iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #3,106 of 13,503
Just got it today.

Yeah the physical volume slider is dumb given the crazy range between the min and the max.

Using the screen to control the volume is dumb as well since the screen is not that responsive and it is extremely easy to do something we did not intend to.

I have now learned my lesson to not plug my iem in until everything has been set up properly. Also, I will need to equalize the volume of all my tracks somehow given the fact that I can't control the volume on the fly since it is disabled whenever the screen is locked.

Using the No Lock app, you can control the volume on the fly, since pressing the volume control rocker will instantly unlock the player and adjust volume up or down as selected. I have my screen timeout set to 30 seconds, so after setting the volume, there is no need to manually press the standby button.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #3,107 of 13,503
On the basis of you being unable to replicate what I experienced, I've gone back and replicated what I did:

I accessed the music track via ES File Explorer. Just tried accessing it only via the player explorer and it's not doing it, so I guess it must be a bug in ES File Explorer.

Can you please try on your DX100 to select a music track/song via the App 'ES File Explorer', and see if you can then tilt the player and interrupt playback that way?

To be fair, something similar happens on my Playbook when I open audio using ES Explorer. It doesn't restart, but it stutters and skips. So I wouldn't blame iBasso to vociferously on this one. Also, ES is really not the best way to navigate and open your music.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3,108 of 13,503

Quote:
Oh, it's pretty darned loud on the second batch, believe me - my poor CIEMs may have been lucky to survive. The problem is that although I've learned this lesson, there will inevitably be occurrences when I forget and my CIEMs could be severely damaged. Presumably, if the first batch didn't pop loudly, then this is, as has been mentioned, something to do with the capacitor changes. This is unacceptable for a 'reference' product, in my view.

Now you had gotten me worried that mine will come back with that problem. Does anyone else experience this on the 2nd batch / upgraded units?

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,109 of 13,503
In case anyone was wondering: :)

---------------------------
Hi,
It is512M RAM.
CPU is working on 400~800MHz.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio
---------------------------
Hello,

I wanted to know:

1)      How much RAM is in the DX100?
2)      What is the CPU speed?

Thanks a lot! Great work so far! Following the company’s progress and evolution on Head-Fi!

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #3,110 of 13,503
There is many other file explorers for android, as good if not better than ES Explorer, here are some:
1-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro
2-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.medieval.dualfm_xt
3-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rc.fileslick
4-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openintents.filemanager

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,111 of 13,503
Check this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552014/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xv/4305#post_8263170

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,112 of 13,503

Quote:
Check this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552014/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xv/4305#post_8263170

That is extreme! Great. Please also post the image here. Nothing like being placed on a pedestal. :^)

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #3,114 of 13,503
Has anyone here tried connecting the DX100 to an Apple Mac? I know my J3 became unbootable when I tried transferring files using my Mac and I don't want to experience anything similar with my shiny new DX100!

Cheers!

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #3,115 of 13,503

Quote:
Has anyone here tried connecting the DX100 to an Apple Mac? I know my J3 became unbootable when I tried transferring files using my Mac and I don't want to experience anything similar with my shiny new DX100!

Cheers!

I am not sure what you mean. I use a Macbook Pro and have no problems with transferring files and my Mac recognizing the DX100. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3,116 of 13,503

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean. I use a Macbook Pro and have no problems with transferring files and my Mac recognizing the DX100. 

I mean that the Mac OS has a thoroughly objectionable habit of writing 'DS_STORE' files to every darned directory it accesses. I know there is supposed to be a Console workaround command for this but I've never again trusted my Mac, even with that workaround, to go anywhere near my J3 (up until the the very latest 2.28 J3 firmware, only released a few days ago, the J3 would literally fail to boot without total reformat of the internal flash memory, if a Mac had written DS_STORE files to the root/system directories). I assure you, I've learned this the hard way.

Hence, my question about how the DX100 copes with this vile habit of OSX.

I'm relieved to hear that your DX100 seems to be none the worse for it's having been connected to your Mac.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,117 of 13,503

Quote:
I mean that the Mac OS has a thoroughly objectionable habit of writing 'DS_STORE' files to every darned directory it accesses. I know there is supposed to be a Console workaround command for this but I've never again trusted my Mac, even with that workaround, to go anywhere near my J3 (up until the the very latest 2.28 J3 firmware, only released a few days ago, the J3 would literally fail to boot without total reformat of the internal flash memory, if a Mac had written DS_STORE files to the root/system directories). I assure you, I've learned this the hard way.

Hence, my question about how the DX100 copes with this vile habit of OSX.

I'm relieved to hear that your DX100 seems to be none the worse for it's having been connected to your Mac.

Yeah, no problem at all but what I do is have either FLAC files on my mac or the Apple lossless, if I copy a CD and I put those in a folder with the album name on my desktop or to my backup 1tb hard drive. From the desktop or HD, I drop them onto the DX100 either internal or micro card with the card loaded on the DX100 or in an adapter. The little adapters that come with the micro card allow for read only but the micro to USB 2 works fine for loading the music files to the Micro card. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,118 of 13,503

You can download unlock app from android and control the volume on the go with the manual button. But it does turn on the screen when you do this (which is also stupid).
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Just got it today.

Yeah the physical volume slider is dumb given the crazy range between the min and the max.

Using the screen to control the volume is dumb as well since the screen is not that responsive and it is extremely easy to do something we did not intend to.

I have now learned my lesson to not plug my iem in until everything has been set up properly. Also, I will need to equalize the volume of all my tracks somehow given the fact that I can't control the volume on the fly since it is disabled whenever the screen is locked.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,119 of 13,503

Quote:
How can I put this? I really do like the sound of the DX100 but if HifiMan come up with an 802/901 which sounds almost as good, and doesn't put several thousand dollars worth of CIEMs at risk every time I switch it on, then I may very well jump ship. It's a real shame as I seriously do like the DX100 SQ.

Mython as far as know all of Hifiman offerings as of now also do this. I get a major popping upon powering on and off so I would always be sure to let the device power on before plugging in. This is the same for most amps (even the beloved Pico Slim has this dumb "blow My IEMS" pop). Don't be surprised if even the new 802/901 has the same issue...

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3,120 of 13,503

Users who are viewing this thread

Back