iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #6,781 of 13,503
Quote:
a short note. Got mine on Thursday.

Sound = awesome, i'll give it that, even with my LCD2's / JH16s

software / function / battery life / EXT...EXT...EXT = HORRIDLY BROKEN, I mean What

There are so many unexceptable issues with the software. Simple things. Major lag, freezes, bugs that stop it from functioning. Being able to play in track order! from an album... seriously What (that's a requirement for me, and a simple fix), its as simple as making a track order play option instead of "date created" being the default and NO OPTION to change. This software is ridiculous. So many bugs that are unacceptable. 900 dollar beta testing?!?

If it wasn't for the upgraded sound it would have been returned immediately. Instead I'll just wait a few days. No one should pay 850 - 900 dollars for less then beta software on a brick.

I don't understand how I got duped into buying this thinking the issues would be handled. I wrote them... no response. Surprise. They aren't too speedy on returns.

/Rant Over

Whilst I can understand the frustrations, if I ever have to make a purchase over a certain amount I always tend to do the research before making the purchase.  Granted someone paying 900 dollars (thats around £500 where I am) should not expect to have to be unpaid beta testers for the price as well.  A quick check of google with the phrase "ibasso dx100" brings up many links to headfi (no surprise there!)so it wasn't like there were unknown issues before hand. 

Anyway good luck getting it sorted.

Theres a reason ipods are popular you know, they just work (and I b***y hate itunes, even on a mac!).

Cheers

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #6,782 of 13,503
Quote:
Surfer

I have seen this issue before an it is related to very very specific devices (an issue with OS, BIOS that make a perfect storm).

The issue you describe looks like the OS is only allowing capitalization of the first letters and then will automatically lowercase anything preceeding it until the next "space" is encountered. It usually is an OS issue on how it is reading the text stream on input.

in short.

If you were to change your artist name to

SOUL II SOUL

Your particular DX100 would make it... Soul Ii Soul. I have the upgrade image/Firmware of the DX100 and trying to see if I can run it under the android SDK. But right now it looks like it is a very isolated incident which means probably a BIOS issue on your unit.

Oh brillient, and thanks for all your help, finally looks like we might get to the bottom of this.

I have forwarded more tracks to Ibasso, who have failed so far to replicate my issue.

As previously advised this problem also happens on Albums, as well as Artists, so Madonna's new album MDNA shows up as Mdna on my DX100.

If you need the links to other .flac files just let me know and i will post them.

Thanks again for your efforts

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #6,783 of 13,503
Quote:

software / function / battery life / EXT...EXT...EXT = HORRIDLY BROKEN, I mean What

There are so many unexceptable issues with the software. Simple things. Major lag, freezes, bugs that stop it from functioning. Being able to play in track order! from an album... seriously What (that's a requirement for me, and a simple fix), its as simple as making a track order play option instead of "date created" being the default and NO OPTION to change. This software is ridiculous. So many bugs that are unacceptable. 900 dollar beta testing?!?

If it wasn't for the upgraded sound it would have been returned immediately. Instead I'll just wait a few days. No one should pay 850 - 900 dollars for less then beta software on a brick.

I don't understand how I got duped into buying this thinking the issues would be handled. I wrote them... no response. Surprise. They aren't too speedy on returns.

/Rant Over

I have no issues. My albums work correctly, being FLAC, WAV or Apple lossless, battery life around 8.5 hours, which was known and advertised, and no lock-ups. Having said this, it doesn't mean you aren't having issues. I find that when new music is loaded from a SD card or internally, the DX needs to develop the file for the albums and this takes a little while, at first, and the player needs to do this work. After that, I find it works fast and efficiently. I can take out a SD card and insert a new one and normally, in about 1 or 2 minutes, normally just over 1, all is good and ready to go. I haven't had one freeze or problem with the new firmware and I have 2 64gb cards and 4 32gb cards as well as having the DX filled. I also use everything from 16/44 to 24/192. I hope things get better. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #6,784 of 13,503

/Rant Over

I'd love to see you review the Colorfly C4 or the HifiMAN HM801.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #6,785 of 13,503
I have no issues. My albums work correctly, being FLAC, WAV or Apple lossless, battery life around 8.5 hours, which was known and advertised, and no lock-ups. Having said this, it doesn't mean you aren't having issues. I find that when new music is loaded from a SD card or internally, the DX needs to develop the file for the albums and this takes a little while, at first, and the player needs to do this work. After that, I find it works fast and efficiently. I can take out a SD card and insert a new one and normally, in about 1 or 2 minutes, normally just over 1, all is good and ready to go. I haven't had one freeze or problem with the new firmware and I have 2 64gb cards and 4 32gb cards as well as having the DX filled. I also use everything from 16/44 to 24/192. I hope things get better. 

+1

Although I am using only .wav files and no external card presently, I have had no issues at all since 1.1.7. UI response is very fast, almost immediate. No hangups, crashes or playback issues at all. IMO, the UI is now very intuitive and user-friendly.

Battery life is still running around 8.5 hours for me.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #6,786 of 13,503
So are you guys saying all your tracks play in order? Because I looked at the way that the software is written and it sorts tracks by date created and not track number, or even an option to. I know quite a number or musicians who order their songs on an album in an order for a reason. Intro is supposed to be an intro, not track 11.

So either 1.1.7 is a different OS then you are running or I'm on a different planet. Also I just used mine for 3.5 hours and went from 90% to 27%. Which in all honesty could be a poor battery estimation. Also I have not been able I get any other software to run on this one. Fails every time.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6,787 of 13,503
Quote:
So are you guys saying all your tracks play in order? Because I looked at the way that the software is written and it sorts tracks by date created and not track number, or even an option to. I know quite a number or musicians who order their songs on an album in an order for a reason. Intro is supposed to be an intro, not track 11.
So either 1.1.7 is a different OS then you are running or I'm on a different planet. Also I just used mine for 3.5 hours and went from 90% to 27%. Which in all honesty could be a poor battery estimation. Also I have not been able I get any other software to run on this one. Fails every time.

There are a few albums songs not in order but most all are. I would contact iBasso about the date issue and discuss it with them. 

I get 8.5 hours or so run time. I don't run any other software as I don't need any but I know that PowrAmp doesn't work now but is supposed to with the next firmware update. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #6,788 of 13,503
Quote:
Oh brillient, and thanks for all your help, finally looks like we might get to the bottom of this.

I have forwarded more tracks to Ibasso, who have failed so far to replicate my issue.

As previously advised this problem also happens on Albums, as well as Artists, so Madonna's new album MDNA shows up as Mdna on my DX100.

If you need the links to other .flac files just let me know and i will post them.

Surfer

I don't need the FLAC files.

But if you can export the metadata for the offending files in plain text that would be great. (Post them here for all to see, more eyes = more probability of finding a solution or at least heading down the correct eyes). Who knows, maybe you might get the attention of the XDA "developers" :wink:

***Preface: I am not a developer but I do reverse engineer of code to understand how Java (or any other program) works. These are best guesses based on your symptoms. With that said, without access to the build, it is a guess and nothing else.***

It happening on albums (Folders),  music (Files) or metadata (internal content) means for your particular case, it is a systematic global text read stream problem.  I am currently narrowing down where... Looks like it is tied to the Formatter (Java.Util.Formatter) but have to dig in some more. By default it supports literal, lower case and upper case. I see no mention of it supporting out-of-box for capitalization of first letter and lower case the rest.... still digging.

Also, what happens when you put ALL the letter lower case? Does it capitalize the first letter regardless?

By chance,

do you know what your locale is set to (I know 2.3 supports locality)?

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #6,789 of 13,503

All of my album titles show up exactly as they were shown on the CDDB lookup when ripped. The artists also display upper and lower case letters properly.

Sometimes there are a couple of tracks misplaced from the sequence of the CD, but never is a complete reversal or mixup of tracks. I think it happens when the number of tracks reaches 10 or more.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #6,790 of 13,503
Quote:
All of my album titles show up exactly as they were shown on the CDDB lookup when ripped. The artists also display upper and lower case letters properly.
Sometimes there are a couple of tracks misplaced from the sequence of the CD, but never is a complete reversal or mixup of tracks. I think it happens when the number of tracks reaches 10 or more.

But are you exhibiting the SAME captilization of the first letter or no?

If not then it is not the same issue. Again, it seems surfer is an isolated incident which makes it even more odd because this is usually tied to the input string reader of android.

The read file issues that you all have been complaining on startup. That is a mistake I seen done by lots of people in coding (from C, C++, C#, php etc) especially when first starting out.

From a programming perspective,

Instead of reading 1 directory.. they tend to read the entire directory plus every single sub directory and the contents within the subdirectory right at power on. This might help with speed after the first load but that first load is the most painful. Usually it wiser to read on open instead of caching since instead of reading 5000+ files, you might be reading (if assuming a folder structure by artist, name of album under artist and then the music under the album) 500 folders, 4-10 folders under the artist and then 30 files under the album. Lots quicker unless the CPU is SLLLOOOWWW. Of course that is my view :wink:

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #6,791 of 13,503
Does any one know what the base memory for the DX100 is?

No I am not talking the 64GB onboard... that is in addition to the system memory.

Is it 512MB? 1GB? 2GB???? Anyone can take a system/task manager screen shot?

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6,792 of 13,503
That's because the flac files are generally create IN order but if a smaller one finishes before another then it puts it there. My point being the software doesn't use track numbers at all. It guesses based on the time and date created. That's not a bug, it's a lack of effort.

Having over 1tb of music it would be impossible to fix on my end. To date I have yet to see any company skip such a major step in music player software. It's frustrating

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #6,793 of 13,503
Quote:
That's because the flac files are generally create IN order but if a smaller one finishes before another then it puts it there. My point being the software doesn't use track numbers at all. It guesses based on the time and date created. That's not a bug, it's a lack of effort.
Having over 1tb of music it would be impossible to fix on my end. To date I have yet to see any company skip such a major step in music player software. It's frustrating

Well it depends.

I run an Intel i7-920 at 3.8Ghz. All cores active. Since multi threading is active it usually is a mince of files created in all manner of time order and not FIFO (First in, First Out).

I always create music files with the following,

FLAC/Living Colour/Vivid/01. Cult of Personality.FLAC
MP3_320/Living Colour/Vivid/01. Cult of Personality.MP3
WMA_LOSSLESS/Living Colour/Vivid/01. Cult of Personality.WMA

Do you mean to tell me the DX100 OS does not use the track numbers in either the file name OR the metadata for ordering?? That is absolutely insane and terribly broken. lack of effort is correct. But that is another reason I am asking about the base RAM of the device. At 512MB, it really needs careful memory management especially when dealing with in the 24/48khz and above audio resolutions. Hell might even run into issues with 16/44khz if memory is being taxed. Gingerbread is a good OS but any programmer will tell you (the same motto applies to audio). Garbage In, Garbage out....

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6,794 of 13,503
But are you exhibiting the SAME captilization of the first letter or no?

......................................................................................................snip......................................................................................................................................

No, I am not exhibiting the same capitalization of the first letter; some of my CD album titles have beginning caps, some have all caps and some have all lower case. All are displayed exactly as shown by the CDDB when viewing the ALBUM folders on my DX100.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6,795 of 13,503
Quote:

Do you mean to tell me the DX100 OS does not use the track numbers in either the file name OR the metadata for ordering?? That is absolutely insane and terribly broken. lack of effort is correct. But that is another reason I am asking about the base RAM of the device. At 512MB, it really needs careful memory management especially when dealing with in the 24/48khz and above audio resolutions. Hell might even run into issues with 16/44khz if memory is being taxed. Gingerbread is a good OS but any programmer will tell you (the same motto applies to audio). Garbage In, Garbage out....

That is exactly my situation.

I am always having tracks show / play in reverse order, and albums within an artist in reverse alphabetical.  flac, mp3, wma, whatever are all the same.  However, the tracks show correctly (and play correctly) if you use the albums option on the menu where Directory is (rather than in the usual music menu).  I advised iBasso who told me to upgrade to 1.1.7.  I pointed out that it shipped from the factory with 1.1.7 (4th batch) and no further response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back