iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,086 of 2,799

Quote:
To me with JH13 there is absolutely no unit hiss from the 801. The hiss when decoding 24/96 flac happens with about 25% of my library and has been confirmed as an incompatability. It seems that flac is not all the same

Is your unit standard or does it have that upgraded chip in it? I was under the impression that the standard 801 had hiss issues with Sensitive IEMs/headphones?

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,087 of 2,799

Quote:
     Quote:

I think they were joking Lee.

Stop stalking me and acting bitter because I denied your love letter like 1 year ago and pretended I was a guy, and recently rained on your whole ASIO versus WASAPI (more bass) parade.

Also for the fifth time I never said your Studio V is bad, I said it uses the same DAC as my $20 X19+, that doesn't mean I think the Studio V sounds like $20, for all I know the amp section sounds like 1 million dollars.

Kiteki just lighten up already. Whats wrong with having a little fun. We use to be able to do that in the past without taking things so personally. I'm not here to fight with you. I'm moving on. You have the rights to your opinion and so do I.

Have a nice day.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #2,088 of 2,799
Continuing...

"Testing Part III:

Direct Driving;  Headphone and Iems.
Testing Equipments: ED10, B&W C5, and ES3

Vocal:

Track I:frowning2:Ayaka) Why-PSP, Wave-Japanese version-Clap and Love
Track 2: Beautiful World-EVA, Trails APE

B&W C5:  The uniqueness of the C5 is the relatively slow speed.  I can only barely accept the low frequency feel.  So the key is to increase the speed so the bass frequency doesn't sound sluggish or aggressive.  Driving the C5 using the lowest volume range, the first impression is that the vocal portion appears rather smooth and full, and comparing to the instrumental portion also becomes rather natural.  After several auditions, personally I rather prefer playing the C5 at the mid volume level.  At this level the dynamics of the low frequency performs the best, with sufficient headroom.  The feeling of details and layering are also more clear. The entire musical presentation is maintained in a relatively natural realm.  Comparing to the IPC+Stepdance combo, the DX100 is much easier listening without fatigue.  It also actuate and manifest the unique property of the C5.  I like this sound.

ED10:  One of the two tops headphones.  It is the classic examples of easy to drive and difficult to drive well.  Those prefer the sound of ED10 will love the sound and those hate it will hate it.  Personally it is the most difficult to drive headphone in my present repertoire.  Strong point:  rich in details, the sound of the piano can cause people unable to quit listening.  Sound is very transparent, high instrumental separation.  Comparing to IPC+Stepdance, the mid range is very musical.  Weaknesses:  Treble is bright causing the entire sound presentation to be somewhat aggressive.  I personally do not like the style of treatment of vocal by this phone.

ES3:  The king of pop female vocal.  My version of this ES3 comes with the Piccolino recable.  The uniqueness of this cable rest with the rather smooth and rounded treble, mid range is particularly musical, but driving the bass range is more difficult.  When the ES3/piccolino is being driven by the DX100, it maintains the typical rounded spherical sound stage.  The sound is warm without the loss of clarity and transparency.  Rich in details.  Comparing to IPC+Stepdance combo, there is a perfect feel of bass range and sense of realism.  The position of the mid range and the emotional feel has improved quite a bit.  In terms of driving low frequency range, besides my desktop setup and the balance operation of my PB2, this is the most
satisfactory setup.  Of particularly special is the fact that this is being driven single ended while maintaining its own uniqueness.  In terms of direct driving the ES3, the DX100 is completely the best portable DAP that I have heard, bar none.

Instrumental:

Test Track 1:  TACET (SACD), the Vacuum tube recording only violin.

ES3:  after the brief audition earlier, I didn't change headphone.  So listening to this tube only recording violin I was extremely surprised.  The sound of the tube recordings is warm, soft, and rounded.  All the musical expressions under this system reveals such transparency that it almost borderline realism, being there.  The violin body and the vibration of the string and every minute expression are so finely described.  The sound of the piano is soft, full and natural but not imposing.  The part of the violin is lively with very strong sense of in vivo and being there.  There is no part that I can be critical of.  I feel there is no need to test any other headphones-but because my friends insisting my testing to continue, so I did.  Having a sense of being wrap around by the ES3 and immersed in the warmth of the tube sound, and with the addition of the abundant expression of the violin can easily caused me to forget what phone I am listening to.  So after being loss for half an hour I finally continue my testing.

C5:  I became somewhat uncomfortable after switching to the C5.  This is because the spherical sound stage suddenly was enlarged and I lost the familiar sense of being surrounded by the feeling of warmth.  The soft and rounded mid range becomes a little dry.  The residual effect of the ES3 has lasted till now.  The treble of the C5 is not as smooth with a slight touch of brightness.  The piano on the side has loss a little liveliness.  May be personally I still haven't awaken from the trance produced by the sound of the ES3.  Comparatively speaking, if I hadn't heard the ES3/piccolino combo, may be I can listen to the C5 comfortably but I won't have the feel that is bought on by the ES3.

ED10:  Still remembering one time I used an HD800 desktop system to listen to the ED10--I almost throw away the ED10--it was too bright and aggressive.  "It is like the sound of using a hand saw pulling on steel wire"  Under this system, the DX100, that brightness has been managed.  It is a big improvement at least I can listen to violin with the DX100 even though it is still bright."

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,089 of 2,799
Continuing the last part of Garyvictor first half of his review:

"Test sound track 2:  Dvorak Symphony N0.9 in E Minor, Op95, From the new World-Allergo con fuoco, 24-192 Wav.

The real purpose of testing this sound track is to check the ability to decode 24/192 materials.  The fact remain that teh DX100 did a very good job in supporting the 24/192 format.  The only exception happens during very busy passages, there is some sign that the processing may become overwhelm a little bit.  It is manifested by the music having a 0.2 second of gap.  But I think this problem should be fixed in a later release.  (Hahaha, congratulation to the early adoptors:wink: However, Again, after burn-in, this problem may go away though.  lets keep an eye on it).

ED10:  The resolution ability is very good. On certain drum decaying almost matching the HD800.  The entire presentation is still lacking that of the 800.  The string scratching feel of the double bass is very good.  Here the treble is not as bright as previously experienced.  On the whole, the treble, mid range and bass range is more balanced.   Finally the ED10 has the posturing of being tamed."

Well, that is it.  I am sorry for the lack of proficiency in either languages.  Hope every one can get the gist of it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #2,091 of 2,799
Quote:
To me with JH13 there is absolutely no unit hiss from the 801. The hiss when decoding 24/96 flac happens with about 25% of my library and has been confirmed as an incompatability. It seems that flac is not all the same

Is your unit standard or does it have that upgraded chip in it? I was under the impression that the standard 801 had hiss issues with Sensitive IEMs/headphones?

Ahh, mine has the balanced amp module and all my phones are balanced

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,092 of 2,799
Any more impressions or photo's of this device? Seems to be a lack of both thus far. Wish my budget would allow for one, I'm certainly stoked to eventually try one. It would be interesting comparing this device to other portable set ups, and for kicks, desktop one's too. Very promising product.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2,095 of 2,799
Continuing the last part of Garyvictor first half of his review:

"Test sound track 2:  Dvorak Symphony N0.9 in E Minor, Op95, From the new World-Allergo con fuoco, 24-192 Wav.

The real purpose of testing this sound track is to check the ability to decode 24/192 materials.  The fact remain that teh DX100 did a very good job in supporting the 24/192 format.  The only exception happens during very busy passages, there is some sign that the processing may become overwhelm a little bit.  It is manifested by the music having a 0.2 second of gap.  But I think this problem should be fixed in a later release.  (Hahaha, congratulation to the early adoptors:wink: However, Again, after burn-in, this problem may go away though.  lets keep an eye on it).

ED10:  The resolution ability is very good. On certain drum decaying almost matching the HD800.  The entire presentation is still lacking that of the 800.  The string scratching feel of the double bass is very good.  Here the treble is not as bright as previously experienced.  On the whole, the treble, mid range and bass range is more balanced.   Finally the ED10 has the posturing of being tamed."

Well, that is it.  I am sorry for the lack of proficiency in either languages.  Hope every one can get the gist of it.

Garivictor's write up sounds more like an ads than anything else, just like what he wrote for t5 which does has a few down points, whereas he rarely mentioned. Thanks for post it up here anyway.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2,096 of 2,799

Quote:
Ha, after an hour of writing part III in the reply post, I mis hit a key and loss the whole Part III.  Well such is life, but if you will let me keep the DX100, I'll rewrite again 
biggrin.gif

gs1000.gif

atsmile.gif

If that ever happens to you again, simply press 'CTRL' + 'Z' (or, if you're using an Apple Mac, 'Apple' + 'Z'). It's a universal 'Undo' command, even if there is no menu option available for 'Undo' in the browser or program you are typing within.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,097 of 2,799
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,098 of 2,799
If that ever happens to you again, simply press 'CTRL' + 'Z' (or, if you're using an Apple Mac, 'Apple' + 'Z'). It's a universal 'Undo' command, even if there is no menu option available for 'Undo' in the browser or program you are typing within.

Thanks, it's good to know. I tried to go back to the previous page but it was gone already.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2,099 of 2,799
Oh, I didn't realise you'd moved forwards by a page in your browser - CTRL-Z wouldn't get you out of that one, unfortunately. I thought you meant you'd just hit a keyboard key and inadvertently wiped the text.

However, whenever I'm typing a long post, I frequently press CTRL-A  (select all), immediately followed by CTRL-C  (copy selected material), the carry on typing. This is a habit which means you've always got the majority of your work saved in RAM, on the 'clipboard' of the operating system. In such an instance, even if you did happen to accidentally go forwards in your browser, then go back, you would be able to then type CTRL-V (paste) and all the text you'd most recently 'CTRL-A, CTRL-C' copied to the clipboard would then simply re-paste back into the browser text editor box.

It's also a good habit to do this 'CTRL-A, CTRL-C' method everytime you post anything, just before hitting the 'submit' button. This ensures that if the browser fails to post the message, you can re-paste ('CTRL-V') the message and try to submit it again.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2,100 of 2,799
Hopefully the next batch will still be at $699. I am in at that price, but I will have to pass at $829.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back