iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #11,986 of 13,503
I've ranted about Fink before on these boards, talking half the Heir owners into buying the brilliant "Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet" live album. Just before going on the tour where that album was recorded, Fink played a show in the Netherlands with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam, a fully fledged symphonic orchestra. Until now, this concert has only been available as an app for the iPad. I've been nagging Ninjatune as well as the band about releasing the concert as an album, and they have finally listened - it's up for preorder here!

Can't wait to hear this in lossless instead of the paltry youtube version!

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #11,988 of 13,503
I think Allnight is entitled to expect fully functional wifi. Mine is b0rked as well but I really don't want to bother sending it back to have it fixed again. A week without my DX100 is worse than a lifetime without wifi on my DX100 - I honestly never use it, so the only reason to have it fixed would be the resale value. 

You nailed it Soren...resale value. I've sent mine back twice...raised a huge stink and they gave me a brand new "tested" unit that's working flawlessly...for now. LOL

For the money we paid for these things... They damn well should work perfectly. Let me ask you this brother...would you tolerate the CD player in your brand new BMW not working...or would you bring it back to the dealer... I mean...it's not like we use the things anymore..

I think we as a consumer have become too tolerant of faulty equipment because of our personal quests to achieve auditory bliss. We "know" the DX100 is as good as it gets for portable, amped, and relative ease of use...but should we sacrifice one of many features because it performs its auditory job as it should?

Much love Soren! I'm only being a loud New Yorker...lol... Go figure.

As an aside... If the damn RWAK100 had an easier way of doing playlists it would get more of my air time. The way it is now... The ease of use AND sound of the DX100 wins...

Now if iBasso got their crap together with the DX50...they'll really slam the market.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #11,989 of 13,503
Quote:
Nice! A new Fink album. Going to get a copy since I'm one of those got to know them because you posted about them here
smily_headphones1.gif

Wondering if Ninjatunes would also offer an 24/96 flac version aside from wav
smily_headphones1.gif

They're a great band - if you ever get the chance to check them out live, be sure to do that! I remember the opening when I saw them here in Denmark:

Fin: "So so good to see you all, thanks a lot for coming on this lovely.... uhm.... evening."
[Tim, the drummer, leans over and whispers something to Fin]
Fin: "Wednesday?!? Awesome!"

Quote:
You nailed it Soren...resale value. I've sent mine back twice...raised a huge stink and they gave me a brand new "tested" unit that's working flawlessly...for now. LOL

For the money we paid for these things... They damn well should work perfectly. Let me ask you this brother...would you tolerate the CD player in your brand new BMW not working...or would you bring it back to the dealer... I mean...it's not like we use the things anymore..

I think we as a consumer have become too tolerant of faulty equipment because of our personal quests to achieve auditory bliss. We "know" the DX100 is as good as it gets for portable, amped, and relative ease of use...but should we sacrifice one of many features because it performs its auditory job as it should?

Much love Soren! I'm only being a loud New Yorker...lol... Go figure.

As an aside... If the damn RWAK100 had an easier way of doing playlists it would get more of my air time. The way it is now... The ease of use AND sound of the DX100 wins...

Now if iBasso got their crap together with the DX50...they'll really slam the market.

I still think the DX100 is the perfect balance of size/sound/usability and price but I can't take my eyes off that DX50, I'm REALLY looking forward to the first reviews.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #11,990 of 13,503
Hopefully Fink could come to the Philippines :wink:

Regarding OTG of the DX100 (got curious since the DX50 has this), I have back read but I'm still clueless. Did anyone able to use OTG with the DX100 and successfully play songs? Was thinking of getting a hub to store songs to add more storage to the dx100 :))

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #11,993 of 13,503
Just got the third replacecment. Leaving default launcher.

Wireless worked very fast and instantly. Great performance out of package.

Tested Bluetooth. Had to do 3-4 scans, but it did eventually recognize a Logitech UE Boombox Bluetooth speaker, and it worked!

I don't plan to charge it for more than 6-8 hours at a time. Also will keep device upright when charging, instead of laying down flat on its back.

Apps installed / updated:

Market to Play Store
ES File Explorer Update
----
App Update Notifier
App Installer (Allows .apk install from SD if needed)
Clean Master (Cleaner and Task Killer)
PlayerPro Music Player + DSP Pack (for MP3 / alt player / video [don't really plan to use])
Poweramp Music Player (for MP3)
Spectrum Analyzer 2 by vlk

One note about the default launcher is that the Music Player Widget on page 3 (center page) and the Media Widget on page 4 can be moved, but, they will revert back to page 3 and 4 when the device is rebooted, and any icons you put on page 3 and page 4 will be deleted.

Am perfectly happy if performance and condition stays as it is now. Hope this level of performance lasts.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #11,994 of 13,503
Quote:
Apps installed / updated:

App Update Notifier
App Installer (Allows .apk install from SD if needed)
Clean Master (Cleaner and Task Killer)
PlayerPro Music Player + DSP Pack (for MP3 / alt player / video [don't really plan to use])
Poweramp Music Player (for MP3)
Spectrum Analyzer 2 by vlk

I'm honestly curious as to why you have installed those?  
smile.gif

The Play store will notify you of updates, Android can handle APK from SD installs as it is, there is not much to clean or kill... I do understand how one could want a better player UI, but as I don't want to (even if it's just theoretically) miss out on any SQ, I've learned to deal with the stock player. 

Man, I wish Ibasso and PowerAmp would work together and truly unleash the potential of the DX100!

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #11,995 of 13,503
Quote:
I'm honestly curious as to why you have installed those?  
smile.gif

The Play store will notify you of updates, Android can handle APK from SD installs as it is, there is not much to clean or kill... I do understand how one could want a better player UI, but as I don't want to (even if it's just theoretically) miss out on any SQ, I've learned to deal with the stock player. 

Man, I wish Ibasso and PowerAmp would work together and truly unleash the potential of the DX100!

I was thinking similar thoughts.  I have not once had to kill any apps on my DX100, and any player but the default player is leaving SQ on the table.

There was talk a while ago that iBasso was going to release their API, I would LOVE to see Poweramp deliver all of the HiFi goodness that the DX100 promises.  But as of right this second, it won't.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #11,996 of 13,503
+1 to what Soren and nelamvr6 are saying...but I'll add this...

With the money that company is making off their Western sales alone they certainly have the capital to improve the custom Android interface. Hell, they could take the sales of a few units and hire someone off of XDA to make the thing better. 

But again...I've never had to "kill" processes or install any third party apps other than the Play Store. I did the whole new launcher thing but thought better of it after a few hangs. The last thing I want to do is f@ck up a unit that's finally working great!

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #11,999 of 13,503
Quote:
+1 on the API

Hopefully after the launch of the DX50, they could start perfecting the DX100 firmware again - DSD, manual media scanning etc.

Or get to work on that DX200 - using the DX50 UI on a full balanced version of the DX100. Oh man, I'd buy that! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back