iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #107 of 2,799
My maximum for this is 550 USD, if it is more I will even unsubscribe this thread... Do not think that iBasso will disappoint, because their prices are always reasonable (to me at least).

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #108 of 2,799
My maximum for this is 550 USD, if it is more I will even unsubscribe this thread... Do not think that iBasso will disappoint, because their prices are always reasonable (to me at least).

With the Sabre DAC, the (on paper) great amp and nice interface to boot, they could price this about the same as the HM801 and still sell a ton of them. Or they could price it just below the $600 mark and blow Cowon out of the water. Mind you, I'm a Cowon fanboy, but take a look at how they consistently find a way to screw up their players. My X7 for example: great sound, tons of space, battery lasts forever... So they slap on a screen from a PDA circa 2001 and give it a horrible gui. Every single player from them (exceptional maybe the J3) has some sort of almost suicidal cock-up. If the IBasso dx100 hits the street at $600 or below, Cowon stock prices would drop so fast that literally setting your shares on fire would be a slower way for them to lose value.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #109 of 2,799

Quote:
With the Sabre DAC, the (on paper) great amp and nice interface to boot, they could price this about the same as the HM801 and still sell a ton of them. Or they could price it just below the $600 mark and blow Cowon out of the water. Mind you, I'm a Cowon fanboy, but take a look at how they consistently find a way to screw up their players. My X7 for example: great sound, tons of space, battery lasts forever... So they slap on a screen from a PDA circa 2001 and give it a horrible gui. Every single player from them (exceptional maybe the J3) has some sort of almost suicidal ****-up. If the IBasso dx100 hits the street at $600 or below, Cowon stock prices would drop so fast that literally setting your shares on fire would be a slower way for them to lose value.

I know, you and other people are right about this price point. With 1000$ it would still sell very good. It is just, I hope it will not be that expensive, so I can enjoy the sweet sweet ES9018. The X7 was a disappointment, with Windows XP UI (I hope you get is :wink:). BUT, Cowon and iBasso are not in the same Market, so it will not really have an effect on the share price of Cowon. Cowons major market is S-Korea anyway, everything that is beyond that is just a plus. Additionally who on Head-Fi uses D3 + DAC combinations anyway. I tried with the Cowon V5 + iBasso D10. -> Cowon V5 music playing capability comes from HELL and it will rape the nerves while waiting for the next track.... FFFFUUUUUU

EDIT: Your signature is great. Found myself very often in such situations lately...

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #111 of 2,799

Quote:
I'm more worried about implementation of the DAC then the price or storage capacity. They definitely have a problem with Sabre otherwise they would not have to swap DACs in D7

The release date is in less than 45 days... (I hope) there should not be major problems at this point. qusp pointed to some challanges that arise when implementing the ES9018.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #112 of 2,799
and theres a lot more challenges than that, i was only covering problems powering it fro usb =) its worth the trouble though

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #113 of 2,799

Or perhaps they wanted to make the DX100 the standalone flagship, have exclusive stuff in, so if you want the Sabre you have to get it, rather than being able to get a D7  to use with other stuff. Just a thought.

Quote:
I'm more worried about implementation of the DAC then the price or storage capacity. They definitely have a problem with Sabre otherwise they would not have to swap DACs in D7

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #115 of 2,799
Count me subscribed, and keenly watching the developments.

Somnambulist-
Bet it'll make for a really powerful pairing for your eventual MG6Pro's, don'thca think? 

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #120 of 2,799

Quote:
An important point to me: does it do gap-less playback?

If it runs on Android, then I'm assuming there is a media player App that can do gapless. If not right now, I know Rockbox for Android is under development. If there is no Android, gapless I think is critical for many.

Quote:
with the thckness of this, i am more concerned about amp section and headphone-out than the actual dac chip... i am not gonna drag a separate amp with this dap.

I too am concerned about the size of it. If it's anywhere close to as thick as those pics make it seem, then I don't want to carry a separate amp with it either. Hopefully the amp is as good as other iBasso portable amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back