iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #661 of 13,503

Quote:
Okay here's some info for 2nd batch (source from emailing ibasso) 

- 2nd batch pre-orders will be sometime this week
- price will be lower than retail
- more than 200 pieces of DX100 available for pre-order 

I'm afraid your information on pricing is inaccurate; below is a reply received today from iBasso concerning price and whether the coax was mini to mini:

[size=medium] Hi,[/size]
[size=medium] Thank you for your email.[/size]
[size=medium] The DX100 is our of stock. we will correct the shipping cost when it in stock again.[/size]
[size=medium] The 699USD review sample price is no longer available.[/size]
[size=medium] The cable is mini coaxial to normal coaxial.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Sincerely[/size]
[size=medium] iBasso Audio[/size]

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #662 of 13,503
I interpret iBasso as meaning the next batch won't be as low as $699, but will, perhaps, be lower than $829.

That's $130 variability - perhaps it'll be $750?

Either way, I don't personally sense that fenom60 was "inaccurate"

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #663 of 13,503
Just a quick side notes for those that are interested.  I have made three short Crystal Piccolino interconnects.  Two mini to mini and one mini coax to RCA coax.  If anyone is interested in these, please pm me.  I made these for the DX100. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #664 of 13,503
It was clear that fenom60 was referring to information received from iBasso, and so the reference to inaccuracy was to the information they had provided.
Technically, of course you are correct there may be a halfway house, in which case it is for iBasso to clarify the position. Why can they not simply say in one of the replies, what the true price will be - it isn't in the realm of quantum physics...wait a minute, when considering their quoted price of >$12,000 for delivery, perhaps it is...

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #665 of 13,503

Its already known that you can't get them at $699 but they are saying there will be a slight discount for the second batch. This is still cheaper than $829.00 though.

Edit: ibasso contacted me to let me know they found the issue on my DX100 (the screen was defective). They replaced the screen and will wait til they update my firmware and will ship it back. Excellent customer services guys. Highly recommended :).
Quote:
I'm afraid your information on pricing is inaccurate; below is a reply received today from iBasso concerning price and whether the coax was mini to mini:

[size=medium] Hi,[/size]
[size=medium] Thank you for your email.[/size]
[size=medium] The DX100 is our of stock. we will correct the shipping cost when it in stock again.[/size]
[size=medium] The 699USD review sample price is no longer available.[/size]
[size=medium] The cable is mini coaxial to normal coaxial.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Sincerely[/size]
[size=medium] iBasso Audio[/size]

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #666 of 13,503

Quote:
@randius: so the digital out implementation of dx100 is not better than the iriver h1x0?

not sure how you come to that impression but I had not tested its digital output. I don't have any equipment that accepts digital input and no money to get one now... My impression is solely based on DX100's headphone out.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #667 of 13,503

Quote:
not sure how you come to that impression but I had not tested its digital output. I don't have any equipment that accepts digital input and no money to get one now... My impression is solely based on DX100's headphone out.

I missed that as well.  I would assume the iriver's headphone and lineout would not hold a candle to the DX100.  It's the iriver optical out that is the real competition to the DX100's abilities.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #668 of 13,503
Quote:
I missed that as well.  I would assume the iriver's headphone and lineout would not hold a candle to the DX100.  It's the iriver optical out that is the real competition to the DX100's abilities.

Yes and no. The DX100 goes to 24/192 bit for bit but the iRiver only goes to the normal 16/44.1 so for ultimate hi rez, there will be no comparison as I have some 24/192 and the sound steps up a couple of notches but I will say that on well recorded 16/44.1, there is still a lot of enjoyment with either one but then you don't need a dac and amp with the DX100. :^)

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #669 of 13,503

Quote:

take a look at your post below..

Quote:

Listening to it out of the box with my 1964 Ears quad driver customs and stock cable (still waiting for my Twag to come back from RMA), I can only say that the headphone out is already good enough to trump my previous setups such as iPhone 4 + D12 via LOD and better H120 + D10 via optical. I do not hear any noise/hiss when the DX100 is switched on and not playing music. It is more musical sounding and has bigger and convincing sound stage than both setups and DX100 is almost as clean-sounding as the H120 + D10 via optical. Listening to the same classical tracks on DX100 is more enjoyable due to the added depth in sound stage. It is also capable of driving HD600 and LCD 3 to satisfying level. I do not own the Hifiman HM-801 or the Colorfly C4 so I will not be able to make any comparison. The downfall of such a powerful performance is the short battery life (around 6-8 hours) and bulk (about 3x thickness of iPhone 4).

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #670 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and no. The DX100 goes to 24/192 bit for bit but the iRiver only goes to the normal 16/44.1 so for ultimate hi rez, there will be no comparison as I have some 24/192 and the sound steps up a couple of notches but I will say that on well recorded 16/44.1, there is still a lot of enjoyment with either one but then you don't need a dac and amp with the DX100. :^)

Understood.  I don't plan on getting into much high resolution audio...so the big appeal I see is getting the great iRiver optical sound (or better) without the extra accessories.  I'm pretty sure I'm in the next preorder depending on how the fixes go. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #671 of 13,503

Quote:
Understood.  I don't plan on getting into much high resolution audio...so the big appeal I see is getting the great iRiver optical sound (or better) without the extra accessories.  I'm pretty sure I'm in the next preorder depending on how the fixes go. 

I can understand that and I am not going crazy with a bunch but for some, it is great to have the ability to hear the extra depth to the music that the higher resolution can bring to the sound spectrum. HiFlight has said the iRiver was ahead of its time and I agree, it is a great player but the amp in the DX100 is so much better and again, as everyone is learning, the entire package of the 100 doesn't require an additional dac and amp to get you to the stage. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #674 of 13,503

Quote:
Changing the topic, am I alone in noticing how few of the 40 buyers have followed through with their implicit promise to post reviews?

I hope this situation will change soon, as there are plenty of potential customers for the next batch (myself included), who could benefit from such reviews (I'm wishing average_joe had got one, as I find his reviews extremely detailed and helpful).

Though I have the DX100 for like a week, I need more time to actually go with some conclusions on it. Though I'm not sure if it will be helpful to many headfiers, because the only pair of hadphones that I've got is Edition 8 and the only source I've got, besides DX100, is an iPod touch.

Edit:

Anyways, the initial impressions it is:

On average the sound is very tuneful. I really enjoy it. But when I first plugged my Edition 8 into it I was kind of disappointed. I expected the difference between DX100 and iPod to blow my head off (like when I first tried E8). Instead the sound was very pleasant, but it took a while for me to figure out at first little and later great differences in the sound.

The first thing to come to my head was a thought that there's like 10-30% of new musical information that I hear, comparing to iPod. Which I thought was impossible, because the Edition 8 are very detailed headphones by themselves and I believed what I heard from iPod was the best of what the record could present to me. I was definitely wrong.

The bass is more controllable. I can definitely hear patterns in it. It was like simple "boom" on my iPod. I've got an impression that with DX100 the bass got more attention than other frequency ranges. It's not that the others are bad. It's that the bass became a real pleasure to hear.

The soundstage is wider and deeper, like 150% that I hear from iPod on my Edition 8. It has more 3D effect in it - I can definitely position some of the musical instruments more to the left/right and farther/closer on the soundstage. But there's more to it. The soundstage is not empty. It's not like you hear some instruments put in different corners, but instead a wide stage filled with sound. Which is delivered by various instruments, positioned in different corners. I don't know how to describe it more accurate so I'll just leave it as is.

The separation of the musical instruments has gone to a new level. I can hear clapping of the crowd even beneath the music and it is not muddled, it sounds very real, like being there.

The sound of vocals that I hear from the DX100 are amazing. There were many times when I was twisting my head, just because the voice was so clear I thought someone came into my room.

And last but not least: a brief comparison with HM801.

I've had it like 30 mins in my possession so I've got a chance to briefly compare these two. 

I started with the HM801 and I really liked it. The bass was very pleasant and mids were fine. I thought it was a bit dark (if I correctly use the term). Meaning that the highs were dim to my ear. I think if I didn't had the DX100 I might have bought the HM.

But then I plugged my phones into DX100. And I definitely liked it more. To my opinion it was a head above the HM. The sound was pretty balanced, there were no frequency ranges that DX100 would highlight more than others. Unlike the 801, which to my taste was paying too much attention to the lows and mids with no good treating of the highs. With DX100 sound was wider and fuller, more filled with music. The HM801 got the music to be concentrated (in a good way) and DX100 forced the sound to really open, to present it like it is, with lots of details and harmony in every frequency range. The soundstage was wider in DX100. The sound had more life in it. My opinion is that DX100 has more natural sound comparing to the HM801.

I had not much time with these two nor any vast sound testing experience, but I would definitely choose the DX100 over HM801 for its sound quality.

P.S. I'm not good with the sound language and my native language is not English, so I apologize for the clumsiness of the language in my impressions.
P.P.S. I've got a picture from the meeting where I've got a chance to compare these two. Thank you guys from pleer.ru! 
beerchug.gif

P.P.P.S. Everything I wrote can be applied only to the records with good mastering and good quality of the record itself. There are tracks that despite everything sound practically the same from my iPod and from DX100. But the records that received a good treat at studios had really opened up and sounded great with all those awesome things I've described. And in fact, I was astonished when some records of 2000s opened up less than some records made in 80s and 90s. Before listening to DX100 I was pretty sure that everything recorded after year 2000 must be better in quality than those before.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #675 of 13,503
Great review and impressions and easily understood. Thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back