iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 12, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,991 of 3,129
For what it's worth windows 10 is free, you can download it 100% legally from Microsoft and install it and use it forever with only minor drawbacks such as not being able to change desktop background and stuff.

As far as the other AMPs go, do they make that much of a difference? I've been fairly happy with my dx150 since I've had it and don't get to use it as much as I would like to and should due to the convience of a phone with internet on my car, I usually end up streaming. With my dap I have to run a power cord and aux cord to it and use the controls on the device itself, or connect it via Bluetooth which I feel defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading it and spending like half the device or more on a new amp for it. I see there seems to be a few new ibasso daps that came out since o bought this, do I need to worry about it being obsolete anytime soon?

May 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,992 of 3,129
As far as the other AMPs go, do they make that much of a difference?
well - not really. Or rather, how much of a difference you hear depends on a few limiting factors (transducers of choice, hearing, source files, etc). I'd say that the amps offer a different flavor. Below is an overly simplified comparison of DX150 with amp6 vs amp7

Amp6 - elevated low end, colored euphonic mids, subdued 'wet' sounding treble. Very pleasing and soft. I actually like the treble a lot for harsher IEMs.
Amp7 - warm neutral low end with nice decay, clear and deeply resolving mids, enhanced upper mids, 'crunchy' detailed treble that isn't subdued.

keep in mind, the changes are noticeable and different, but one isn't necessarily 'better performing' than the other. I suppose technically for detail retrieval you can argue 7 has the edge, but that same edge causes certain IEMs to sound too grating for me.

do I need to worry about it being obsolete anytime soon?

Nah! 150 isn't yet obsolete. it uses their amp card system that they don't have plans to phase out (at least yet).

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading it and spending like half the device or more on a new amp for it.

Buy an amp card second hand off the head-fi classifieds and resell if you don't like it. You'll lose minimal $$ and get to try for yourself!

May 12, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,993 of 3,129
Yeah I've been seeing about this AMP9 so I was going to look into getting that or at least think about it, just a bit of an investment as is everything with this hobby.

I only have it01s right now so I'm sure those could use an upgrade as well if I want more out of an AMP.

Just afraid of buying it and then only really using it in my car and not benefitting that much from the better sound. I love this device but it's too easy to use my phone a lot of times.

May 30, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,997 of 3,129
Quick question regarding the DX150.

The other day, I wanted to test out some dac/amps and headphones using my DX150 as source.

I connected my DX150 to the dac/amp via USB-C⇒USB-B but the DX150 did not output anything to the dac/amp.
Is it even possible to connect the DX150 to a desktop dac/amp in this fashion? If yes, do I need to edit some settings on my DX150?

May 30, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #2,998 of 3,129
Quick question regarding the DX150.

The other day, I wanted to test out some dac/amps and headphones using my DX150 as source.

I connected my DX150 to the dac/amp via USB-C⇒USB-B but the DX150 did not output anything to the dac/amp.
Is it even possible to connect the DX150 to a desktop dac/amp in this fashion? If yes, do I need to edit some settings on my DX150?

It is not well connected. That way you are trying to use the DAC Chip of both equipments. The correct way is through the coaxial cable or line out.

May 31, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #2,999 of 3,129
It is not well connected. That way you are trying to use the DAC Chip of both equipments. The correct way is through the coaxial cable or line out.

Oh, I was unaware I can't use the DX150's USB C as digital out, guess it's not possible to test any DACs then :frowning:
Thanks!

May 31, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,000 of 3,129
Oh, I was unaware I can't use the DX150's USB C as digital out, guess it's not possible to test any DACs then :frowning:
Thanks!

Yes, of course you can try various dac's. When you connect them to the line output or even better through the coaxial cable, you are using the DAC chip of the other equipment and the information (music from the DX150). USB C is designed in this case to receive information from other equipment (music) and use the DAC chip of the DX150 with its internal amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back