iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #7,202 of 13,503
Anyone have any problems with the firmware update?

Mine installed really quickly - like 2 - 3 minutes then came up with the Installation complete, rebooting message but it doesn't seem to be rebooting.

It's still coming up with the blue lightning thing every couple of minutes but that's all.  Don't want to manually restart it if it's actually doing something, but appears to be dormant.  I only had about 55 megs of free space after copying the .img file across so don't know if that stopped it from installing properly, but didn't report an error.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #7,203 of 13,503
Quote:
Anyone have any problems with the firmware update?

Mine installed really quickly - like 2 - 3 minutes then came up with the Installation complete, rebooting message but it doesn't seem to be rebooting.

It's still coming up with the blue lightning thing every couple of minutes but that's all.  Don't want to manually restart it if it's actually doing something, but appears to be dormant.  I only had about 55 megs of free space after copying the .img file across so don't know if that stopped it from installing properly, but didn't report an error.

I think you need to free up more space than that. At least leave 200 mbs of free space excluding the size of the firmware copied over. It probably errored due to exactly that.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #7,204 of 13,503
Deleted an artist - just over a gig and tried again (it did reboot back to 1.1.7).  Reinstalled fine and said it was rebooting but still looks dormant for now - I'll leave it and see what happens.  I seem to have a very special unit!!!  I have the factory reset software from a couple of weeks back so I'll try that if necessary.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #7,205 of 13,503
Well I just reverted back to the stock firmware. Strangely enough until I did a factory reset it still had the settings of the newer firmware (including the sound). So I am curious if I was to update and not do a factory reset if it would keep the sound intact from the previous firmware and maybe the benefits of the newer one... I'm wondering if this could be why no one else is noticing the difference in sound. Well I'll give it a try for ****s-and-giggles :wink:.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #7,206 of 13,503
Quote:
Deleted an artist - just over a gig and tried again (it did reboot back to 1.1.7).  Reinstalled fine and said it was rebooting but still looks dormant for now - I'll leave it and see what happens.  I seem to have a very special unit!!!  I have the factory reset software from a couple of weeks back so I'll try that if necessary.

OK, consistently failed to update and was wary of using the factory reset software in case the image didn't install and I bricked the device.  I downloaded the firmware again because it occurred to me that I must have been one of the first to dowload it last evening and was wondering if the file had been updated.  Sure enough the uncompressed file this morning was larger than last night's (240.6 vs 239.8 megs).

Installed that and it reboted to 1.2.3 so it looks as though the first download file provided by iBasso was wrong.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #7,207 of 13,503
Can you post your impressions of the sound in comparison to the former firmware. IMO the previous firmware is superior in sound quality. I'm trying to see if I can manage to keep the sound and still update as the device appears to keep some of the old settings until you do a factory restore.

Yes guys I think that explains it all. As long as you don't do a factory reset after the update your sound signature should remain the same. If you guys wanna test this out and confirm with me do a factory restore once and see how the sound has changed :wink:.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #7,208 of 13,503
Quote:
Can you post your impressions of the sound in comparison to the former firmware. IMO the previous firmware is superior in sound quality. I'm trying to see if I can manage to keep the sound and still update as the device appears to keep some of the old settings until you do a factory restore.

I am listening to a lot of power metal so it's bass forward anyway, have been listening with EQ off and low gain.  Very initial impressions are that the bass is a little more forward, but not unpleasantly so for my listening.  I don't find it muddy, just slightly more forward in the mix.  Turning the EQ on to the rock setting that I has was awful, very muffled sound, neutral was better, but off is still best for me.

I'm not noticing any difference in mids and highs, sound stage seems just as large and if I had to choose between the two then I would say that I slightly prefer this - but again I am a listener of a lot of bass anyway.

I have a JH3a / JH16s on order with some custom Whiplash cables that are hybrid Twag / Twcu to emphasise the bass and that may make the bass a little too much with this mix, but can only speculate until it actually turns up.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7,209 of 13,503
Quote:

I am listening to a lot of power metal so it's bass forward anyway, have been listening with EQ off and low gain.  Very initial impressions are that the bass is a little more forward, but not unpleasantly so for my listening.  I don't find it muddy, just slightly more forward in the mix.  Turning the EQ on to the rock setting that I has was awful, very muffled sound, neutral was better, but off is still best for me.

I'm not noticing any difference in mids and highs, sound stage seems just as large and if I had to choose between the two then I would say that I slightly prefer this - but again I am a listener of a lot of bass anyway.

I have a JH3a / JH16s on order with some custom Whiplash cables that are hybrid Twag / Twcu to emphasis the bass and that may make the bass a little too much with this mix, but can only speculate until it actually turns up.

Did you do a factory restore after installing the firmware? If not the sound should be the same from 1.1.7. Would be cool if you could do this test and confirm it as well. On initial installation I immediately did a factory reset before loading the player again which changed the sound signature for the worse and also changed the background screen.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7,210 of 13,503
it seems that the nasty fade-in during playback is gone... but it replaced with something like a 5-second pause before the song kicks in.

also, "all music" tab scroll ALOT smoother now... before it was like already smooth... now its close to a galaxy s2... other tabs.. not much, it still chops.

any sound differences during the update? didnt hear any difference.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #7,212 of 13,503
Quote:
Engineers are expensive. Every hour an engineer spends working on a product will be added to the final cost of that product. For Ibasso to sell the DX100 at $829 they had to choose where to spend their budget: Sound quality or software. I think they made the right call. 

It all depends on what type of contract they have with RockChip.

Very doubtful it was a time & material contract. Or in other words, very doubtful that the firmware is coming from iBasso. :wink:

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #7,214 of 13,503
Quote:
it seems that the nasty fade-in during playback is gone... but it replaced with something like a 5-second pause before the song kicks in.

also, "all music" tab scroll ALOT smoother now... before it was like already smooth... now its close to a galaxy s2... other tabs.. not much, it still chops.

any sound differences during the update? didnt hear any difference.

Did you do a factory reset after installing the firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back