iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,801 of 2,799
Quote:
I don't particularily care about the measurements if a device produce a sound I like to listen to

Only the headphones actually produce sound.

If you prefer the sound of a given pair of headphones when fed by an inaccurate amp, all that means is it isn't your perfect headphone, not that the amp is good.

That's rubbish on a level I can't even be bothered to rise to

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,802 of 2,799
I sent Ibasso an e-mail asking whether the DX100 can output simultaneously from the coax out and phone out. If that is possible, then we can compare the DX100 and other systems like Db2/PB2 atnthe same time. So Mischa, can you look into that?

Other requests will be like if you can tell the difference between 16/44 and other hires format preferable using the same song.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,803 of 2,799
Mischa:
Of course, you missed one of the most contested issue - a run down test to show the actual real life battery life. Preferably several run down time tests. One without the screen on, another with wifi on, another with 24/96 being played etc.

And walking through the UI.

But I'm going to be blunt - do the review without your daughter.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,804 of 2,799
And walking through the UI.
But I'm going to be blunt - do the review without your daughter.

Her daughter is going to hate you :wink:. How can you break that little doll's heart. For me, I love to see her in it. But I'll let her decide for herself :D

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,805 of 2,799
Her daughter is going to hate you :wink:. How can you break that little doll's heart. For me, I love to see her in it. But I'll let her decide for herself :D

lol I was just saying what's in everyone's mind. :D

I'm sure she's "the cutest thing I've ever seen".

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,806 of 2,799
[size=10pt]sure Jalo, that's a good idea. I can borrow my friends DB2/PB2 to try it. and I'll see what I can do with battery tests.[/size]

Quote:
I sent Ibasso an e-mail asking whether the DX100 can output simultaneously from the coax out and phone out. If that is possible, then we can compare the DX100 and other systems like Db2/PB2 atnthe same time. So Mischa, can you look into that?
Other requests will be like if you can tell the difference between 16/44 and other hires format preferable using the same song.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,808 of 2,799

will both be on video so it won't matter too much, plus I think everyone in this thread has seen her already.

Quote:
lol I was just saying what's in everyone's mind.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure she's "the cutest thing I've ever seen".

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,809 of 2,799

Quote:
That's rubbish on a level I can't even be bothered to rise to

Quote:
I agree here. Synergy is key and thinking otherwise is being simple minded.

I don't usually bother responding to rudely worded comments, but OK, I'll bite -

How is it "rubbish" or "simple minded" to say that an amp that measures better IS better?

Say you have headphone X, amp A and amp B.

Headphone X has too much upper treble for your liking, amp A has a perfectly linear frequency response, but amp B rolls off the upper treble.

Headphone X will sound better to you with amp B, but amp B is not the better amp.

Only in a world where there was only one set of headphones would that make any sense.

Most of us own multiple pairs of headphones and will own many more in our life times. Buying amp B would be saying it is OK to roll of the treble of ALL of them for the benefit of one... rather than just accept that headphone X is not right for you?

THAT is simple minded.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,810 of 2,799
Still getting one if the reviews are good and there's no HM-801 esque mega-huge charger - if I can just use it on the commute to work then plug it in the mains at work by my desk...and if the software is good, obviously. The discount price was nice but I'd rather pay more after waiting for reviews, so thank you to the HF'ers on here who have gone for the early adoption/review option. There is always the battery pack option as someone linked, although it's already big enough that you wouldn't want to strap something else to it.. but then I tend to use small bags to carry things that would make my pockets bulge so that wouldn't be an issue. As long as it sounds good and is easy to use, I can find ways round the crap battery life. The S:FLO2's battery life sucked but I didn't mind too much, the software was far more annoying and that I did mind.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,811 of 2,799
[size=10pt]sure Jalo, that's a good idea. I can borrow my friends DB2/PB2 to try it. and I'll see what I can do with battery tests.[/size]

I was going to suggest to you to borrow the DB2 because the SR 71b without the db2 cannot show it's full potential. In portable realm, the Solo-DB2-PB2/SR71b is still the top sounding setup to me. So thanks for doing that. Also you better start looking around for mini plug coax/toslink interconnect so you can link those pieces up. Please use coax not USB connection.

I am so glad you have the Piccolino/JH16 combo also. My all time favourite setup. Until I get my hands on my DX100, you are my vicarious DX100. If you need any help with interconnect, please pm me. Thank.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,813 of 2,799
If a respected member who has purchased the DX100 runs high impedance headphones from it playing lossless music files, without turning off the GUI and can demonstrate playback time(s) of more than 5 hours I'll eat my metaphorical hat and donate $30 to a charity of their choice.*

The DX100 may be a superlative DAP but the playback time is still paltry and a missed opportunity.

popcorn.gif

* Any takers?

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,814 of 2,799
I'll do a test when it arrives on Monday using HD800s.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,815 of 2,799

Quote:
I was going to suggest to you to borrow the DB2 because the SR 71b without the db2 cannot show it's full potential. In portable realm, the Solo-DB2-PB2/SR71b is still the top sounding setup to me. So thanks for doing that. Also you better start looking around for mini plug coax/toslink interconnect so you can link those pieces up. Please use coax not USB connection.
I am so glad you have the Piccolino/JH16 combo also. My all time favourite setup. Until I get my hands on my DX100, you are my vicarious DX100. If you need any help with interconnect, please pm me. Thank.

Just an FYI, but my O2 (even with batteries) beats the crap out of my Pelican with topkit.  Absolutely no comparison, the Pelican sounds like a toy.  I'll be using the JDS O2 with the DX100 for the ultimate portable setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back