iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #9,767 of 13,503
Quote:
It may be a non-issue to make the changes on the PC.  However, the time it takes to re-copy all that music to the DX100 IS an issue, at least for me (remember, I'm the guy with the 128GB SDXC card that's now full :).  Also, not all types/versions of file tags support albumartist.  I've noticed that if you try to add albumartist to tag types that don't support it, Mp3tag will appear to update the tag, but not make any actual change.  It will, however, touch the file, changing the file modified update date so with most synchronization software the file gets re-copied even though no change was actually made.  Finally, albumartist is a very new tag field, in relation to album.  It is implemented differently (how it is read) in different players, and there's not even consistency in how it is written (some as "albumartist" and some as "album artist").  The "artist" tag is fairly universal and is used fairly consistently by tagging programs and players.

I agree with you...tags should "just work" (but on the DX, sadly, that's not really the case).  +1 for Nelamvr6's suggestion - user configurable.  However, I believe it should default to the way it is now (artist).  This would have the least user impact when upgrading firmware.

OK, let me hop off my soapbox now. 
rolleyes.gif

I think what you mean is by changing the tags and forgetting to save it. If you don't save the changes then yes. You can lose it and it will revert back or not apply what you have changed. I've had this happen before and that is why I save my changes to the tag in mp3tag. Same with trying to remove things from the tags. You have to save the changes for it to  apply :wink:.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9,768 of 13,503
Quote:
sorry.

ANd let me guess, you get your folders done by artist and contributing artist right? I have gone over this 10 fold, no other way. Specially like albums like Santana's Supernatural where each track has a different guest artist.

I try to even rip from Flac to MP3 without albumartist in the mix and i get a garbage heap of folders with Santana feat xxxx, Santana feat yyyy. unless you omit who actully did the tracks together but then that is missing information but it will be right from the folder structure. I want ALL the songs info not part.

that is the reason albumartist tag is there. To Say Santana did the album, the collaberations are just on a track basis but does not define the albumartist =) Also is a necessary item when dealing with Classical recordings. Albumartist will be the orchestra that is playing the orchestral works.

User configurable. Perhaps in the future. iBasso needs to crawl before they start doing user configurable items though..

I am not asking for a concensus. This is an issue as currently it does not even read that correct (Artist or albumartist). So it needs both.

Personally I just see the contributing artist tags as clutter. I always remove them as I don't care to have all that info. As long as I know the main artist of the actual album that is all that is necessary. Having anything more is generally moot and will end up having more compatibility issues and slow down other mp3 players. Not just the DX100.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #9,769 of 13,503
Quote:
Can someone post some links to the type memory card the unit uses so i can buy some. 64 gig please

thanks

1st page.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #9,770 of 13,503
Quote:
sorry.

ANd let me guess, you get your folders done by artist and contributing artist right? I have gone over this 10 fold, no other way. Specially like albums like Santana's Supernatural where each track has a different guest artist.

I try to even rip from Flac to MP3 without albumartist in the mix and i get a garbage heap of folders with Santana feat xxxx, Santana feat yyyy. unless you omit who actully did the tracks together but then that is missing information but it will be right from the folder structure. I want ALL the songs info not part.

that is the reason albumartist tag is there. To Say Santana did the album, the collaberations are just on a track basis but does not define the albumartist =) Also is a necessary item when dealing with Classical recordings. Albumartist will be the orchestra that is playing the orchestral works.

User configurable. Perhaps in the future. iBasso needs to crawl before they start doing user configurable items though..

I am not asking for a concensus. This is an issue as currently it does not even read that correct (Artist or albumartist). So it needs both.

I want you to have what works for you, but I also want what works for me.

To be fair, for the vast majority of albums out there (classical excepted), the album artist really is the artist, so this is really only an issue on a tiny minority of all the albums out there.

In the case that you cited, I handled it by including the featured collaborator in the track title.  That worked extremely well, no fuss, no muss.  I end up with "Smooth (Featuring Rob Thomas)", for example, and all is well.

Discussions on tagging can frequently border on the philosophical.  I insist that ALL of my FLACs have ReplayGain tags, both Album and Track.  There are those out there who are dead set against this.  There are those who tag first name, then last.  All of mine are last name, first name.

IMHO, there really are precious few "WRONG" ways to do it, so long as your system works for you, and you practice it consistently.

And I meant what I said, I really do appreciate all the work you're doing on our behalf, working with iBasso on the UI.

But if you are going to be in a position to convince iBasso to fundamentally change something like the sort order, it may be best to either a. DON'T Do It, or b. get a consensus.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #9,771 of 13,503
Quote:

I want you to have what works for you, but I also want what works for me.

To be fair, for the vast majority of albums out there (classical excepted), the album artist really is the artist, so this is really only an issue on a tiny minority of all the albums out there.

In the case that you cited, I handled it by including the featured collaborator in the track title.  That worked extremely well, no fuss, no muss.  I end up with "Smooth (Featuring Rob Thomas)", for example, and all is well.

Discussions on tagging can frequently border on the philosophical.  I insist that ALL of my FLACs have ReplayGain tags, both Album and Track.  There are those out there who are dead set against this.  There are those who tag first name, then last.  All of mine are last name, first name.

IMHO, there really are precious few "WRONG" ways to do it, so long as your system works for you, and you practice it consistently.

And I meant what I said, I really do appreciate all the work you're doing on our behalf, working with iBasso on the UI.

But if you are going to be in a position to convince iBasso to fundamentally change something like the sort order, it may be best to either a. DON'T Do It, or b. get a consensus.

RIght now sort order is done by the file name...I do not think Tags are read. I know for artist... the artist tag is read but there array is totally messed up.

I have two albums by different artist with the same title.

Cher - Believe
Justin Beiber - Believe.

The Justin "Believe" when selected sends me to Cher. Only way to go to Justin's album is through the directory listing. (Don't ask why I have those two albums lol).

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9,772 of 13,503
Quote:
RIght now sort order is done by the file name...I do not think Tags are read. I know for artist... the artist tag is read but there array is totally messed up.

Cher - Believe
Justin Beiber - Believe.

The Justin "Believe" when selected sends me to Cher. Only way to go to Justin's album is through the directory listing. (Don't ask why I have those two albums lol).

Well that is definitely wrong!

IMHO, things should be sorted in this order:

Artist
Album
Disc Number
Track Number

And in an ideal situation, the user could be able to change things, temporarily or permanently.

If there is no disc number tag, then that shouldn't affect things.

This seems very basic to me, I'm surprised that iBasso did things the way they did.  Or was it Rockchip?

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #9,773 of 13,503
Quote:

Cher - Believe
Justin Beiber - Believe.

Do you think you can get them to fix this figgie? But all my tags show up properly pretty much.. From album, artists, bit rate etc. So I think it is reading the tags. At least when you look from tag info it says it. Any news on the update? I'm getting a bit impatient lol. I want alphabetization, better battery (seems to drain by 2 hours faster than before). And of course the fade in.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #9,774 of 13,503
I'm eager to see the corrections, but I'm content to wait if it means they get more bugs fixed...

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #9,776 of 13,503
No, you get exactly the same sound but it takes up about 5-6 times as much disc space. This would be the same as scaling a picture by 200%, you get a bigger picture but no more information

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #9,777 of 13,503
Quote:

Well that is definitely wrong!

IMHO, things should be sorted in this order:

Artist
Album
Disc Number
Track Number

And in an ideal situation, the user could be able to change things, temporarily or permanently.

If there is no disc number tag, then that shouldn't affect things.

This seems very basic to me, I'm surprised that iBasso did things the way they did.  Or was it Rockchip?

I'm not quite sure what you mean to sort in that order (the disc number then track number I get).  Don't you select to browse by either artist or album?  (I own a DX100 and that's how I select music to play)  If so, doesn't figgie just want to add the option to browse by album artist (browse by artist can remain)?  I can see in my own situation a problem occurring with compilation albums such as "Dark Was The Night".  I might want that to come up under a "Compilation" artist, or "Various" artist, or "Dark Was The Night" as the artist, but all the tracks to have the artist individually in each track.  Therefore if I go into Dirty Projectors artist browse for example, their "Dark Was The Night" track will also be there, but if I want to listen to the whole "Dark Was The Night" compilation, I can do that through the "Album Artist" browse.

Ideally, you would have the option to browse (again I'm not sure in which case you use sorting, apart from within an album the tracks should be sorted by track number rather than track title alphabetically if there are no track numbers preceding the track names) by both artist and album artist, AND when browsing by album artist, if the album artist tag is blank, it then reverts to the artist tag.  That way, no retagging is required.

Anyone interested in http://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm ?  I stumbled onto it trying to find an application that could do an accuraterip comparison on previously ripped tracks (eg I started ripping my CD collection using iTunes before moving to EAC and dBpoweramp).  It looks like it will also soon support tags, and will add album art.  Not sure if it embeds album art or adds a cover.jpg.  Who prefers embedded album art vs cover.jpg?  Any preference particularly with regards to the DX100?

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9,778 of 13,503
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean to sort in that order (the disc number then track number I get).  Don't you select to browse by either artist or album?  (I own a DX100 and that's how I select music to play)  If so, doesn't figgie just want to add the option to browse by album artist (browse by artist can remain)?  I can see in my own situation a problem occurring with compilation albums such as "Dark Was The Night".  I might want that to come up under a "Compilation" artist, or "Various" artist, or "Dark Was The Night" as the artist, but all the tracks to have the artist individually in each track.  Therefore if I go into Dirty Projectors artist browse for example, their "Dark Was The Night" track will also be there, but if I want to listen to the whole "Dark Was The Night" compilation, I can do that through the "Album Artist" browse.

Ideally, you would have the option to browse (again I'm not sure in which case you use sorting, apart from within an album the tracks should be sorted by track number rather than track title alphabetically if there are no track numbers preceding the track names) by both artist and album artist, AND when browsing by album artist, if the album artist tag is blank, it then reverts to the artist tag.  That way, no retagging is required.

Anyone interested in http://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm ?  I stumbled onto it trying to find an application that could do an accuraterip comparison on previously ripped tracks (eg I started ripping my CD collection using iTunes before moving to EAC and dBpoweramp).  It looks like it will also soon support tags, and will add album art.  Not sure if it embeds album art or adds a cover.jpg.  Who prefers embedded album art vs cover.jpg?  Any preference particularly with regards to the DX100?

Well, just as the  Discnumber may not be present in a file, so the Albumartist tag may not be present.  And so long as this doesn't make the software puke (I've seen stranger things) then that should be OK.

So perhaps a better order would be:

Albumartist
Artist
Album
Discnumber
Tracknumber

This way those who use the Albumartist tag will be happy, and those who don't can still be happy also.  If the albumartist tag isn't there, the sort would move on to the next tag, that being artist.  In cases where you're not dealing with a compilation, then theoretically the albumartist and artist tags should be identical.

What Figgie initially proposed was to simply eliminate the artist sort in favor of the albumartist sort.  That wouldn't work for a significant number of people.

And as previously mentioned, having these choices be user configurable would be the ideal situation.

Personally, I deal with the situation you described by using "Various Artists" as the artist tag, then specifying the artist for each track within the track title tag.  It's not perfect, but it works.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #9,779 of 13,503
Quote:

Well, just as the  Discnumber may not be present in a file, so the Albumartist tag may not be present.  And so long as this doesn't make the software puke (I've seen stranger things) then that should be OK.

So perhaps a better order would be:

Albumartist
Artist
Album
Discnumber
Tracknumber

This way those who use the Albumartist tag will be happy, and those who don't can still be happy also.  If the albumartist tag isn't there, the sort would move on to the next tag, that being artist.  In cases where you're not dealing with a compilation, then theoretically the albumartist and artist tags should be identical.

What Figgie initially proposed was to simply eliminate the artist sort in favor of the albumartist sort.  That wouldn't work for a significant number of people.

And as previously mentioned, having these choices be user configurable would be the ideal situation.

Personally, I deal with the situation you described by using "Various Artists" as the artist tag, then specifying the artist for each track within the track title tag.  It's not perfect, but it works.

Yep i agree with you on this because  Artists is listed higher up on mp3 tag and is always used by default when using mp3tag to tag your music. Adding the Album Artist tag is actually extra and to be honest I don't really think it is necessary but I do it still. Not much sweat off my back so I have em both. But I remove stuff like comments, disc number etc. I like to keep everything squeaky clean :p.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #9,780 of 13,503
Quote:
Yep i agree with you on this because  Artists is listed higher up on mp3 tag and is always used by default when using mp3tag to tag your music. Adding the Album Artist tag is actually extra and to be honest I don't really think it is necessary but I do it still. Not much sweat off my back so I have em both. But I remove stuff like comments, disc number etc. I like to keep everything squeaky clean :p.

I like to keep my tags clean as well, but I do occasionally need the discnumber tag, on albums or box sets with more than one disc.

I use the following naming convention:

<artist> - <album> - T<tracknumber> - <title>.flac

This works quite well, but on multi-disc albums I use:

<artist> - <album> - D<discnumber>T<tracknumber> - <title>.flac

I've been using this for many years and have had no problems to date.

But I can understand how classical music aficionados have a much harder time of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back