 93%, and it was off for 5-6 days

Have not tested stand-by times yet though

Still, it is good that it is good to go from a cold boot, so you can probably avoid running into issues by shutting it down completely when not in use.

May 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #929 of 3,129
My experience is pretty congruent with that. Since Friday PM til now, I've had my DX150 charged and shut off. Just turned it on and it's at 98%.

But the problem is when the unit is in stand-by. I've definitely noticed 15-20% drop between morning/evening sessions. Been curious to try Lurker's firmware to see if it helps much...

May 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #930 of 3,129
This has piqued my interest.

Yesterday mid morning i used the DX150 for a short time with FLAC and the xDSD as I was doing some tests.

CA606EFF-1CC8-4E78-BD54-45F7D898A0DE.jpeg

Now as you look at the above picture you may be forgiven for saying ‘shaddup expat! Thats a decent nine hours of play there ya numbnuts!’

But I only used it for less than an hour in the morning.

Usually I am quite lucky with daps etc. so my inner Poirot got his little grey cells going.

Earlier there was another picture posted of battery drain also. Which was the catalyst to my investigation (ongoing).

In their photo it had Android as the main culprit.
In mine it had miscellaneous.
Two differences, not sure what they could mean.

So I charged it up to 100% last night whilst watching the latest episode of Westworld. Then unplugged it and went to sleep. Leaving it in rest mode, not turned off.

AAB0FCA4-C11F-4DFD-9114-E98071782C05.jpeg

Above was after about 7 hours I think.

The main thing I did was close all the open windows before letting it sit in a rest mode.
(A good idea with iphones too).

*usually on DX200 i use non android Mango so less background activity.

Anyway I will check it again when I return home and post the next installment.

I love a good mystery, and men generally like to find solutions to problems.

*EDIT: I was also tempted to install Lurkers FW but am a bit worried about following the steps.

Attachments

• A9637964-2B38-4F84-9863-76DA56898C3B.jpeg
    A9637964-2B38-4F84-9863-76DA56898C3B.jpeg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back