iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3,286 of 13,503

Quote:
Might wanna try unplugging the Sony Z and then plugging it in once it's turned off. Might help force it to charge the rest of the battery even if it just starts turning on at that point. Also, might be able to force it into the bootloader which might allow you to charge the rest of the way, as its not loading the OS yet, and more lower level based code.

What is the easiest way to boot into the boot loader?

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3,288 of 13,503
I wrote I basso to see if they could make a thinner version without the internal amp. I figured and from what everyone is saying, they like a separate amps with it. They have no plans for this. To be honest I would buy one in a heart beat if they made one without the amp.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #3,289 of 13,503

easily and cheaply resolved by using the EQ
Quote:
Maybe sooner.......1 week for me now, edges have rounded off nicely!

Definitely more organic and coherent sounding. Staging has increased by quite a fair margin.

I still prefer it with an amp and depending on which one, the soundstage increases even more with better definition of the back wall, reverberations are more apparent, better bass decay and airiness in the trebles.

I still find the DX100 thin sounding on IEM s and slightly on the bright side of neutral, which is resolved by choice of the mini i/c to amp and the actual amp. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3,290 of 13,503
I never been to Audiophile University but 25 years of buying stereo equipment has led me to say this DX100 is damn good. If its bright I can make it less bright, if too bassy I can make it less bassy. I love the bass I am getting out of this player with the MG6Pros. Bass pounding hard and clean that its making my shells vibrate in my ears. Highs are high and I can hear every word the singer or singers are snging and I am hearing this while walking throught the crowded Hong Kong streets. **** recordings 192 and demos that are rare are much clearer and better sounding out of the Dx100 and of course Flacs are superb.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3,291 of 13,503
usually it requires holding the volume down or volume up while booting. hold a one of these down when you press the power button and dont let go till it goes into it. Usually one is for bootloader, the other is for recovery

Quote:
What is the easiest way to boot into the boot loader?

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,292 of 13,503

I am really enjoying every song again on the Dx100. Songs I have heard a million times are now brand new due to this player. I EQ it too bass is at 5 and boy bass is pouding and it is clear!
Quote:
!Very early first impressions , so take it with a grain of salt!
biggrin.gif

I just can't hold myself...sorry, I'll  shut my mouth..happy.
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,293 of 13,503
I got skeptical and sent ibasso an email regarding some simple bugs and useful additional features. I'm not proud of myself but I now have some peace of mind because I know they're planning to fix most or all of these problems in one clean sweep...

Is the EQ actually good compared to the other software EQs out there in the world? I'm a semi-purist so I try to listen to my gear the way the engineers designed them, but sometimes I get the urge to satisfy the old bass head in me...

Hi,
Thank you very much for your information and sorry for all inconvenience.
We are working on a new firmware, most of the problems that you reported will be fixed. Also, we will consider to add some features that you mentioned.

Best regards,
iBasso Audio

在 2012年3月30日 下午5:44,Qri 写道:
Here are some issues at the moment:

- When you go back from a specific album to all albums, selection goes back to the top, which is annoying if you have hundreds of albums and you're trying to get to an album starting with letter Z.

- If the name of the album/song/artist is too long, it will only show the first certain amount of letters and then '...' This is expected, but without some method of displaying the whole length of the name, such as the title sliding across horizontally to the left showing you the whole name, general song selection becomes extremely difficult (I.e. I cannot distinguish between Mozart Violin Concerto No. 21 and Mozart Violin Concerto No. 24 because they're cut off with '...')

- Flac song title tag is not recognized. The file name is shown, not the tagged title.

- Aiff files are not recognized in the music player, and can only be played in Directory.

- Ability to add songs to playlist is limited to either adding each song individually, or by a list displaying every single song inside the dap by alphabetical order.

- There's no ability to skip to a certain letter in the large list.

- No way to display songs by composer.

- When you select a song in a folder under Directory, instead of the playlist being the music inside that folder, it plays all music.

- If you press on the song for a second, a menu appears, one being add to playlist. This does not happen in "now playing" list (the top right button with play sign in the main player).

- Whenever I connect to USB and disconnect, it automatically creates all these playlists of some albums. It just appears there.

- Shuffle button gets stuck, and I have to press repeat button to make it work again.

- *****When playing some mp3 files, song ends, but on the screen it's frozen at almost the end of playback. Music stops playing and after a while, a popup saying "Activity Music (in application Music) is not responding. I'm given a choice between force close and wait. If I wait, pop up comes again and again. If I force close, and I reopen music, it gives me pop up again! I have to restart device....*****

Add:

- Song titles have artist names in blue underneath them (in small size) in Directory listing instead of file size.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #3,294 of 13,503

I am only on my day one playing with dx100, however, it is very apparent that iBasso's player has long way to go to become user friendly.
PowerAmp is so much nicer in every aspect except the ability to play hi-res files.

Quote:
I got skeptical and sent ibasso an email regarding some simple bugs and useful additional features. Quote:
Hi,
Thank you very much for your information and sorry for all inconvenience.
We are working on a new firmware, most of the problems that you reported will be fixed. Also, we will consider to add some features that you mentioned.

Best regards,
iBasso Audio
在 2012年3月30日 下午5:44,Qri 写道:
Here are some issues at the moment:
- When you go back from a specific album to all albums, selection goes back to the top, which is annoying if you have hundreds of albums and you're trying to get to an album starting with letter Z.
- If the name of the album/song/artist is too long, it will only show the first certain amount of letters and then '...' This is expected, but without some method of displaying the whole length of the name, such as the title sliding across horizontally to the left showing you the whole name, general song selection becomes extremely difficult (I.e. I cannot distinguish between Mozart Violin Concerto No. 21 and Mozart Violin Concerto No. 24 because they're cut off with '...')
- Flac song title tag is not recognized. The file name is shown, not the tagged title.
- Aiff files are not recognized in the music player, and can only be played in Directory.
- Ability to add songs to playlist is limited to either adding each song individually, or by a list displaying every single song inside the dap by alphabetical order.
- There's no ability to skip to a certain letter in the large list.
- No way to display songs by composer.
- When you select a song in a folder under Directory, instead of the playlist being the music inside that folder, it plays all music.
- If you press on the song for a second, a menu appears, one being add to playlist. This does not happen in "now playing" list (the top right button with play sign in the main player).
- Whenever I connect to USB and disconnect, it automatically creates all these playlists of some albums. It just appears there.
- Shuffle button gets stuck, and I have to press repeat button to make it work again.
- *****When playing some mp3 files, song ends, but on the screen it's frozen at almost the end of playback. Music stops playing and after a while, a popup saying "Activity Music (in application Music) is not responding. I'm given a choice between force close and wait. If I wait, pop up comes again and again. If I force close, and I reopen music, it gives me pop up again! I have to restart device....*****

Add:
- Song titles have artist names in blue underneath them (in small size) in Directory listing instead of file size.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,295 of 13,503
I, and others, said this several weeks ago, but I really do wish iBasso would simply collaborate with, or licence code from, the developer of Poweramp.

It'd resolve so many issues, and so quickly.

Just implement the proprietary 24-192 kernel workaround within the Poweramp player code and there would be a lot of happy DX100 customers.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,296 of 13,503

+1, I read that before and after experiencing it myself, I agree.
It will save a lot of the software development time and they can just focus on the hardware instead, which is what they are good at.

Quote:
I, and others, said this several weeks ago, but I really do wish iBasso would simply collaborate with, or licence code from, the developer of Poweramp.
Just implement the proprietary 24-192 kernel workaround within the Poweramp player code and there would be a lot of happy DX100 customers.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,297 of 13,503

Quote:

Try to send an urgent email to Poweramp developer, as I did some time ago.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #3,298 of 13,503
For all of you who are dismissing the amp surge/pop issue as 'irrelevant if you remember to disconnect headphones/IEMs first', I totally disagree!
Sure, it's nice in -theory-, but real life doesn't conveniently conform to theory. All it takes is one-out-of-a-hundred, or a thousand, or even 10,000, and this single moment of fumbling or absent-mindedness could result in damaged transducers costing several hundred, even over a thousand, bucks of damage.
If I sell you a car and tell you you have to check the brakes each time before you turn on the ignition, or you might have an accident, are you going to be quite happy with that caveat?

A quote from iBasso: "Regarding to the pop noise, it appears on all of our AMP products, not only the DAP. It is normal, and wont damage the phones."

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3,299 of 13,503
Quote:
Try to send an urgent email to Poweramp developer, as I did some time ago.

I emailed with the Poweramp developer but there isn't much he can do for various reasons. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3,300 of 13,503
Quote:
For all of you who are dismissing the amp surge/pop issue as 'irrelevant if you remember to disconnect headphones/IEMs first', I totally disagree!
Sure, it's nice in -theory-, but real life doesn't conveniently conform to theory. All it takes is one-out-of-a-hundred, or a thousand, or even 10,000, and this single moment of fumbling or absent-mindedness could result in damaged transducers costing several hundred, even over a thousand, bucks of damage.

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from Mython but pretty much all the Audiophile DAPs have this issue, this is due to the amp sections being so powerful. I agree it shouldn't be that way but it is. Even the touted Pico Slim has this issue and that amp is specifically made for sensitive IEMs. So the problem is much more wide-spread than you are led to believe. Its always just better to play it safe. I mean I wouldn't plug in my headphones before verifying the volume has been set to a safe level regardless, so I won't fret about it. The UI and how the device sounds tends to be where I have OCD and nitpick.

On a plus note I found an extra charger set on the bottom of my package, wonder if I scored a fellow headfiers extra order :wink:.

In an earlier post someone mentioned the Locale App and also the Locale - Headphone plug-in. Could this be used to MUTE the volume upon powering up and down to avoid the popping sound? I know this is a quick and dirty work around, but if it works, it would be one less headache to worry about! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back