iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #7,157 of 13,503
Quote:
Ibasso are dragging their heels with the next update, they told me it would be out last week!...so it's gotta be anytime soon, this update will fix the poweramp issue apparently!

After figuring out how to get my artwork and have the tracks play in order I see absolutely no reason for me to use PowerAmp on the DX100... 

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #7,158 of 13,503
Quote:
After figuring out how to get my artwork and have the tracks play in order I see absolutely no reason for me to use PowerAmp on the DX100... 

You never know maybe the sound has been improved on PowerAmp as well. To be honest the DX100 would be in ipod UI territory if it had the exact shell of PowerAmp. It would make the player perfect IMO.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #7,159 of 13,503
Quote:
You never know maybe the sound has been improved on PowerAmp as well. To be honest the DX100 would be in ipod UI territory if it had the exact shell of PowerAmp. It would make the player perfect IMO.

Agreed. But the Ibasso player's GUI is good enough and the sound is stellar. Should they partner with the maker of PowerAmp I would certainly applaud it, but to me it's not much of an issue really. Maybe the DX200 will feature a better screen and the GUI to go with it, so people can go back to bashing the battery life/physical size/lack of hardware buttons/processing power/inability to make proper coffee etc.

Meanwhile, I'll be sitting quietly in the corner with my DX100 and Heir 8.A, smiling ear-to-ear enjoying the music, while giving a very circular number of fcuks about their spec sheet battle.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #7,160 of 13,503
Yeah it's honestly not bad where I don't want to use it TBH. What I'm saying though is for the potential for this product to have an even bigger market appeal. I also don't care about the specs in the end, as long as it sounds good these ears :p. Although it would be really cool to have the battery life of the Studio V. That would just make me more spoiled and lazy :wink:.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #7,161 of 13,503
Quote:
Yeah it's honestly not bad where I don't want to use it TBH. What I'm saying though is for the potential for this product to have an even bigger market appeal. I also don't care about the specs in the end, as long as it sounds good these ears :wink:.

Well the UI surely leaves room for improvement, no argument here. The trick is to stop comparing it to mainstream, mediocre players like the iPod (That look good) and start comparing it to the audiophile players from HifiMAN and Colorfly. Then the DX100 suddenly looks AMAZING! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #7,162 of 13,503
Well if someone would love to send me over their HIfiman 901 or Colorfly for demo purposes then I'm all ears :wink:. I agree though. The UI is better than my previous audiophile DAPs (SLOW II, Hifiman 601).

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #7,163 of 13,503
This may be a dumb question, but as I have never used Poweramp.......

What's so great about it.  I get that the UI is more user friendly, but doesn't it lack the support for the high quality files that allow the DX100 to shine?   I don't want to have a player app on my DX100 that can't handle a bunch of my music.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #7,164 of 13,503
Well Roffensian I rarely use 24/96/192 files on my Player so its not a big deal to me. It does sound nice though but not so realistic for portable usage (although I do have a card with some high res music on it). The DX100 still shines with 16/44 which is 99.9% of what I am using the unit for.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #7,165 of 13,503
Quote:
This may be a dumb question, but as I have never used Poweramp.......

What's so great about it.  I get that the UI is more user friendly, but doesn't it lack the support for the high quality files that allow the DX100 to shine?   I don't want to have a player app on my DX100 that can't handle a bunch of my music.

That's it. There isn't any more to it. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #7,166 of 13,503
That's it. There isn't any more to it. 

I don't get it either if that's all there is to poweramp. The stock player does it all...you can view directories, artists albums etc..and gives you all the track info. It would be nice to have the album art with FLACs. More importantly being able to pause without having to wake up the screen ...maybe with the on/off Button pushed briefly. It would also be nice if Turning it off was simpler eg holding the on./off button for 5 secs would initiate the shutdown process.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #7,167 of 13,503
Quote:
I don't get it either if that's all there is to poweramp. The stock player does it all...you can view directories, artists albums etc..and gives you all the track info. It would be nice to have the album art with FLACs. More importantly being able to pause without having to wake up the screen ...maybe with the on/off Button pushed briefly. It would also be nice if Turning it off was simpler eg holding the on./off button for 5 secs would initiate the shutdown process.

That is the thing

sound is one ting.

User experience is the primary item for an Consumer device as that is the FIRST thing any buyer sees. Regardless if it is the best sounding thing in this known universe.

For the price, that UI should be spit polished great. Not lacking or broke regardless of how utter crap the UI is for the competiton. Broken is broken.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #7,168 of 13,503
Yep and the DX100 is not broken. Works and functions great for me. I want a album I got it. Art I have it. No blips, blunders or malfunctions. Easy to use now and while I had PowerAmp, I see no reason for it now, nor do I have a desire for it. I also don't see why iBasso should have to make room for it since it is not part of the DX100 and the DX operates fine. Options are nice but just like my Canon 5DII or Leica M9, I don't need someone else's operating system on it. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #7,169 of 13,503
I think that's one of the points of the Android operating system is that it can provide a multitude of options for app devleopers to shine. Think out of the box and create slicker more user friendly UI's and to be able to change with the changing marketplace including higher rez files as they become more available or newer codecs. Bring them on and let's have a listen!
o2smile.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #7,170 of 13,503

Stock player +1 and also the only App I have is ArtGrabber that allows me to add art to my FLACs at the time of loading music on to my DX100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back