iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #856 of 3,129
So I think I may be sold on the DX150, seems to fit the needs and requirements I have or am looking for from a device like this and it fits in my price range for a new unit without having to track down a used unit that fits in my price range. I was just curious about what headphones should work with this. Should my HD 6xx's work okay with this DAP if using them on the go when I am traveling? I would also be interested in getting a pair of 2.5 bal IEMs for keeping in my backpack when on the go and using it with my laptop etc. or biking. I was thinking about the Fiio Pro f9 which I have seem to hear decent things about, comes with a balanced cable and is not too too expensive. Should this be a sufficient/good combo and would my 6xx's work well enough with this if I wanted to use real headphones rather than IEMs?

May 24, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #857 of 3,129
So I think I may be sold on the DX150, seems to fit the needs and requirements I have or am looking for from a device like this and it fits in my price range for a new unit without having to track down a used unit that fits in my price range. I was just curious about what headphones should work with this. Should my HD 6xx's work okay with this DAP if using them on the go when I am traveling? I would also be interested in getting a pair of 2.5 bal IEMs for keeping in my backpack when on the go and using it with my laptop etc. or biking. I was thinking about the Fiio Pro f9 which I have seem to hear decent things about, comes with a balanced cable and is not too too expensive. Should this be a sufficient/good combo and would my 6xx's work well enough with this if I wanted to use real headphones rather than IEMs?

I just checked with my HD6XX, and yes, the DX150 with standard AMP6 module does get them good and loud. I tested on a quiet recording, too. Amber Rubarth's SESSIONS FROM THE 17TH WARD.

However, it does push this device to its limits. Personally, I'd prefer to give my Senns a little more headroom, and buy the AMP5 module. That will handle the situation much better. :D

May 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #858 of 3,129
I just checked with my HD6XX, and yes, the DX150 with standard AMP6 module does get them good and loud. I tested on a quiet recording, too. Amber Rubarth's SESSIONS FROM THE 17TH WARD.

However, it does push this device to its limits. Personally, I'd prefer to give my Senns a little more headroom, and buy the AMP5 module. That will handle the situation much better. :D

Agreed, DX150 with AMP6 has more power than R6, but still on limit for HD6XX, AMP5 from iBasso would make things much better

May 24, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #859 of 3,129
Can anyone provide a brief description of the effects of the different digital filter (DF) settings? Looks like default is #2 Slow Roll-Off? Thanks!

May 25, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #860 of 3,129
Would you guys say there are significant differences between the 2 devices? I am definitely not quite as experienced as some of you guys are. Do you think I would notice a significant noticeable difference in sound/quality between the 2 devices? Especially if I am primarily using with headphones on the go rather than hooking it up to a home speaker system etc? This looks like it may be the perfect device for me, fit in my price range even if I buy it new rather than used, and support the functionality I am looking for from a device.

Sure, there are differences between the DX200 and the DX150. The obvious being price. And yes, I do notice a difference in sound quality between the two. Does that difference warrant twice the price? That's too subjective and up to each of us alone.

I think the DX150 is one heck of a DAP and I do prefer it over the DX200 in some areas. They aren't really glaring differences and had the DX150 not come around, I may never have noticed them. But I like the look and feel of the DX150 better. The lack of the guard around the volume control is especially noticeable. As are the physical buttons. They just feel better to me and I find them easier to use by touch. Overall I think the aesthetics are better on the DX150. I also find the DX150 to be a bit more responsive from a UI perspective. I don't really find the DX200 sluggish, but for me, my DX150 feels snappier. It's like iBasso made some minor but noticeable tweaks based on feedback from the DX200. I have no idea if that's the case, but it's the little things that I think are improvements.

That said, I'm not planning on giving up my DX200. :) Actually, I have no plans to give up either. I use them both equally right now.

Based on your comments I think you'd be very happy with the DX150. Especially on the go. For me, using them for travel on a plane or train or other somewhat noisy environments, I think I'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference between the two in terms of sound quality. Especially with open phones.

I agree with the previous comments regarding the HD6XX. There's plenty of volume but they do improve with a bit more power. I don't have AMP5 but do imagine it would make a good addition to that combo.

Good luck!

May 25, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #861 of 3,129
This is how I have my DX150 is connected to my iFi xDSD.

cameringo_20180525_003814.jpg

It has clipping issues. USB OTG connected to the Blue USB Adapter provided with the xDSD.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #862 of 3,129
Hey guys, just a couple final questions before I probably pull the plug on this. I know the size is a bit bigger than other DAPs, do you think it is something that would be unreasonably big to carry around with you say if I went biking/mountain biking in a pocket or do you think this is doable depending on how much you can tolerate it? Also, since I will be using this a lot in my car, I'd like to plug it in, throw it in my glove box and forget about it. Does anyone have any experience trying to control this device remotely? Are there apps or anything I could get on my android phone to pair it up via bluetooth and use as a remote to keep the device in the glove box, or would the Fiio rm1 be compatible with this device even though it is not a Fiio product?

May 25, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #863 of 3,129
Hey guys, just a couple final questions before I probably pull the plug on this. I know the size is a bit bigger than other DAPs, do you think it is something that would be unreasonably big to carry around with you say if I went biking/mountain biking in a pocket or do you think this is doable depending on how much you can tolerate it? Also, since I will be using this a lot in my car, I'd like to plug it in, throw it in my glove box and forget about it. Does anyone have any experience trying to control this device remotely? Are there apps or anything I could get on my android phone to pair it up via bluetooth and use as a remote to keep the device in the glove box, or would the Fiio rm1 be compatible with this device even though it is not a Fiio product?
If I'm wearing loose cargo pants, they should be ok but it will be too big if I'm wearing jeans. Get the baggier type of cycling pants if you want to bring it when cycling, I don't think it will be able to fit in the skin tight ones at all. The weight of the player shouldn't be a problem but it may cause chafing and some skin irritation due movement.

May 25, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #864 of 3,129
If I'm wearing loose cargo pants, they should be ok but it will be too big if I'm wearing jeans. Get the baggier type of cycling pants if you want to bring it when cycling, I don't think it will be able to fit in the skin tight ones at all. The weight of the player shouldn't be a problem but it may cause chafing and some skin irritation due movement.
I normally wear bike shorts with a pair of cargo shorts over them so I think I should be able to find a way to manage if I want to use this, thanks.

May 25, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #865 of 3,129

I haven't tried connecting it via Bluetooth or anything so I can't comment on that.
I have carried it (and the DX200, which is slightly bigger and heavier) in front and back pockets of tight fitting jeans, suit trouser and jacket pockets and in coat pockets.
For sure, I'd prefer something smaller and lighter, but at the end of the day, it's perfectly manageable and I'm willing to bear it (metaphorically and literally speaking lol) because it sounds so good :)

May 25, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #866 of 3,129
bluetooth remote (i use fiio rm1) works perfectly.

May 26, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #869 of 3,129
Talking abt bluetooth, I am experiencing when playing 24bit Flac there is no sound, but all ok with 16 bit files..

It only works with 16/44 playback.

May 26, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #870 of 3,129
I was decided on getting IBasso Dx150 but is not aceptable
that a unit advertised as android unit dont let you install Google play store
which is needed to install poweramp and neutron music app.
That solution offered to manual install APK files is not good
because i have purchased several themes for poweramp i want to use and need Google play store
to get them installed.

I asked Paul and he was kind to respond to me
that i could use lurker firmware to get google play store installed
unfortunaly installing the firmware seemed complicated to me

The instruction was not clear when to disconect the Dx150 player
I asked Lurker
because i need to know when to disconect the dx150 before i conect it again

I dont like the answer i got
I need help but Lurker is away
QfuTkPF.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread