iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #2,266 of 2,799
To those who want the DX100 to function as a standalone DAC/amp via USB, there is no way I would spend ~$800 on either the DX100 or the HM-801 if that was my aim. I accept that its great to have a 'Swiss Army knife', but I think you would be better served putting that kind of money toward a bigger setup for use with your computer. I dont know what percentage of the price of these DAPs is consumed by the need to fit so much in relatively small cases, but its a premium I wouldnt be willing to pay if all I needed was a USB DAC and a capable amp - separating those two will give you a lot more flexibility when you next want to upgrade. If I'm interpreting the impressions to date correctly, the amp in the DX100 would appear to be the weak(er) link - add a good portable or entry-level desktop amp to your DAP and you are in D1 territory.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,267 of 2,799
I added the ibasso dx100 to the cart and the total is $10,716 this can't be right lol?
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,268 of 2,799
Jan 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2,269 of 2,799
They did this so that nobody would buy a DX100 until they got back from CNY and finalized pricing for the future batches.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,270 of 2,799
What would you recommend then, for one who has the O2, Macbook air, and LCD2?
u don't mind being tethered to the MbA since I have my ES5 for portable use with my iPhone. 

Quote:
To those who want the DX100 to function as a standalone DAC/amp via USB, there is no way I would spend ~$800 on either the DX100 or the HM-801 if that was my aim. I accept that its great to have a 'Swiss Army knife', but I think you would be better served putting that kind of money toward a bigger setup for use with your computer. I dont know what percentage of the price of these DAPs is consumed by the need to fit so much in relatively small cases, but its a premium I wouldnt be willing to pay if all I needed was a USB DAC and a capable amp - separating those two will give you a lot more flexibility when you next want to upgrade. If I'm interpreting the impressions to date correctly, the amp in the DX100 would appear to be the weak(er) link - add a good portable or entry-level desktop amp to your DAP and you are in D1 territory.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,271 of 2,799

we will know everything this coming monday. However, if I were you I might stay up when next batch comes out. I have feeling it will last even less than an hour.
Quote:
If I were to order this now is the price still $699? or is it $829? when will it be $829?

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,273 of 2,799

I finally arrive~
darthsmile.gif
I update it at any time.

[size=0.8125em] iBasso DX100/Review[/size]

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/m_4ck/folder/631520.html

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2,275 of 2,799

Quote:

Android app - neutron music player @ 94,000 HZ, 24 bits, 4608 KBPS if you can enlarge the picture you'll see the specs right below the timer.

The neutron player is sluggish by itself. It sucks up all you phone resources and makes it heat up pretty fast even if your phone boast of a very good specs.

Pair it with the DX100, you will get a super duper uber laggy player that just makes you don't wanna listen to music anymore =)

SQ wise, I believe it is the best, if not, one of the best.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,276 of 2,799
That's interesting, I haven't experienced that yet, but I don't spend too much time listening to music on my mobile; but to answer the previous poster it will play high res files: AIIF, WAV etc, bit for bit which ain't too shabby for $4.99.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,277 of 2,799

Quote:

The neutron player is sluggish by itself. It sucks up all you phone resources and makes it heat up pretty fast even if your phone boast of a very good specs.

Pair it with the DX100, you will get a super duper uber laggy player that just makes you don't wanna listen to music anymore =)

SQ wise, I believe it is the best, if not, one of the best.

It is a little buggy I must admit. I'm a not so happy owner of this program now lol. Will most likely buy the Power amp version as well.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,278 of 2,799
Quote:
Actually i want to use T5P with DX100. Is it a bad idea? Currently i have hm-801 and haven't decided yet if i should try DX100.

Surprisingly they had the T5P at the meet on Friday. This is a complete coincidence in relation to my earlier comment that you quoted.

The T5P is a gorgeous headphone to look at. Comfortable too. However, what I had read about impedance matching must be right. There was not enough bass  driven out of the DX100, or my Stepdance, or even the Classic line out. I don't understand this headphone. Why have a 4' cable and mini-jack if you need high output impedance to drive it?

Maybe HM801 and recabling to balanced is the way to go with the T5P?

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2,279 of 2,799

Quote:
Quote:

The T5P is a gorgeous headphone to look at. Comfortable too. However, what I had read about impedance matching must be right. There was not enough bass  driven out of the DX100, or my Stepdance, or even the Classic line out. I don't understand this headphone. Why have a 4' cable and mini-jack if you need high output impedance to drive it?

I don't think so.

The T5P and the UE TF10 both have 32ohms impedance and I have never felt that the TF10 has got not enough bass. It could be that the T5P is light on bass?

The rule of thumb is to have the output impedance around 8 times lesser than the impedance of the headphones. But it will be a hassle to find one that has got around 4ohms of output impedance to match a typical 32ohms headphones/iems isn't it? =)

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,280 of 2,799

Quote:
I don't think so.

The T5P and the UE TF10 both have 32ohms impedance and I have never felt that the TF10 has got not enough bass. It could be that the T5P is light on bass?

The rule of thumb is to have the output impedance around 8 times lesser than the impedance of the headphones. But it will be a hassle to find one that has got around 4ohms of output impedance to match a typical 32ohms headphones/iems isn't it? =)

yeah well the tf10 due to being multidriver will present a wildly varying and mostly much lower impedance than 32ohms and no, actually its not that hard to get MUCH lower than 4ohms, its just that these designers often put resonance damping resistors at the output to protect the chips and thus avoid returns. 'the wire' for example is less than 0.1ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back