iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #182 of 13,503
Dear HiFlight,

Thanks for answering!

Have you noticed any sibilance in this DAP?

This DAP remembers, somehow, the sound of the HM-801?

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
The DX100, as in all quality audiophile-class devices, has no signature of its own. It precisely reproduces what is on the recording, the better the recording, the better the sound. It also, unlike many lesser players, accurately reproduces the recorded ambiance cues that allows the listener to actually feel the sense of space in which the recording was made. (assuming, of course, that it is a very well-mastered recording). The DX100 obviously is able to very precisely render the harmonics that give instruments their correct timbre and sense of realism.
While I don't own the UM3X, I have spent a number of hours listening with my ES3x and the sound is absolutely superb.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #183 of 13,503
Zero sibilance here. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #185 of 13,503

Quote:
The DX100, as in all quality audiophile-class devices, has no signature of its own. It precisely reproduces what is on the recording, the better the recording, the better the sound. It also, unlike many lesser players, accurately reproduces the recorded ambiance cues that allows the listener to actually feel the sense of space in which the recording was made. (assuming, of course, that it is a very well-mastered recording). The DX100 obviously is able to very precisely render the harmonics that give instruments their correct timbre and sense of realism.
While I don't own the UM3X, I have spent a number of hours listening with my ES3x and the sound is absolutely superb.

Don't see how that's possible. All devices have there own sound signature. Even though I haven't heard this DAP yet, I think it's generally accepted that the Sabre dac sounds different to other dacs, multibit dacs sound different to sigma delta etc.. not only because of the chips themselves but the implementation. Valves sound different to SS and so on.This is after all just a DAP with a sabre dac and built in headphone amp. I have no doubt it sounds different to the HM 801 or the Fostex HP P1 ( as they sound different to each other). Does that make different sounding devices non audiophile class?

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #186 of 13,503
Don't see how that's possible. All devices have there own sound signature. Even though I haven't heard this DAP yet, I think it's generally accepted that the Sabre dac sounds different to other dacs, multibit dacs sound different to sigma delta etc.. not only because of the chips themselves but the implementation. Valves sound different to SS and so on.This is after all just a DAP with a sabre dac and built in headphone amp. I have no doubt it sounds different to the HM 801 or the Fostex HP P1 ( as they sound different to each other). Does that make different sounding devices non audiophile class?

As all opinions regarding sound signatures are subjective, it is likely that each person will have a different definition of the "sound signature". Probably best to try it for yourself. If you don't like it, I am sure that there will be many willing buyers.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #187 of 13,503

Quote:
As all opinions regarding sound signatures are subjective, it is likely that each person will have a different definition of the "sound signature". Probably best to try it for yourself. If you don't like it, I am sure that there will be many willing buyers.

I can't wait to try it-I plan to order one as soon as they're available. I am impressed by what I've read so far.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #188 of 13,503
Hi Ron,

Have you pair the DX100 with any iBasso amp to see if there is anymore possible improvement in SQ?

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #189 of 13,503
This is a very transparent and revealing DAP. The instrument separation is superb and the overall presentation just spells quality. This is not a digital sounding DAP like the Sflo2 is. Its very convincing and natural. Imaging, clarity, separation are all top notch. I'm hearing details on my IE80s that I've never heard before :p

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #190 of 13,503

Quote:
This is a very transparent and revealing DAP. The instrument separation is superb and the overall presentation just spells quality. This is not a digital sounding DAP like the Sflo2 is. Its very convincing and natural. Imaging, clarity, separation are all top notch. I'm hearing details on my IE80s that I've never heard before :p

I wonder how it sounds vs O2, where is Scooter hiding , man we need him here..

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #191 of 13,503
The early owners seem very quiet, all things considered. That leads us to one of three assumptions:

1) It's so good they are lost in musical nirvana and in the past 2-3 days haven't looked at their pc, showered, brushed their teeth, or fed the dog.

2) It's rubbish and they are literally overcome by disappointment and embarrassment.

3)

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #192 of 13,503

I think number 1 would be the correct answer. Initially a little bit of number 2 due to getting my music to organize and play how I want it. Once I got over that hurtle and stated listening. Its money well spent :wink:. Now gotta unload some gear to recoup costs...
Quote:
The early owners seem very quiet, all things considered. That leads us to one of three assumptions: 1) It's so good they are lost in musical nirvana and in the past 2-3 days haven't looked at their pc, showered, brushed their teeth, or fed the dog.
2) It's rubbish and they are literally overcome by disappointment and embarrassment.
3)

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #194 of 13,503
3) 

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #195 of 13,503

Quote:
4) It got stuck inside their jeans pocket and they can't get it out.

Its actually a lot more portable than you'd be lead to believe. At least when considering what is inside this DAP. Next to my iphone4 in its otterbox this player is about the same size in form factor just a little more thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back