iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #436 of 13,503
Well Turok it's really up to you. The Sony is a no, no for me due to it lack of lossless support. I think the ibasso has amazing sound quality for a portable DAP. As long as ibasso fixes the bugs (I'm sure they will) and possibly give a discount in the second batch (at least that is what they've hinted to) I do think this device is well worth the money. Just my common luck if you've noticed. My dap is the lemon of the lot. Will just have to add sugar and make lemonade.

Good luck on your flight home mischa. Looking forward to more impressions on this device.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #437 of 13,503
it does support wave lossless

Quote:
Well Turok it's really up to you. The Sony is a no, no for me due to it lack of lossless support. I think the ibasso has amazing sound quality for a portable DAP. As long as ibasso fixes the bugs (I'm sure they will) and possibly give a discount in the second batch (at least that is what they've hinted to) I do think this device is well worth the money. Just my common luck if you've noticed. My dap is the lemon of the lot. Will just have to add sugar and make lemonade.

Good luck on your flight home mischa. Looking forward to more impressions on this device.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #438 of 13,503
I tried to order one today and got this reply, which shows they're serious about fixing the bugs soon.

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will fix the shipping cosdt once we start taking the pre-order.
We will email you once we start taking the 2nd batch pre-order. We will start taking pre-order once we fixed the software bugs reported.

Sincerely

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #439 of 13,503

Quote:
it does support wave lossless

Quote:

Don't forget the Atrac lossles which is basicaly  a repacked flac with propriety software encoding just to F&^%%%#$% us (like Apple lossless)

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #441 of 13,503

Quote:

Does it have a micro Slot? If so that may be replacing my sansa fuze :)

Nope....no Sony DAP has an external card slot....a big fail on their part, if you ask me.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #442 of 13,503

Quote:
Nope....no Sony DAP has an external card slot....a big fail on their part, if you ask me.

Yea that is epic fail. Without an SD card slot I won't even give it a second thought. This kinda mentality puts me off from these companies. I don't like being limited and controlled.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #443 of 13,503
I tried with no avail on the other DX100 thread but could someone try d/l the Cloudskipper app to see if it can play hi rez files on the unit. 

Many thanks

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #444 of 13,503

Quote:
I tried with no avail on the other DX100 thread but could someone try d/l the Cloudskipper app to see if it can play hi rez files on the unit. 

Many thanks

Only the stock music player can output > 16/44khz. Output by any other player is downsampled to 16/44khz. This is a known limitation of Android.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #445 of 13,503

Quote:
Only the stock music player can output > 16/44khz. Output by any other player is downsampled to 16/44khz. This is a known limitation of Android.

oh  my bad then but I thought I read in an earlier post that the Neuton app was able to play hi rez files!?!?

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #446 of 13,503

Quote:

Yea that is epic fail. Without an SD card slot I won't even give it a second thought. This kinda mentality puts me off from these companies. I don't like being limited and controlled.

Don't you have an Iphone!!!!!!!!!!!! no SD, itunes............
eek.gif
........................................APPLE= (-_-)

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #447 of 13,503
Quote:
Nope... no Sony DAP has an external card slot....a big fail on their part, if you ask me.

Actually, their PCM-M10 recorder amazingly does have an µSD card slot! Not much of DAP candidate, but still, notable as one of Sony's first steps in the right direction...

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #448 of 13,503

Quote:
Actually, their PCM-M10 recorder amazingly does have an µSD card slot! Not much of DAP candidate, but still, notable as one of Sony's first steps in the right direction...

I didn't even think of those as DAP's.....although I guess you could use one as such.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #449 of 13,503
Okay, some quick thoughts on my experience with the DX100 last Friday. I had limited time listening to it and the music was completely unfamiliar so proper comparisons and conclusions are difficult. Still I had a good overall impression.

All of the thoughts below are with the Westone ES5.

The DX100 hardware is nice. It's bigger than I thought but as my earlier photos showed, it's quite reasonable for an all in one unit. The brushed metal is attractive and overall it exudes class.

I think that the Sabre DAC is dynamic and detailed while remaining quite musical. It isn't dry or overly bright like my CL-based MicroDAC. It is perhaps a bit less organic and musical than the Wolfsen WM874X DAC chips found in the D7 and the CLAS but there is a natural trade-off there given the extra energy of the Sabre. I would emphasize that these are my general impressions. Without common music (or even genres), I could not make real comparisons. 

So which do i prefer between the DX100 and the CLAS? A better question would be whether I would prefer the DX100 with the Sabre or the WM874X. I honestly don't know. I think that they are both very good chips. I find the Wolfsen to be smooth and sweet but the Sabre was anything but dry and there was something exciting about the sound. Too early to say.

The DX100 amp's volume control is outstanding. As an ES5 owner I really appreciate the fine low volume control. Also excellent is the volume scaling of the DAC. Some on here noted distortion from the line out at full volume. That would almost certainly be a limitation of the amps receiving the signal. Most portable amps max out around 2vrms and the DX100 Sabre line out seems to be very loud. The Stepdance can accept a very loud input and I can confirm that there was no distortion from the DX100 at full line out volume. However that made for rather loud listening through the ES5. Here is where the DX100 shone. I could adjust the line out volume down to about 70-80% and get fantastic volume control with the Stepdance and my ES5. 

Which leads naturally to a discussion of the amp itself. I think that it is good - certainly better than the T3D and probably better than the T5. I think that it is good enough to make for an attractive all-in-one package. Still, when I ran the line-out to the Stepdance, things got really fun. It is a material step up. (Then again I recently did a lot of auditioning in HK and I found that the Stepdance kiled just about everything except the L3 - and the latter, while sounding just great, is big and heavy, and also hisses with the ES5.)  I am thinking that the DX100 + the 2Stepdance would be a killer brick in not too large a form factor. (The 2SD being quite a bit smaller than my original.) Importantly, the DX100 internal amp did not hiss with the ES5 which is impressive. It didn't create quite the same inky blackness as running the line out to the Stepdance. The amp was definitely "on". But it was plenty clean.

So what is my feeling on the total package compared to my current Classic+CLAS+Stepdance rig? While the iPod+CLAS has the advantage of being pretty much bullet-proof - it just plain works - assuming resolution of the bugs, I prefer the form-factor of the DX100 to a CLAS based system. Volume control is better, both stand-alone and with the Stepdance. That is a biggie for me.

I cannot say definitively whether the CLAS+Stepdance sounds better or worse than the DX100+Stepdance or even just the DX100. I can only say that the DX100+Stepdance sounds better than the DX100 which is not surprising given the active balanced ground and the substantial juice that the SD consumes.

Of course, in comparing the Sabre and WM874X, individual taste will come into play. They are different approaches to making music.

If I wasn't being careful with funds right now, and if I didn't already own my rig., I suspect that I would take the risk and jump at the DX100. And I would focus, at least initially, on using it as a stand-alone unit. My impression is that it is good enough - which is to say, it is pretty damn good.

Hell, I may cave and buy it anyway, finances be damned.

But it sure would help if I could audition it with some recognizable music...!

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #450 of 13,503
cooperpwc how do you compare ipod + CLAS + amp and DX100 alone in terms of details, sound stage, presentation and other. If you will not focus on preferred sound flavor, then what setup has more detail and aforementioned terms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back