iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #541 of 13,503
Quote:
@martinhalliday - thats right, anything that enters the JH3a has to go through the digital domain so there is no point feeding it an analogue signal - as I explained a few posts ago. This is why the DX100 is so attractive for JH3a owners. It has a Hi-Rez capable coax out avoiding the 2 extra conversions an analogue signal would have to go through. So yes it has a ADC and a DAC.

I agree but oddly Warp and at least one other person are feeding the JH3A with the HM-801 line out over a digital feed. OT but stranger than fiction nonetheless.

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #542 of 13,503
They must like the flavour the PCM1704UK adds to the game

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #543 of 13,503
HiFlight pointed out that on the software that comes with the DX100, when you press on an album, you have to hold the press for a few seconds. When you do this, 4 choices come up for the album. If you press play, it plays the album in correct order and all the way through from start to finish. You can also add to favorites etc in the drop down menu that happens if you hold your finger on the album of choice for a few seconds rather than a quick tap. 

Good information! 

Also I notice the sound continues to mature in subtle but meaningful ways. Cymbals on well recorded jazz and rock, have a delicacy of brass that is really enjoyable and realistic, proving there is more on these recordings than often rendered. Also the bass has become even more integrated into the natural flow of the music.

I pulled out my Ed. 9 to give a listen. They are fairly easy to drive but on sound, ok so far. Substantial bass, which some like about the Ed. 9 and some don't. I can really hear the difference between the Ed. 9 and the LCD-2, with the LCD-2 being more delicate and open sounding when using the LX100. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #544 of 13,503
Has anyone confirmed that the DX100 can read a 64g microsd yet?"

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #545 of 13,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone confirmed that the DX100 can read a 64g microsd yet?"

I would try one but they are too expensive at this time, for me. I am using 32gb and have ordered a few more as the price is pretty good and I want to load certain types of music on each one and have a set variety on the main memory of the DX100. I see that most are still around 150 dollars for 64gb. 32gb are around 31 for a class 4, which works fine. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #546 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:

I agree but oddly Warp and at least one other person are feeding the JH3A with the HM-801 line out over a digital feed. OT but stranger than fiction nonetheless.

As the HM-801 does not have SPDIF out, this is not possible.  It does have an analog line-out, which is an excellent source for the JH3A on a desktop, but not for a mobile rig due to bulk.  

I continue to enjoy the HM-801 for 24/88 or 24/96 material with the balanced amp module and TWag Eclipse TRRS balanced JH13s.  The JH3A is currently driven by my recently upgraded WhipMOD 256GB SSD (highly recommended upgrade) via the Fat Boy LOD thru the analog line-in for all Redbook stuff.

Sorry for temporarily derailing the DX100 thread, just wanted to set the record straight.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #547 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try one but they are too expensive at this time, for me. I am using 32gb and have ordered a few more as the price is pretty good and I want to load certain types of music on each one and have a set variety on the main memory of the DX100. I see that most are still around 150 dollars for 64gb. 32gb are around 31 for a class 4, which works fine. 

LOL, John, I guess you're not upgrading to the Nikon D4 and the new Sony XQD cards  http://click.e.adorama.com/?qs=614e218312af2dcabd77a18139a461962d3fe0261cda69a2a5aae0a0c19080178ed82e6c6e2ae26e5437dba157bc91d6

I got two on preorder.  Ouch.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #548 of 13,503
Feb 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #549 of 13,503
Quote:
Quote:

As the HM-801 does not have SPDIF out, this is not possible.  It does have an analog line-out, which is an excellent source for the JH3A on a desktop, but not for a mobile rig due to bulk.  

I continue to enjoy the HM-801 for 24/88 or 24/96 material with the balanced amp module and TWag Eclipse TRRS balanced JH13s.  The JH3A is currently driven by my recently upgraded WhipMOD 256GB SSD (highly recommended upgrade) via the Fat Boy LOD thru the analog line-in for all Redbook stuff.

Sorry for temporarily derailing the DX100 thread, just wanted to set the record straight.

How to you get your 801 to play 24/88 ?
Mine does not play that format and Fang has confirmed that the chip can't do it.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #550 of 13,503
QuoteOriginally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My bad for not being clearer. You were using the CLAS as the digital source. That is reclocked and bit perfect so my original point applies. It's way off-topic here but no surprise to me that the Cirrus Logic DAC in the JH3A  benefits from an analogue signal from a more musical DAC. Still the requirement to go DA-AD-DA to get better sound is unfortunate.

Actually It is not entirely off topic. I found the DX100 to be quite musical. So It is an open issue as to whether the JH3A would sound better with the analogue or digital feed from the DX100. (It might well depend on individual taste.)

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #551 of 13,503
After letting the Ultrasone Ed. 9 run all day, as I haven't used them for about a year and a half, they are sounding terrific with the DX100. They sounded flat at first but detail has really picked up and they sound smooth but with a lively presentation. 

I need to break out the HE-6 and see for myself how the play with the DX100. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #552 of 13,503

Quote:
QuoteOriginally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My bad for not being clearer. You were using the CLAS as the digital source. That is reclocked and bit perfect so my original point applies. It's way off-topic here but no surprise to me that the Cirrus Logic DAC in the JH3A  benefits from an analogue signal from a more musical DAC. Still the requirement to go DA-AD-DA to get better sound is unfortunate.

Actually It is not entirely off topic. I found the DX100 to be quite musical. So It is an open issue as to whether the JH3A would sound better with the analogue or digital feed from the DX100. (It might well depend on individual taste.)

I can only speak from my own experience (as we all do) and when I used my Ref 7.1 (same dac chip as HM-801 albeit 8 of them) the rca out to analogue in of jh3a was many times inferior to using the coax signal from the audiophilleo. In fact even the usb input was even clearly better. I spend quite some time doing these tests with several hi-end dacs and transports at home and the results where not ambiguous. 
Also from memory, when Warp08 was comparing the 2, he was using hi-rez on the HM801 and obviously not on the CLAS coax out. which doesn't make it an appropriate comparison.

I will post how the coax out from the DX100 fairs with the 3a when I receive it from the 2nd batch order.

I also spoke to ibasso and they said they will be producing at least 200 units for the 2nd batch so "there will be plenty for everyone to order" as they said.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #555 of 13,503
Quote:
Can anyone educate me on this for a little bit.
Does it benefit substantially with an amp?

The internal amp is one of the best iBasso has produced. Powerful and yet able to articulate details in a delicate manner with a large soundstage that is layered. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back