iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
May 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #2,746 of 2,799
People will hear what they hear and have very different opinions about everything.  Everyone has some bias as to what they expect and no piece of equipment will be able to met everyone's bias perfectly unless we all become drones.  Let us hope this does not happen.  

I am still enjoying my DX100 even after having sold my ALO Continental V2 which was very good and the Fostex HP-P1 which amp was arguably amp at a lower level than either the ALO or DX100 in my opinion but still quite good in absolute terms.  I would even put the DX100 above my RSA SR-71B going balanced compared with my DX100 single ended; so my opinion obviously is based on much less experience than some but it based on some recent experience gained from actual listening over extended periods with all these amps.

Grain, maybe I am not so sensitive to whatever this is...The DX100 is not as good as my SPL Phonitor with my HD800 for sure. I really don't enjoy the HD800 with the DX100, maybe this is a function what is being called grain...not sure. But with the Westone 4R, DT1350, HD25; everything I said above is good with the DX100.  

And as for as UI, I have had far fewer issues than reading the two primary threads would suggest.  Yes, some issues but nothing that keeps me from enjoying the DX100 itself.

May 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,747 of 2,799
From Anaxilus' impressions, I took away that the UERM is 1. a not good match for the DX100, and 2. really, really sensitive. :) I'm glad I have warmer cans like ES5 and LCD-2.

Strange that I hear absolutely no difference between DX100's stock amp, and the O2.

Quote:

I personally find the DX100 to sound very good with warmer/darker phones than neutral/brighter ones. The older firmware sounds very good with the ES5 but the newer firmware not so much. EQ has got to be turned on and set back at nominal (from the boosted +6 position). It gives better definition to the sound and removes the harshness/coarseness while improving on the dynamics on the ES5.

Didn't iBasso say that "opening" the EQ will make Android change the sound further?

May 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2,748 of 2,799
The nature of the ES5's tuning as a stage monitor to prevent fatigue is perfect for those spotlit areas I mentioned.  I still enjoy my ES5 more than the UERM but as an honest tool to dissect audio gear and tracks I haven't heard better than the UERM.  It's just doing it's job and allows me to make relative comparisons cleanly and easily.  If there is a reference neutral that even exists the RM comes closest to it.  Nobody should take my comments as saying it's impossible to enjoy the DX100.  It's a relative impression based on my experiences and test regimen.  It's not a pleasant experience for 95% of the gear out there.  For example, I made a long, long list once of amps I found inferior to the O2 which included all sorts, sizes and prices.  The O2 is not even my preferred or reference amp so that might provide some context of how critical I am.

May 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,749 of 2,799
Anyone interested in exchanging your DX100 with one of my RB'd iPod Video 120GB's so you won't have the problems you are going thru?

I am here willing to help.
wink_face.gif

May 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,750 of 2,799
Just returned my loaner DX100 to its owner and was informed they only had about 4 hours of use prior.  So about 6.5-7 with my use.  I'll be giving it another listen after they've had a few hundred more hours of use for the sake of fairness and update any impressions/deviations if any.

May 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,752 of 2,799
Quote:
Just returned my loaner DX100 to its owner and was informed they only had about 4 hours of use prior.  So about 6.5-7 with my use.  I'll be giving it another listen after they've had a few hundred more hours of use for the sake of fairness and update any impressions/deviations if any.

I kinda had a feeling this was the case anaxilous :wink:. Out of the box it was pretty good sounding but not to the level it attains once properly burned in. To be honest that harshness you had mentioned is not what I hear in the DX100. At this point if I use Flat EQ the DX100 will sound downright boring as it is so mellow yet still very detailed. I much prefer the EQ off as ibasso intended it to sound this way, at least until the next update. The sound stage will significantly improve, with more air, & spaciousness. Imaging also greatly improves. The bass is to die for with usage. There's this texture and depth that just draws you into the presentation yet still doesn't distract from the treble or mid range.

May 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,753 of 2,799
Quote:
People will hear what they hear and have very different opinions about everything.  Everyone has some bias as to what they expect and no piece of equipment will be able to met everyone's bias perfectly unless we all become drones.  Let us hope this does not happen.  

I am still enjoying my DX100 even after having sold my ALO Continental V2 which was very good and the Fostex HP-P1 which amp was arguably amp at a lower level than either the ALO or DX100 in my opinion but still quite good in absolute terms.  I would even put the DX100 above my RSA SR-71B going balanced compared with my DX100 single ended; so my opinion obviously is based on much less experience than some but it based on some recent experience gained from actual listening over extended periods with all these amps.

Grain, maybe I am not so sensitive to whatever this is...The DX100 is not as good as my SPL Phonitor with my HD800 for sure. I really don't enjoy the HD800 with the DX100, maybe this is a function what is being called grain...not sure. But with the Westone 4R, DT1350, HD25; everything I said above is good with the DX100.  

And as for as UI, I have had far fewer issues than reading the two primary threads would suggest.  Yes, some issues but nothing that keeps me from enjoying the DX100 itself.

Have you tried feeding the DX into Phonitor? I have an Auditor and HD800 and am interested how this would do as a desktop DAC.

May 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,754 of 2,799
Quote:
Have you tried feeding the DX into Phonitor? I have an Auditor and HD800 and am interested how this would do as a desktop DAC.

No I have not..I have been thinking about letting it be a transport into the Lavry ahead of the Phonitor though. I have gotten to lazy to do the hook ups to get the DX100 as a DAC setup to feed the Phonitor.  My Squeezebox Touch has been 'kicking up a fit' lately with my home network so I may go away from it and use the DX100 in this way.  I know the Phonitor/Lavry trumps the DX100 when listening to the HD800 in no small way.  The DX100 is the best portable DAC that I have heard to date after comparing it to the iBasso DB2 (balance of course) and HP-P1 in various combinations.  

DX100 headphone output > iBasso DB2+SR-71B balanced when using either the HP-P1/iPod Touch or DX100 as transport
DX100 headphone output > Fostex HP-P1 single ended when using either the HP-P1/iPod Touch or DX100 as transport
DX100 headphone output > HP-P1 + iBasso DB2 + SR-71B when using either the HP-P1/iPod Touch or DX100 as transport
DX100 headphone output > HP-P1 + SR-71B (single ended or balanced)

Just awaiting arrival now of the AL0 Rx Mk3 to put it into the mix. I just will not be able to put the HP-P1 into this mix since I sold it.  BTW, don't anyone take away that the HP-P1 was a failure.  I still is a great sounding unit that I enjoyed very much and would be very satisfied to only have it.  I really liked it more than the SR-71B single ended.  The DB2/SR-71B probably will be sold eventually after getting the ALO Mk3.

I so much like the ability to get great sound anywhere I happen to be...so portability is what I have been focusing on lately.  All these are great combinations and anyone should be pleased with any of them.  It is just that I am going through a testing phase wondering what all these new products may offer me and while doing it attempting to maximize my sound profile preferences in a final configuration.

BTW, I just ordered the ALO RX Mk3 over the weekend and received my 2day tracking number minutes ago.  Hope to hear it Wednesday.

May 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,755 of 2,799
Wow my eyes hurt lol

thats alot to read on this thread

Im a tad daft it appears tho

As is evidenced in my previous threads , im looking for a 24/96 at least solution for my setup

SR71b(but piqued interest in RX-MK3-B) , sennheiser HD800s (ipod classic 160 gig ) and algo solo

After all that dinero i find what appears to be an all in one solution , this is where me being daft comes in

im wanting to play at least 24/96 from my classic,now i know even with solo i cant , so i considered other
options like ipad , which im told wont downsample , but the itouch does ? Odd

Then i find this baby , it plays 24/192 lol WOW , and has what most seem to appreciate its amp

Correct me if im wrong and tell me if im correct . i can have this DAP , and still use my SR71B , or
Rx MK3-B if i get one as the amp , and play un downsampled 24/192 flacs ? Or if preferred just
use this devices amp , if good nuff , flog my SR71B ?

have i missed a vital tid bit here , as it appears to good to be true . Appears only downside is its 64
gig memory , BUt so are the alt. apple options , and this one has an sd slot , and does it have
what appears to me , to be cover art for the cd playing ? Similar to my classic

im hesitant to jump the gun here , as ive done twice in alst month or so ,so further direction here is appreciated

thanks

May 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,756 of 2,799
Wow my eyes hurt lol

thats alot to read on this thread

Im a tad daft it appears tho

As is evidenced in my previous threads , im looking for a 24/96 at least solution for my setup

SR71b(but piqued interest in RX-MK3-B) , sennheiser HD800s (ipod classic 160 gig ) and algo solo

After all that dinero i find what appears to be an all in one solution , this is where me being daft comes in

im wanting to play at least 24/96 from my classic,now i know even with solo i cant , so i considered other
options like ipad , which im told wont downsample , but the itouch does ? Odd

Then i find this baby , it plays 24/192 lol WOW , and has what most seem to appreciate its amp

Correct me if im wrong and tell me if im correct . i can have this DAP , and still use my SR71B , or

Rx MK3-B if i get one as the amp , and play un downsampled 24/192 flacs ? Or if preferred just
use this devices amp , if good nuff , flog my SR71B ?

have i missed a vital tid bit here , as it appears to good to be true . Appears only downside is its 64
gig memory , BUt so are the alt. apple options , and this one has an sd slot , and does it have
what appears to me , to be cover art for the cd playing ? Similar to my classic

im hesitant to jump the gun here , as ive done twice in alst month or so ,so further direction here is appreciated

thanks

You have not missed any tidbits! The DX100 has both optical output and line out that you could use to feed your other devices if you like. Yes, it will play 24/192 natively without downsampling. You can, of course, either upsample or downsample if you wish, as there is an SRC selector available as a menu item. This is a very versatile device and a fine-sounding one as well.

May 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,757 of 2,799
Damn mate thanks

Wanna buy a solo and maybe a sr71b . LOL

So folk are also quite pleased with its amp?  Me eyes hurt to their sockets from reading lol

This is a dap/dac/and amp too good to be true hahaha

Wonder if itll drive my HD800s well ?

So i can use my sr71B for a bit with dx100 to see/hear which i prefer ?
 Wow again

Now wondering what new cables ill need that i dont have ? Not sure what the ones i have are even called LOL
and hoping they can be used on this setup ?

And the screen in pics appears to have ability to display cover art similar to my ipod classic , is that correct ?

Also , prob. most important is the dac inside , if i dont like the amp, i can always use my choice of amp ? But
then this makes the dac the most important to my use . How does this dac compare to the wolfson dac in the
cypher labs solo ? C Labs is Mum on wot wolfson ,but apparently it is a $ 10.00 part ,compared to ipods
less than a dollar dac . Any opinions/facts/advice on dx100s dac is also appreciated

And one more edit , sorry . Will this also be able to replace my Kingrex UD384 Dac , in being able to connect to my laptop
or pc and play files from there ? Or from a seagate goflex wireless hdd ? i know king rex will eventually do 32 bit ,but
for now id do better selling it as id be in need of cash if i buy this . Alas , can i use this with my SR71b ,and run the whole
setup in balanced mode ?

Cheers

May 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,758 of 2,799
Quote:
How does this dac compare to the wolfson dac in the
cypher labs solo ? 

Its a ES9018 32Bit DAC

Its not too shabby but go look at the iBasso site to read up on the details. Its still early days on whether there is any gain on using an external amp.. some are saying it sounds better and some are not sure and some say no gain... and then you have the SE v Balanced out. 

May 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #2,759 of 2,799
Make sure you read both threads...I think the other thread has most of my impressions when using the DT1350, HD25-1 and Westone 4r for both singled ended and balanced presentations.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #2,760 of 2,799
I made a 3,5mm to RCA coaxial cable for use with a few portable DAC units and the Dx100 and C4 player, just to help me compare them. I was taken by surprise by the page one announcement that said 'mini coaxial' as I expected that was a completely different format. It's not mini coaxial (as in the termination), it's just coaxial terminated in 3,5 headphone jack with ground to the S portion of the TRS jack, or TS jack.

Works great. 

I think next time, I'd choose a right angle switchcraft or Neutrik rather than Oyaide simply because I want more compact. Also, the Oyaide is made much more delicately, not really strong enough inside to hold connections as well as either of the other companies. Anyway, glad the coax out isn't some hard to find thing. 

Here is the cable from a top view if you are interested in making your own.

It's here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back