iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #11,179 of 13,503
I agree with the previous comments. In my opinion there is a significant sonic difference between 1.2.7 and 1.3.7/1.3.5 and I find I much prefer 1.2.7 with my JH13

Not referring to sound quality, but stability, how does the 1.2.7 compares to 1.3.7 (or other)?

Mine keeps on randomly skipping during some track transitions. (FLAC and ALAC)

when you are listening to DSOTM or something similar, it's pretty much unforgivable :mad:

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #11,181 of 13,503
I enjoy the sound from my DX100 and Audeze LCD2, but now I’m ready to take it to the next level: I want to get a headphone amp and I could use a little help.

I’ve never had one before so I’m not sure the ones I should be checking out. I don’t need a portable amp;  I want a good quality, regular amp. But there’s several things I’m not sure about:

• Should I use the line out from the Dx100 into whatever amp I get? Or, should I get one with a DAC and go digital? How much could I gain by getting one with a DAC?
  • How much could I gain by getting a balanced amp and upgrading my LCD2 with balanced cables? With the DX100 as the source would balanced be worth the extra cost?
  • More and more of my music is 24-bit .wav or .flac files. And for now the DX100 is the only source I'll use the amp with. I don’t mind spending up to $1000 for it... but I don’t want to waste money by getting something way beyond the signol coming from the DX100. Solid state is probably my preference.

These are some of the ones I’ve read about on these forums. Which others should I be considering?
  1. Schiit ASGARD 2
  2. Schiit MJOLNIR
  3. Ray Samuels Emmeline II "The Raptor"
  4. Woo Audio WA6-SE
  5. Burson Conductor
  6. Burson Soloist

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #11,182 of 13,503
I enjoy the sound from my DX100 and Audeze LCD2, but now I’m ready to take it to the next level: I want to get a headphone amp and I could use a little help.

I’ve never had one before so I’m not sure the ones I should be checking out. I don’t need a portable amp;  I want a good quality, regular amp. But there’s several things I’m not sure about:

1. Should I use the line out from the Dx100 into whatever amp I get? Or, should I get one with a DAC and go digital? How much could I gain by getting one with a DAC?
  2. How much could I gain by getting a balanced amp and upgrading my LCD2 with balanced cables? With the DX100 as the source would balanced be worth the extra cost?
  3. More and more of my music is 24-bit .wav or .flac files. And for now the DX100 is the only source I'll use the amp with. I don’t mind spending up to $1000 for it... but I don’t want to waste money by getting something way beyond the signol coming from the DX100. Solid state is probably my preference.

These are some of the ones I’ve read about on these forums. Which others should I be considering?
  • Schiit ASGARD 2
  • Schiit MJOLNIR
  • Ray Samuels Emmeline II "The Raptor"
  • Woo Audio WA6-SE
  • Burson Conductor
  • Burson Soloist

I'd recommend auditioning the Icon Audio HP8 mk2

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #11,183 of 13,503
Quote:

• Should I use the line out from the Dx100 into whatever amp I get? Or, should I get one with a DAC and go digital? How much could I gain by getting one with a DAC?
  • How much could I gain by getting a balanced amp and upgrading my LCD2 with balanced cables? With the DX100 as the source would balanced be worth the extra cost?
  • More and more of my music is 24-bit .wav or .flac files. And for now the DX100 is the only source I'll use the amp with. I don’t mind spending up to $1000 for it... but I don’t want to waste money by getting something way beyond the signol coming from the DX100. Solid state is probably my preference.

1. Schiit ASGARD 2
  2. Schiit MJOLNIR
  3. Ray Samuels Emmeline II "The Raptor"
  4. Woo Audio WA6-SE
  5. Burson Conductor
  6. Burson Soloist

1. If you want to use line out from DX100, I think T1 is a good choice? since everyone seems to like that one. Also my personal recommendation: portaphile 627 which is a very powerful, very neutral amp which is a great step up from dx100's internal amp and brings the best out of LCD 2 for $600. If you want to get a separate DAC, it would costs you more than $1000 to make LCD 2 sounds better than what you have now, since DX100 is already a very good source. But it's definitely a option since dx100 can't be used as a USB dac.
2. I don't think (or know) dx100 has any balanced outputs, so I think you will need a balanced source for a balanced amp, and of course balanced cables.

Burson soloist and schiit mjolnir are good and two of the most famous amps for LCD 2. Woo Audio WA6SE isn't good with LCD 2 so you can skip that. Others I have no idea.

if you want more information on portable amps for dx100, go to this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-12-amps-reviewed-shonyun-306-added-10-03-12

It would be good too if someone teaches me how to connect dx100 to RCA inputs?

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #11,184 of 13,503
1. If you want to use line out from DX100, I think T1 is a good choice? since everyone seems to like that one. Also my personal recommendation: portaphile 627 which is a very powerful, very neutral amp which is a great step up from dx100's internal amp and brings the best out of LCD 2 for $600. If you want to get a separate DAC, it would costs you more than $1000 to make LCD 2 sounds better than what you have now, since DX100 is already a very good source. But it's definitely a option since dx100 can't be used as a USB dac.
2. I don't think (or know) dx100 has any balanced outputs, so I think you will need a balanced source for a balanced amp, and of course balanced cables.

Burson soloist and schiit mjolnir are good and two of the most famous amps for LCD 2. Woo Audio WA6SE isn't good with LCD 2 so you can skip that. Others I have no idea.

It would be good too if someone teaches me how to connect dx100 to RCA inputs?

The new portaphile 627X with longer battery is coming out soon. I believe the DX100 does have balanced connections. The T1 is a great choice

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #11,185 of 13,503
Quote:
The new portaphile 627X with longer battery is coming out soon. I believe the DX100 does have balanced connections. The T1 is a great choice

Thanks for that, I know nothing about balanced connections, which one is balanced output?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #11,187 of 13,503
Thanks for that, I know nothing about balanced connections, which one is balanced output?

I am not sure but I think you have several options:

1) Either you do DX100 LO > balanced amp > balanced cable > headphones and then you are not fully balanced as you do not have a balanced source, I think ?
2) You do DX100 optical / coax > balanced DAC > balanced amp > headphones and then you are full balanced but do not take advantage of the ibasso DAC

But I never tried and I do not know...

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #11,189 of 13,503
Strange because I was able to power the RE262 on its balanced cable through the DX100 and got audio on both sides...

Doesn't mean it was running balanced. It couldn't have been, as it'd need four signals when the DX100 3.5mm TRS headphone jack can only provide a maximum of three. Plus, the DX100 would have to be programmed to output two opposite left signals (positive and negative) and two opposite right signals. Even if you could program it to do that you'd be stuck with the physical TRS output limited to three contact points.

I've tried balanced and whilst it seems valid for long cable runs, at the short distances involved in portable audio it seems like a gimmick. Once properly volumed matched and blind tested, not a single difference was heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back