iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,691 of 13,503
Give it 300+ hours of burn in and I wouldn't be surprised if your impressions change. I didn't notice any major changes till have 50 hours of usage. The bass really started to show its texture and detail. It also has depth and impact while not overpowering the mid range and treble.

Quote:
In the spirit of DigitalFreak's post, I've had the same thoughts but am willing to allow ibasso some time to implement some firmware updates. 

To add my own dose of frankness, while I like the DX100 and it looks like it could replace an H140 as a digital transport...I am stumped by many folks assertions that this is the best portable sound ever.  I admit mine is not burned in yet, and accept that it may change later...but right now with 20 hours on it, I cannot see how it can transform enough to change my impressions 

I am convinced that the amp (as far as hardware) is this device's weakness.  It does not compete with my Hiflight topkit D12 or SR71b.  I find the sound directly out of the DX100 to be good, but comparatively flat with missing bass depth, imaging, soundstage and overall impact.  I am perplexed that so many are having such a different experience than me.  I was hoping that the DX100 would provide an all-in-one solution...but it appears it will only replace one of my components (source), or perhaps two as I am still testing the DX100's DAC which appears to be very good.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3,693 of 13,503
Scooter I'm not sure how you organize your music but I do so in a playlist style putting all my music in folders such as Favorite 80's, Favorite 90's Old Fart Jams etc. Accessing all my music via folder view on Power Amp is a breeez and is basically like viewing playlists. Its super easy and not clunky at all. Since I also tagged all my album art it all shows up, every single one and it looks very nice and refined. I will not be going back to the stock player, even if they fixed the bugs. I would only use it when I wanna listen to Hi-res music.

Quote:
My advice is not to do too much with the DX100 or expect too much until the next firmware update.  They've already fixed stuff, added features like gapless, things that aren't trivial.  So there's no reason to conclude that they can't fix whatever is wrong now.  They aren't just sitting on their asses, they are working on it.  It isn't hard to add stuff to playlists/favorites, just touch and hold.  Despite the fact that it isn't that snazzy, I instinctively like the stock player better than Poweramp, although perhaps I just need more practice with poweramp.  

Put a modest amount of music on it, and enjoy it.  But only return it if you literally can't get it to play music, which is a minority.  

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3,694 of 13,503

Quote:
Would anyone care to comment on this? Has anyone else noticed any change in sound character depending on gain level selected? (I mean if one adjusts the volume control to maintain equivalent overall volume level, obviously!)

For me it brings the presentation more forward. listening to my Silver-cabled IE80s with low gain isn't satisfying. The presentation is too far back and not upfront. Changing the gain settings to medium fixes that and brings the presentation to perfect focus for my preferences.

Also regarding hiss, I can hear a slight hiss even on low gain with my IE80's but that is when music isn't playing. When music is playing I don't hear it at all and its not a loud hiss. Just clearly audible to my ears.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #3,695 of 13,503

Quote:
I just received an email from iBasso in response to my last query. They've requested I return my unit as DOA and offered their apologies and a refund or replacement.  So, for the record, for those viewing my posts and the problems I've had, some of those problems this unit is having are the exception and not the norm.  For now I am going to take the refund, but I'll keep an eye on the thread and the product for when it becomes less buggy and more refined, and may jump right back on the bandwagon when that happens.  For now, thank you to iBasso for offering up a cutting edge product to a niche market, that has great promise, as well as for the integrity to back it up with a guarantee that they stand behind.  I would not hesitate to buy from them again on this basis, and thought that worth mention here.  I'm glad to hear so many are enjoying the DX100 and certainly understand first hand what there is to enjoy about it.

I too have had the same response to my mail regarding the SD card problem( not reading internal storage when an external card is used). I am going to send mine back for a replacement (iBasso will refund my scanned postage receipt). I am enjoying every minute with my DX100 and will be sad to lose it for a while. iBasso said they would send me a replacement immediately but I think I might have to hang onto it over the Easter hols. I think the customer sevice has been brilliant considering their size.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3,697 of 13,503

Quote:
Just past 7 hours and the 15% warning popped up.
Is it bad to run the battery completely out?

once a month, ok.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3,698 of 13,503
I agree with lee. 

With my limited understanding of "Gain"..can't or shouldn't it be increased with the resolution of the output?  In otherwords, a 192/24 track at hi gain can sound nice whereas a 192kps track at the same gain level would sound forced?

I've only listened to HiRes music thus far and only on a pair of 1964 Triples.

Quote:
For me it brings the presentation more forward. listening to my Silver-cabled IE80s with low gain isn't satisfying. The presentation is too far back and not upfront. Changing the gain settings to medium fixes that and brings the presentation to perfect focus for my preferences.

Also regarding hiss, I can hear a slight hiss even on low gain with my IE80's but that is when music isn't playing. When music is playing I don't hear it at all and its not a loud hiss. Just clearly audible to my ears.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3,699 of 13,503
I think gain is more a matter of getting a good impedance match with your phones.  Low impedance IEMs may do well with low gain although a lot of people's complex IEMs seem to be benefitting from medium gain.  High gain is a must for any sort of full size headphone.  It's worth trying all the gain settings though since the choice is yours.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3,701 of 13,503
I think gain is more a matter of getting a good impedance match with your phones.  Low impedance IEMs may do well with low gain although a lot of people's complex IEMs seem to be benefitting from medium gain.  High gain is a must for any sort of full size headphone.  It's worth trying all the gain settings though since the choice is yours.

I run my SR71-B in high gain even for JH13 as I find that gives the best sound

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,702 of 13,503

Quote:
My ATH-W3000ANV have only 20+ hours burn in and sound amazing out of my laptop.I don't see why won't sound way better with DX100 after both are mature enough.Just my 2 cent....

The W3000ANV directly out from my Macbook Pro / iPod Classic sounds better than when used with the DX100.

My desktop DAC plus the O2 amp (when paired with the W3000ANV) sounds so much better than the DX100 too.

Do note that ATH cans don't really need amping and amps like Yamamoto HA02 and ZD are there to 'touch up' the sound

There is just something about iBasso and ATH.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3,703 of 13,503
By the way, something I forgot to add, with the DX running on battery power and doing nothing but playing music (wi-fi off) the unit was completely room temperature - not warm in the slightest.

Now that its 'got the wi-fis' back and it is charging, it is noticeably warm to the touch.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3,704 of 13,503

Quote:
No,the hiss is self-generated.
I plug my JH16 without playing music,there is noticeable hiss @ mid gain with no EQ.

Are you connecting the DX100 to the wall charger?

Try disconnecting them (don't charge it while you listen) and see if things improve.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,705 of 13,503

Quote:

The DX 100 takes into account the impedance of the headphones, eg:
You plug an HD25 (70 ohms) volume 195/256 switch 2 gain,
Pause and do not touch the volume but unplug the headphones.
Place another helmet without ever touching the volume such as a Focal Spirit One (32 ohms) guaranteed slap! do not do that in ears with 16 ohms it can hurt the ears.
Voulume you touch and you instantly find the sound level suitable to the helmet, how?
Same effect by moving from 300 ohms to 32 ohms without touching the volume.

Annuler les modifications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back