iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #812 of 13,503
Hello there I did try the 801 out was nice but not much nicer then the Cowon D2. I had the volume almost at full level though. My plan was to have a all in one player and not be walking 2 hrs a day with 2 devices in my pockets. I want to push out the bass on my customs even though it already has bass lots of it. Guess I want more.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #813 of 13,503

Quote:
The PowerAmp app (free two week trial, $4.99 to buy) is a superb player, one of the best I have used. When playing non-hires files, I can hear little, if any, difference between it and the iBasso player which is no surprise as both use the same DAC and amplifier circuitry. Gapless playback is perfectly implemented with menu options for customization. 

I don't see why iBasso can't simply license PowerAmp for the DX100, collaborating with the developer to suit the 24-192 playback requirement. If the entire app costs $4.99, then surely licensing some of PowerAmp's code wouldn't cost much.

Either that, or perhaps us Head-fiers might be able to petition PowerAmp's developer to do the necessary work, with the promise that there'll be a couple of hundred potential DX100 customers just waiting to buy PowerAmp if it becomes capable of handling 24-192   
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
It also has Xfeed

Ohhhh...does it....? Hmmm... I've never experienced the delights of crossfeed, but I know it is well-praised in the Phonitor headphone amp (before anyone shoots me down, yes, I do understand that the Phonitor uses an advanced, analogue, hardware implementation of crossfeed, not just a piece of digital code). What is your impression of the PowerAmp crossfeed function, running on the DX100, HiFlight? Worth using or just a poor implementation good for nothing but gimmick-value..?

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #814 of 13,503
Quote:
I don't see why iBasso can't simply license PowerAmp for the DX100, collaborating with the developer to suit the 24-192 playback requirement. If the entire app costs $4.99, then surely licensing some of PowerAmp's code wouldn't cost much.

Either that, or perhaps us Head-fiers might be able to petition PowerAmp's developer to do the necessary work, with the promise that there'll be a couple of hundred potential DX100 customers just waiting to buy PowerAmp if it becomes capable of handling 24-192   
ksc75smile.gif

i contacted PowerAmp the other day. They said there was no hardware to play 24/96 or 192 and I informed them there was and mentioned the DX100. They said they couldn't do software for that sampling rate. I asked them again this morning so we shall see. I told them it would be a good selling point. 

Maybe others should email them as well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Edit: I heard back from PowerAmp but they said they would need a DX100 to reverse engineer it. Who knows. 

I am playing Peter Green, Blues for Dhyana, Liquor and You, this is substantial sound. Bass excellence, and still a very open sound field. Beautiful cymbals, so brassy, wow. I am using my ATH-ESW10's. About as good as they have ever sounded. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #815 of 13,503

Quote:
I trust scootermafia's impressions. I'm getting rid of the rig because I'm getting rid of the iPad and the stack was too bulky for IEMs anyways. I'm keeping my O2 for my LCD2 though.

Hey Girls Generation where did you find the O2 amp with a 1/4 inch headphone out for your LCD2? Or did you just use an adaptor? I'm trying to find a O2 amp with 1/4 inch headphone out for my LCD2's as well?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #816 of 13,503
Quote:
I think you mean it's too "hard " to resist?  You've been in China too long and started to talk like one:wink:

Quote:
I understood what he meant though lol. I tend to communicate with many foreigners with accents and become accustomed to understanding them while many who talk with them can't articulate :).

Now hang on a second. English is a complex language, guys. And we do know how to speak it in Canada.

In this case, "Too hard to resist" and "Too easy to resist" arguably have the same meaning - although "Too easy to resist" is better IMO. 

"Plucking the fruit is too easy to resist" versus "Plucking the fruit is too hard to resist."

And this is a very important discussion!  
tongue_smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #817 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:

Now hang on a second. English is a complex language, guys. And we do now how to speak it in Canada.

In this case, "Too hard to resist" and "Too easy to resist" arguably have the same meaning - although "Too easy to resist" is better IMO. 

"Plucking the fruit is too easy to resist" versus "Plucking the fruit is too hard  to resist."

And this is a very important discussion!  
tongue_smile.gif

biggrin.gif

I am getting confused by you!

So in typical English when we say 'too hard to resist', it would mean that there is no way we could resist the temptation so we gave in to it.

Then in Paul's language, 'too easy to resist' would mean the same thing because you can just give in to the temptation to so you won't need to resist it anymore???
confused.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #818 of 13,503
No. My meaning is: Plucking the fruit is too easy so I therefore can't resist.

Okay I am willing to concede that my version causes international confusion. I don't think that it would confuse in Canada but English has many variations. For example, I attended an Australian "Footie" (Australian rules football) banquet here in Shanghai and it was like being on Mars. In theory, the athletes were speaking English...

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #819 of 13,503

Quote:
No. My meaning is: Plucking the fruit is too easy so I therefore can't resist.

Okay I am willing to concede that my version causes international confusion. I don't think that it would confuse in Canada but English has many variations. For example, I attended an Australian "Footie" (Australian rules football) banquet here in Shanghai and it was like being on Mars. In theory, the athletes were speaking English...

'Plucking the fruit is too easy' to resist.

VS

Plucking the fruit is 'too hard to resist'.

It has got to be the grammar. Lol.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #820 of 13,503
Too hard to resist = resisting would take too much effort.   So the resisting is hard

Too easy to resist = the fruit is too easily picked for one to resist it.   So the fruit is too easy and consequently, why should one resist something so easy?

So in the first instance, it's the effort of resisting which is 'hard'

But in the second instance, it is the picking of the fruit which is too 'easy', and because the fruit is so easy, there is no motivation to resist something so easy.

It's a quirk of the English language that a sentence can be constructed which can have more than one meaning, depending on which of the words is emphasised whilst it is being read by the reader. Same words but different emphasis = different perceived meaning.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #821 of 13,503
Back on-topic, Jamato has been working hard contacting the relevant people, in a similar vein to my earlier suggestion, re' PowerAmp and iBasso solution for gapless playback at 24-192 etc.

Let's hope these efforts bear some 'fruit' (sorry, that was just too easy!) 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #822 of 13,503

Either that, or perhaps us Head-fiers might be able to petition PowerAmp's developer to do the necessary work, with the promise that there'll be a couple of hundred potential DX100 customers just waiting to buy PowerAmp if it becomes capable of handling 24-192   :ksc75smile:

Ohhhh...does it....? Hmmm... I've never experienced the delights of crossfeed, but I know it is well-praised in the Phonitor headphone amp (before anyone shoots me down, yes, I do understand that the Phonitor uses an advanced, analogue, hardware implementation of crossfeed, not just a piece of digital code). What is your impression of the PowerAmp crossfeed function, running on the DX100, HiFlight? Worth using or just a poor implementation good for nothing but gimmick-value..?

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #823 of 13,503
I've no idea how many people have pre-ordered from the second allocation, but the iBasso website is still accepting orders (I'd have thought the dealers would've snapped up quite a few, but perhaps not...).

I'm in.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #824 of 13,503
Black or white ... I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea (after Van Morrison) ... I pre-ordered with PayPal and was rejected when I was told "page not found" when I went back to the iBasso site from PayPal there .... anyone else in the UK get that ?  ...

That's happened every time I've ordered from iBasso. The order still went through .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back