iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6,706 of 13,503
If you convert an AIFF or WAV file to FLAC and then re-convert it back to an AIFF or WAV file, you'll end up with EXACTLY the same music. There are no "compression artifacts". It's the same as if you zip a text file then un-compress it. You don't get artifacts in your text. That is why it is called lossless compression. If it affected the un-compressed music in any way, it wouldn't be lossless. :smile:

I think I worded my post rather poorly. My reference to compression artifacts was referring to artifacts that may have been introduced by the conversion software, not artifacts inherently present in the .flac codec. I have tried several different conversion software programs and ripping programs and not all of them perform their functions with the same degree of precision and accuracy.

I still believe that the least amount of processing and/or conversion between codecs will result in the best overall sound.

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #6,707 of 13,503
Quote:

I'll try and answer this myself as no one else seems to have any ideas.  The same issue has been reported a couple of times in the DX100 bug thread without any apparent resolution, so it does appear to be a known issue, although I suspect that not everyone experiences it - guess I'm just 'special'.  I can get albums to play in order by going through the albums menu option on the menu above the music menu (same place where you can browse the directory), but that is obviously restricted to one album at a time.  If I try to use the main music menu to play (say) an artist then it will play the albums in reverse alphabetical order and the songs in each album from last to first.

Without any indication that I can find of what's causing it I have no idea what to do to try and fix it so will wait and see whether it still happens after next week's firmware update and if it does then I'll contact iBasso and see what they have to say.

I have another issue - Some albums, but not all, are completely jumbled and out of order. All are tagged and named properly, yet still they are listed (and played) out of order.

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #6,708 of 13,503
Quote:
.Wav files converted to mp3 would be a waste of time. There is no benefit over just ripping to mp3 if that is what you want for your player files.
I think multiple conversions will always adversely affect the audio quality of the file to some degree.

Of course remembering that many ripping/encoding programs create a .Wav first anyways to later convert to an .mp3.  Such is the case with EAC/Lame as one popular example.  

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #6,709 of 13,503
Quote:
I think a few peoples comments about the sound quality not blowing them away, is due to them not listening to the right music!

I haven't listened to that much of my music yet (been too busy ripping), but if you pick songs were the "vocal" is at the forefront of the music then im sure you will be blown away.

Try a few songs from Chris Rea (Looking for the Summer) made my hairs stand on end!

Shirley Bassy (ok stop laughing now).....Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Never Never Never, all suberb sound, you hear sounds/instruments youve never heard before in the tracks.

Fleetwood Mac (Everywhere, Isn't It Midnight, Little Lies)

George Michael (I can't make you love me, You have been loved)..listen to those cymbals man

Lisa Stansfield (In all the right places)

Sade (Hang on to your love, Smooth Operator)

Seal (Prayer for the Dying)

Sting (Fragile) I mean listen to that guitar being plucked.

All my music is ripped from the original CD's in Flac.

@surfer1000
I listen to all sorts of genres from Classical and Opera to Prog Metal and so have large selection of genres to test with.
My setup is DX100 - EQ off\D-filter = Slow Rolloff -> JH16\JH13 - all music is FLAC ripped from CD(setting 0 compression)

What I am saying is that while the DX100 sounds good, it just doesn't yet sound noticeably different to my J3. Where I get breathy vocals, brassy cymbals, string by string guitar strumming and even slight faint distortion(scrunchy sound from a dodgy CD), I get that on the J3 too. Maybe the difference is so subtle to my ears that its just not noticeable....certainly not to the extent suggested in some of these reviews.

Having said that, I "feel" that some of my music may have a wider soundstage on the DX, but until I do an A-B comparison, I cant be sure. I am going to spend the next 300hrs listening time creating a small list of test tracks, so that after the 300hrs I can A-B them with the J3....I think by then I should notice any differences between the two DAPs.

I think it would be interesting to know from those who can really hear the improvements, to list what DAP they are are comparing the DX too and what headphones they are using.

Cheers

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #6,711 of 13,503
Quote:
@surfer1000
I listen to all sorts of genres from Classical and Opera to Prog Metal and so have large selection of genres to test with.
My setup is DX100 - EQ off\D-filter = Slow Rolloff -> JH16\JH13 - all music is FLAC ripped from CD(setting 0 compression)

What I am saying is that while the DX100 sounds good, it just doesn't yet sound noticeably different to my J3. Where I get breathy vocals, brassy cymbals, string by string guitar strumming and even slight faint distortion(scrunchy sound from a dodgy CD), I get that on the J3 too. Maybe the difference is so subtle to my ears that its just not noticeable....certainly not to the extent suggested in some of these reviews.

Having said that, I "feel" that some of my music may have a wider soundstage on the DX, but until I do an A-B comparison, I cant be sure. I am going to spend the next 300hrs listening time creating a small list of test tracks, so that after the 300hrs I can A-B them with the J3....I think by then I should notice any differences between the two DAPs.

I think it would be interesting to know from those who can really hear the improvements, to list what DAP they are are comparing the DX too and what headphones they are using.

Cheers

I bet you will also hear no strong difference after 300hrs because there is no strong difference existing. With JH13/JH16 you get the best sound of both DAPs. Maybe there are small differences but normally your human ear wouldn't hear it.
On the other hand burn in with DAP's ist a little bit voodoo - it is just your brain adaption: to learn handling the new sound signature. 
And there is also the new toy syndrom: you will hear the big sound difference you wish to hear to legitimate USD 800
smily_headphones1.gif

In a A-B blind test at the same sound volume it could be difficult to guess right.

The DX100 soundwise is certainly a good DAP - but with terrible cons (software, bad display, poor CPU, bad UI, bad stand-by time...)
So this DAP have soundwise the must to be the best in the world - otherwise there is no right to exist
evil_smiley.gif

And also keep in mind that ibasso is also a small chinese company with NO competence and NO research and development to design
a DAP burner - but to respect the limiting factors the DX100 is a quiet good first product

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #6,712 of 13,503
Ok well with regard to my previous post about Upper/Lower caps on certain artists listed in the menu, Ibasso have asked me for an offending file and said they are going to fix this bug!

IE music from "Soul II Soul" shows up as "Soul Ii Soul"

So hopefully they will fix it, looks like the player is overriding what the meta data information is.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6,713 of 13,503
Quote:
And also keep in mind that ibasso is also a small chinese company with NO competence and NO research and development to design
a DAP burner - but to respect the limiting factors the DX100 is a quiet good first product

How do you know this? And no competence? Even Apple computer had issues and still does on new releases and they have a team that pretty much outstrips most other manufactures abilities. No R&D, how do you know this? I mean to presume this is audacious. 

I personally find few issues with the software, the sound is great and for a music player, the screen works fine, for me. It is not an iBook, doesn't sound like a laptop computer but does reproduce music unlike and better than most any other handheld device on the market. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,714 of 13,503
Of all the threads I've read and pay attention to, this is the one of the only ones that the helpful members do such a fantastic job of helping all who come to this forum.  For such a huge thread, this is indeed miraculous.  
beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #6,716 of 13,503

Quote:
Ok well with regard to my previous post about Upper/Lower caps on certain artists listed in the menu, Ibasso have asked me for an offending file and said they are going to fix this bug!

IE music from "Soul II Soul" shows up as "Soul Ii Soul"

So hopefully they will fix it, looks like the player is overriding what the meta data information is.

Ibasso, received my file and yet they have come back and said they have tried it on 3 different firmware and they don't see the problem!!! What!

So I've taken some pics, attached here, can anyone else check this out ? Here is a dropbox link to this file [size=medium]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76146443/Keep%20on%20Movin%27.flac[/size]

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,717 of 13,503
Quote:

I bet you will also hear no strong difference after 300hrs because there is no strong difference existing. With JH13/JH16 you get the best sound of both DAPs. Maybe there are small differences but normally your human ear wouldn't hear it.
On the other hand burn in with DAP's ist a little bit voodoo - it is just your brain adaption: to learn handling the new sound signature. 
And there is also the new toy syndrom: you will hear the big sound difference you wish to hear to legitimate USD 800
smily_headphones1.gif

In a A-B blind test at the same sound volume it could be difficult to guess right.

The DX100 soundwise is certainly a good DAP - but with terrible cons (software, bad display, poor CPU, bad UI, bad stand-by time...)
So this DAP have soundwise the must to be the best in the world - otherwise there is no right to exist
evil_smiley.gif

Well, I'll keep and open mind and see what happens after the suggested 300hrs. I am hoping that I will notice an obvious difference and improvement over the J3 when I eventually A\B them.
My gut feeling is also that the most important component in the chain, which will yield the biggest upgrade in sound, is the headphone. I used to be a burn in sceptic until I experienced it myself and it definitely was not my brain adapting to the sound signature. I think that all mechanical and electronic components have a period of settling down where physical changes take place and in musical products, those changes can in some way alter the sound. However, I think its probably quite subtle and not as drastic as some say.

Being an early adopter of Android, I am quite used to the OS and any niggles and quirks earlier versions had and I dont have any problems with the current OS on the DX100. I find it responsive enough and the screen fine for my needs ie playing music. 
I cant comment on what level of R&D iBasso have carried out, but I think they have tried to create the best sounding DAP they can, its just that I am not yet Wowed.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #6,718 of 13,503
Ah probably off-topic for this DX100 thread. But actually I never tried the VorzugAmp even though I've taken pictures of it. I highly recommend you PM a member called "shigzeo" as owns both Rx Mk3 & VorzugAmp.

Thank you AnakChan

I though you have these two amps , because I want choose One of them for the best result to combine with my DX 100.

Last night I have tried combo between :
As transport : IBasso DX 100
As DAC amp : I Basso D 12 mod follow Hiflight upgrade kits with Blackgate
Cable : coax cable nanotech # 201 nano 3 with RCA Rhodium jack from Vermouth
Headphone : Alessandro Grado MS Pro
Ultrasone Ed 8 Ruthenium
Iems : JH 16 pro
UM Miracle

Overall Sound Quality improve, SQ is better than direct with IBAsso DX 100.
High : more refine and detail
Mid : more sweet and lush
bass : more detail and clean
Soundstage : is about the sama with direct DX 1000
Separation : better separation with D12 compare direct DX 100

Power direct with DX 100 has more power compare combine with D12

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #6,719 of 13,503
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

All I can say and I have said it before its not your "go to" device to surf the net on or play games or do your banking. However people are doing that... the sound for me is the deciding factor. It sounds good even after the FOTM factor has worn out and I think that is the ultimate test. Its not perfect and I dont think any DX100 fanboi has said it is. I still wish today that iBasso just had one big "PLAY" button as opposed to the droid interface as Im not interested in that OS but I still give it 7/10.

I have had a iPod/CLAS/amp and prefer this one simple device so if you are accepting to loving only MP3s and shackled to iTunes and the slick iPod interface then this isn't the device for you.

Not sure about your comments about NO competence and am putting that down to possibly english is not your first language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back