iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6,766 of 13,503
I think what I had in mind was similar to why Etymotic offers both P and S versions of the ER4 each with a different impedance. The gain switch on anything but high will put a resistor between the amp and the headphones or IEMs, effectively changing the impedance of the amp or the headphones as I understand it, which might affect the overall frequency response, depending on the headphones or IEMs in question. It's a tricky thing to be sure of the effects of by ear, as it changes the volume as well. I've thought of measuring the effects out of curiosity, but the only equipment here I have with a low enough noise floor requires special adapters for single-ended input.

The gain switch does vary the voltage feedback by different value resistors, but I believe in the DX100, these resistors are not in series with the headphone output, so the output impedance should remain unchanged regardless of the gain setting. I will confirm this with iBasso just to be certain.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6,767 of 13,503
I use EAC but not sure if it is compatible with Mac. Getting it set up was a bit of a pain at first (it even put me off from installing it initially) but following directions made it pretty simple and a one time process. I use it on the fly with FLAC Frontend.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6,770 of 13,503
Quote:
Well, as best I can describe the pairing, it is about as close to being there live as is possible! It is much like a superb home system with a quality subwoofer, but one that never overshadows the midbass. Many things such as applause, thunder, etc. sound almost holographic. I have a couple of excellent binaural recordings plus some that I have made and they make you want to turn around and look behind you!
I have not, as yet, experimented with any of the EQ options, but have been just running the EQ centered on all bands.
So far, using only the DX100 output, the MG6Pro sounds better than any of my other IEM's or phones. As far as universals, the Sony EX800ST sounds really fine.

I am new to binaural recordings. I have heard only one but enjoyed the detail. Can you give a list of some of the ones you really like? It might be helpful for me so I may look further into this. BTW, I have a set of mg6pro’s on order. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6,771 of 13,503
I am new to binaural recordings. I have heard only one but enjoyed the detail. Can you give a list of some of the ones you really like? It might be helpful for me so I may look further into this. BTW, I have a set of mg6pro’s on order. Thanks.

Here are a couple of links to some good binaural recordings:

http://www.binaural.com/binvct.html
http://orangetreeproductions.com/music-cds.html

Several really special albums:

Up Close by Ottmar Liebert
Explorations in Space and Time by Chesky Recordings: HDtracks.com
Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra / Saint-Saens Organ Symphony by Hector Olivera NCAU10001

There are also some free binaural samplers, such as "Virtual Haircut" that are impressive demonstrations of binaural recording. One can locate these via Google searching.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #6,772 of 13,503
Quote:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder/
I like that one:)

works a treat 
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #6,774 of 13,503
Quote:
Yo fellas I got a question for ya. If you turn up the gain on an amp (O2) does it raise the impedance?

The O2 maintains it's output impedance of > 0.1ohm regardless of gain - The ultralow output impedance was one of the design goals for it 
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6,775 of 13,503
Quote:
The O2 maintains it's output impedance of > 0.1ohm regardless of gain - The ultralow output impedance was one of the design goals for it 
smile.gif

That's good to hear. Funny how when I put the gain up I notice everything just comes more forward as well. Even after adjusting the volume to compensate I still feel things are closer. Got a bit fatiguing with the AKG3003s though. If anything it brought the vocals closer but the treble became a too in your face, bass seemed to thicken a tad bit.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #6,776 of 13,503
The gain switch does vary the voltage feedback by different value resistors, but I believe in the DX100, these resistors are not in series with the headphone output, so the output impedance should remain unchanged regardless of the gain setting. I will confirm this with iBasso just to be certain.

iBasso has confirmed that changing the gain setting does not add any resistance to the headphone output and the output impedance remains less than 1 ohm regardless of which gain setting is selected.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6,777 of 13,503
Quote:
iBasso has confirmed that changing the gain setting does not add any resistance to the headphone output and the output impedance remains less than 1 ohm regardless of which gain setting is selected.

Good to know...thanks for confirming.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #6,778 of 13,503
a short note. Got mine on Thursday.

Sound = awesome, i'll give it that, even with my LCD2's / JH16s

software / function / battery life / EXT...EXT...EXT = HORRIDLY BROKEN, I mean What

There are so many unexceptable issues with the software. Simple things. Major lag, freezes, bugs that stop it from functioning. Being able to play in track order! from an album... seriously What (that's a requirement for me, and a simple fix), its as simple as making a track order play option instead of "date created" being the default and NO OPTION to change. This software is ridiculous. So many bugs that are unacceptable. 900 dollar beta testing?!?

If it wasn't for the upgraded sound it would have been returned immediately. Instead I'll just wait a few days. No one should pay 850 - 900 dollars for less then beta software on a brick.

I don't understand how I got duped into buying this thinking the issues would be handled. I wrote them... no response. Surprise. They aren't too speedy on returns.

/Rant Over

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #6,779 of 13,503
Quote:
Ok well with regard to my previous post about Upper/Lower caps on certain artists listed in the menu, Ibasso have asked me for an offending file and said they are going to fix this bug!

IE music from "Soul II Soul" shows up as "Soul Ii Soul"

So hopefully they will fix it, looks like the player is overriding what the meta data information is.

Surfer

I have seen this issue before an it is related to very very specific devices (an issue with OS, BIOS that make a perfect storm).

The issue you describe looks like the OS is only allowing capitalization of the first letters and then will automatically lowercase anything preceeding it until the next "space" is encountered. It usually is an OS issue on how it is reading the text stream on input.

in short.

If you were to change your artist name to

SOUL II SOUL

Your particular DX100 would make it... Soul Ii Soul. I have the upgrade image/Firmware of the DX100 and trying to see if I can run it under the android SDK. But right now it looks like it is a very isolated incident which means probably a BIOS issue on your unit.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #6,780 of 13,503
Quote:
a short note. Got mine on Thursday.

Sound = awesome, i'll give it that, even with my LCD2's / JH16s

software / function / battery life / EXT...EXT...EXT = HORRIDLY BROKEN, I mean What

There are so many unexceptable issues with the software. Simple things. Major lag, freezes, bugs that stop it from functioning. Being able to play in track order! from an album... seriously What (that's a requirement for me, and a simple fix), its as simple as making a track order play option instead of "date created" being the default and NO OPTION to change. This software is ridiculous. So many bugs that are unacceptable. 900 dollar beta testing?!?

If it wasn't for the upgraded sound it would have been returned immediately. Instead I'll just wait a few days. No one should pay 850 - 900 dollars for less then beta software on a brick.

I don't understand how I got duped into buying this thinking the issues would be handled. I wrote them... no response. Surprise. They aren't too speedy on returns.

/Rant Over

So how do you like the box it came in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back