iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #11,296 of 13,503
Quote:
The internal amp is good for a DAP, but there are quite a number of external amp which can make it sounds much better, depending on individual taste. Taste can also vary for the same person at different moments. I personally like to experiment with different IEMs and amp combinations and choice is import.

While there are many amps that may make it sound different, and I have many amps with the fi.Q I have, one of the best amps I have ever heard, I do not agree that they sound Much better. They are different and can add a different dimension but that doesn't always mean better, just different, IMO. As would be understood, it also depends upon what drivers you have. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #11,297 of 13,503
Quote:
While there are many amps that may make it sound different, and I have many amps with the fi.Q I have, one of the best amps I have ever heard, I do not agree that they sound Much better. They are different and can add a different dimension but that doesn't always mean better, just different, IMO. As would be understood, it also depends upon what drivers you have. 

Agreed. I have the Heir Rendition 1 and it's a great amp. Big difference? No. A subtle change of presentation that I happen to like. With the LCD2, it also added a bit of oomph.

For those of you pairing the DX100 with an amp, I very highly recommend "3M Dual Lock Low Profile" as an alternative to rubber bands (troublesome with the big touch screen) and ordinary velcro. 

I got mine off ebay, £4,50 for a meter of it. Which means I still have 0.9 meters left 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #11,298 of 13,503
Personally, with DX100,I like the combination with Emmeline Predator with Westone 4, and Emmeline Hornet sounds best with Ultrasone IQ and FAD Heaven VI. To me at least they sound much fuller and better with any of the three IEMs without the external amp.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #11,299 of 13,503
Quote:
Personally, with DX100,I like the combination with Emmeline Predator with Westone 4, and Emmeline Hornet sounds best with Ultrasone IQ and FAD Heaven VI. To me at least they sound much fuller and better with any of the three IEMs without the external amp.

I also enjoy using the RSA 71b or the Intruder to drive my LCD-2 and my ESW-10 sound very good with this combination. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #11,300 of 13,503
Quote:
Agreed. I have the Heir Rendition 1 and it's a great amp. Big difference? No. A subtle change of presentation that I happen to like. With the LCD2, it also added a bit of oomph.

For those of you pairing the DX100 with an amp, I very highly recommend "3M Dual Lock Low Profile" as an alternative to rubber bands (troublesome with the big touch screen) and ordinary velcro. 

I got mine off ebay, £4,50 for a meter of it. Which means I still have 0.9 meters left 
biggrin.gif

I had not seen that material before. I use velcro but will look into this. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #11,301 of 13,503
Quote:
I had not seen that material before. I use velcro but will look into this. 

Going from regular velcro to 3M Dual Lock Low Profile (Yes, you'll want the low profile version) is like going from ibuds to ciems. Sure, they perform the same basic task, but one does it so much better than the other that there will be no going back.

Edit: Hey 3M, I expect my check to be in the mail, okay? In all seriousness, it's great stuff, my rig feels like one solid brick, not two parts lumped together.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #11,303 of 13,503
I just downloaded Tommy in flac 24/96 from HDTracks and put in the music folder on the SD card. 

Now the middle screen is blank in advanced mode except for the icons at the very top and bottom of the screen. Neither the 'All Music' or the 'Now Playing List' icon work at all.  On the second screen the Music icon does nothing. I can navigate to the SD Card using the ES File Explorer. When I select one of the Tommy tracks using the Explorer it give me a list of options to open as of Movie, Audio, and several others.  I can select audio and play the track.  Oddly enough, the problem remains even when the SD card is removed.

There's a lot of other bizarre behavior, but the DX100 is pretty much rendered unusable.

After deleting the Tommy folder from the SD card everything works fine again.  Well almost everything, the Explorer won't let me navigate to Local storage. Even when Local is selected on the Change View screen the contents displayed are the SD card. Fortunatel the 'All Music' icon works and I am able to select Internal Memory from there.

I've searched the thread and it appears others have successfully played HDTracks material.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

O.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #11,304 of 13,503
I just downloaded Tommy in flac 24/96 from HDTracks and put in the music folder on the SD card. 

Now the middle screen is blank in advanced mode except for the icons at the very top and bottom of the screen. Neither the 'All Music' or the 'Now Playing List' icon work at all.  On the second screen the Music icon does nothing. I can navigate to the SD Card using the ES File Explorer. When I select one of the Tommy tracks using the Explorer it give me a list of options to open as of Movie, Audio, and several others.  I can select audio and play the track.  Oddly enough, the problem remains even when the SD card is removed.

There's a lot of other bizarre behavior, but the DX100 is pretty much rendered unusable.

After deleting the Tommy folder from the SD card everything works fine again.  Well almost everything, the Explorer won't let me navigate to Local storage. Even when Local is selected on the Change View screen the contents displayed are the SD card. Fortunatel the 'All Music' icon works and I am able to select Internal Memory from there.

I've searched the thread and it appears others have successfully played HDTracks material.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

O.

This happened to me this week. I put a massive .wav file (mike old field) on my dx, the same symptoms you describe occurred. I even did a factory reset but the problem was still there. I figured it must be havin a hard time indexing the new file. The media process was running which confirmed that. I just left it for ages, must have been 30 mins or so then it came good.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #11,305 of 13,503
Quote:
This happened to me this week. I put a massive .wav file (mike old field) on my dx, the same symptoms you describe occurred. I even did a factory reset but the problem was still there. I figured it must be havin a hard time indexing the new file. The media process was running which confirmed that. I just left it for ages, must have been 30 mins or so then it came good.

Thanks Turrican2, I'll give it a try.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #11,306 of 13,503
Yes, sometimes you have to let it start-up for some time with some large files with new music. Mine plays everything fine but some new files have taken a while to load.

-----------------

I got some of the 3M Dual Lock. I thought, maybe I could use this with the loop on my players. DON"T do IT! I thought I would never get is loose!! lol Then I thought, did it really grip that much. . . yes, . . I tried it again. DON"T do IT. The second time is as bad as the first! NO, I didn't try it a third time. . but it pulls at me to try again. I must be bored. Anyway, it looks to work, dual lock to dual lock only, no look of the velcro. I got the Command so I can take it off.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #11,307 of 13,503
Quote:

Thanks again Turrican2. I deleted the album, reloaded it, waited a bit, and all is fine.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #11,308 of 13,503
Quote:

I agree.  Different amps DO create a different sound, and, to me at least, that sound is significantly better when compared side by side with the stock amp in the DX100.  I use a RSA SR71A, with both my Heir 4.Ais (STILL waiting for my 5.0s to hip :frowning2: and my Beyer T1s.  It makes a HUGE difference with the Beyer T1s, which, while they CAN be driven by the DX100, sound small, definitely under-driven, and don't have a good soundstage.  The SR71A creates a much better soundsage and adds more emphasis to all the sound, with ANY cans I throw at it..

If you just picked up a DX100 and used it with its internal amp, and had not recently compared it to anything else then, yes, it would sound good.  It's when you try to drive difficult (e.g. high impedance) cans or when you KNOW that other amps can make it sound significantly better (or both) that you start using an external amp most of the time.  I have my SR71A attached with velcro and I never remove it.  As long as I'm carrying around a brick that can't easily slide into a pocket and requires the use of a belt AND suspenders (
wink.gif
), I don't care about adding an amp to the mix, not to get GREAT sound vs just good sound.  Why not get the best you can?

A few people have written recently about upgraded SR71Bs.  I do have a question for you guys (or anyone else who has used a 71A AND a 71B) - is there a noticeable sound difference between those 2 amps (when driving SE cans)?  I LOVE my SR71A.  As with every RSA amp I've owned (I've had 4 of them over the years), it sounds great, has a dead black background, a great sound signature, and a great soundstage.  I'm wondering how they sound side by side compared to each other.  I'm from Chicago, which is where Ray Samuels operates from.  The next time I'm home to visit family, I plan to go to his studio and have a listen to the SR71B with the DX100.  However, I'm getting that itch that might need to be scratched before then.  Any input is appreciated.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #11,309 of 13,503
Quote:
Going from regular velcro to 3M Dual Lock Low Profile (Yes, you'll want the low profile version) is like going from ibuds to ciems. Sure, they perform the same basic task, but one does it so much better than the other that there will be no going back.

Edit: Hey 3M, I expect my check to be in the mail, okay? In all seriousness, it's great stuff, my rig feels like one solid brick, not two parts lumped together.

I agree.  A DX100 and amp cost too much to trust anything but heavy duty velcro.  I use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Extreme-10-Feet-Titanium-91365/dp/B005756516/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366550039&sr=8-2&keywords=velcro+extreme.  It's not cheap, but it will hold a LOT of weight and the adhesive NEVER comes off (it's WAY overkill for this application, but I'd rather be safe).  When you are ready to remove this stuff, it also never leaves any adhesive behind.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #11,310 of 13,503
Quote:
I agree.  Different amps DO create a different sound, and, to me at least, that sound is significantly better when compared side by side with the stock amp in the DX100.  I use a RSA SR71A, with both my Heir 4.Ais (STILL waiting for my 5.0s to hip :frowning2: and my Beyer T1s.  It makes a HUGE difference with the Beyer T1s, which, while they CAN be driven by the DX100, sound small, definitely under-driven, and don't have a good soundstage.  The SR71A creates a much better soundsage and adds more emphasis to all the sound, with ANY cans I throw at it..

If you just picked up a DX100 and used it with its internal amp, and had not recently compared it to anything else then, yes, it would sound good.  It's when you try to drive difficult (e.g. high impedance) cans or when you KNOW that other amps can make it sound significantly better (or both) that you start using an external amp most of the time.  I have my SR71A attached with velcro and I never remove it.  As long as I'm carrying around a brick that can't easily slide into a pocket and requires the use of a belt AND suspenders (
wink.gif
), I don't care about adding an amp to the mix, not to get GREAT sound vs just good sound.  Why not get the best you can?

A few people have written recently about upgraded SR71Bs.  I do have a question for you guys (or anyone else who has used a 71A AND a 71B) - is there a noticeable sound difference between those 2 amps (when driving SE cans)?  I LOVE my SR71A.  As with every RSA amp I've owned (I've had 4 of them over the years), it sounds great, has a dead black background, a great sound signature, and a great soundstage.  I'm wondering how they sound side by side compared to each other.  I'm from Chicago, which is where Ray Samuels operates from.  The next time I'm home to visit family, I plan to go to his studio and have a listen to the SR71B with the DX100.  However, I'm getting that itch that might need to be scratched before then.  Any input is appreciated.

+1 for this guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back