iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #12,571 of 13,503
Good day

i d like to re visit a question/concern i ve had for some time , i ve read others threads on this , but never joined the topic .Worried about appearing daft kept me from joining till now ,but i do really want to understand the favourites and playlist settings on dx100 .I ve been at this since i got my unit YIPES !!!!!

1. i dont know the difference between the two , in practical terms .

All i wish to do is Ie: randomly choose maybe 20 or so preferred tracks from a specific artist or various artists and put them into a specific folder Ie Music for work outs , etc . I have 132 hi res tracks from the stones ,and 10 discs of ELO , but im rarely in a mood to listen to them in order of one whole cd at a time .

The way i ve tried is i  go to Ie the Stones folder , and hold down a preferred song and choose add to playlist or add to favourite ,when i choose playlist im greeted with the playlist folder , and here i expect an option where i can create a folder and randomly assign a name like Stones workout toonz . Id even love to playlist assign some trax to mood preference or era of release .But this doesnt seem possible , and after so many attempts my playlist is a huge mess , i have no idea how to clear it , and if i do im worried i ll delete stuff from my dap 

Is there a way i can do this on the dx100 without having to use an external program , hook it to my pc etc ? im rather spontaneous , also lazy , and dont want to have to run to my pc everytime i have a new playlist whim ?

Also , heres a real newb question , the playlist/favourites are merely short cuts that point to the location , and not copies that double storage space ?

Another newb question , how does all this playlist/favourites work on removable media , ie the various micro sds i have on otg , the same one isnt always in the micro usb slot .

Cheers for all patience :)

May 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #12,572 of 13,503
I never use 'playlist' and 'favourite' on my DX100. I just play it by "Albums", "Artists", "Genres" and "Directory"

But I remembered within this thread, Lee has listed out a comprehensive guide of using "playlist" on his DX100, he uses the MediaMonkey software to manage his playlist and export to DX100. He's said many times that he couldn't use "any" DAPs without playlist and he claims himself a "playlist" freak . So you could just search "playlists" within this thread to find out what's he says and see it could help you or not.

As another question of "how the playlist and favourite work behind the DX100" I don't care if it works for me (you better ask iBasso directly). Like I said earlier, I never use these two function simply because I just don't want to make myself into trouble on my DX100 because of its reputation of "fragile" and it would make me more happier and safe.

May 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #12,573 of 13,503
Yes, the playlist function is bit quirky, and like almost everything else in the UI we wish iBasso had done a better job. But... it does the basic job it is set out to do. I use playlists almost exclusively and I have over 200 of them. I mostly create my playlists in MediaMonkey and then export them (and the tracks) into my DX100. But I also sometimes create a new playlist from within the DX100. 

As you requested we will ignore any external tools and only concentrate on playlists created within the DX100. You already have the basic idea but the problem you're having is that you have to create an empty playlist before you attempt to add any tracks to it.  And that is done from the Playlists window. Just press the 'NewPlaylist' button at the top. After that step then go to your Album listing and add individual tracks the way you described. You can edit the name of a playlist at any time but you can't change the order it appears when viewing all playlists. The DX100 displays playlists in the order they were created. End of story.

Add tracks to an existing playlist by using your method, or by pressing the plus sign to the right of a playlist name. This presents your ENTIRE track listing. From this screen you can add (multi-select) one or more tracks by selecting (placing a checkmark) on individual tracks. At this point you'd think there would be a Save or Add button to actually save your choices and return you back to the playlists. But after checking the tracks you want, just press the Return (Back) button to save your choices and go back to your playlists.

You are correct that playlists are just shortcuts to one or more tracks. However, when you long-press a track within your playlist you are given options to Remove the track (shortcut) from the playlist, or Delete the actual file. So choose carefully.

If your playlist is a total mess and you want to start over again just long-press the playlist name and select Delete. This removes any shortcuts in that playlist and the playlist itself. The actual music track files are not touched.

Finally, just like on a computer, the items (shortcuts) in your playlist are pointers to files located on one or more drives. If you're playing a playlist and it encounters a track that cannot be located (the card is not mounted) then it just skips to the next item in the playlist. This will not alter the playlist... so the next time your playing that playlist and the track IS present, it will play that time.

Note: The playlists created from within the DX100 are stored and maintained in a hidden database that you do not have access to. However, playlists created in something like MediaMonkey and then exported to the DX100 are stored in the regular file system and you can view/edit those playlist files. Now here's where I get ahead of myself and this is where it gets advanced and weird: Those imported playlists files are then imported into the hidden database at the next media scan. From that point on, whenever you play one of those playlists it is actually being read from the database and not from the file. After being imported into the database you can delete the playlist file (not that you need to) and the playlist remains intact in the database.

I have spent many long hours getting my playlists the way I want them. And for me the playlist function works. But just barely.

May 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #12,574 of 13,503
  I never use 'playlist' and 'favourite' on my DX100. I just play it by "Albums", "Artists", "Genres" and "Directory"

But I remembered within this thread, Lee has listed out a comprehensive guide of using "playlist" on his DX100, he uses the MediaMonkey software to manage his playlist and export to DX100. He's said many times that he couldn't use "any" DAPs without playlist and he claims himself a "playlist" freak . So you could just search "playlists" within this thread to find out what's he says and see it could help you or not.

As another question of "how the playlist and favourite work behind the DX100" I don't care if it works for me (you better ask iBasso directly). Like I said earlier, I never use these two function simply because I just don't want to make myself into trouble on my DX100 because of its reputation of "fragile" and it would make me more happier and safe.

Yes, the playlist function is bit quirky, and like almost everything else in the UI we wish iBasso had done a better job. But... it does the basic job it is set out to do. I use playlists almost exclusively and I have over 200 of them. I mostly create my playlists in MediaMonkey and then export them (and the tracks) into my DX100. But I also sometimes create a new playlist from within the DX100. 

As you requested we will ignore any external tools and only concentrate on playlists created within the DX100. You already have the basic idea but the problem you're having is that you have to create an empty playlist before you attempt to add any tracks to it.  And that is done from the Playlists window. Just press the 'NewPlaylist' button at the top. After that step then go to your Album listing and add individual tracks the way you described. You can edit the name of a playlist at any time but you can't change the order it appears when viewing all playlists. The DX100 displays playlists in the order they were created. End of story.

Add tracks to an existing playlist by using your method, or by pressing the plus sign to the right of a playlist name. This presents your ENTIRE track listing. From this screen you can add (multi-select) one or more tracks by selecting (placing a checkmark) on individual tracks. At this point you'd think there would be a Save or Add button to actually save your choices and return you back to the playlists. But after checking the tracks you want, just press the Return (Back) button to save your choices and go back to your playlists.

You are correct that playlists are just shortcuts to one or more tracks. However, when you long-press a track within your playlist you are given options to Remove the track (shortcut) from the playlist, or Delete the actual file. So choose carefully.

If your playlist is a total mess and you want to start over again just long-press the playlist name and select Delete. This removes any shortcuts in that playlist and the playlist itself. The actual music track files are not touched.

Finally, just like on a computer, the items (shortcuts) in your playlist are pointers to files located on one or more drives. If you're playing a playlist and it encounters a track that cannot be located (the card is not mounted) then it just skips to the next item in the playlist. This will not alter the playlist... so the next time your playing that playlist and the track IS present, it will play that time.

Note: The playlists created from within the DX100 are stored and maintained in a hidden database that you do not have access to. However, playlists created in something like MediaMonkey and then exported to the DX100 are stored in the regular file system and you can view/edit those playlist files. Now here's where I get ahead of myself and this is where it gets advanced and weird: Those imported playlists files are then imported into the hidden database at the next media scan. From that point on, whenever you play one of those playlists it is actually being read from the database and not from the file. After being imported into the database you can delete the playlist file (not that you need to) and the playlist remains intact in the database.

I have spent many long hours getting my playlists the way I want them. And for me the playlist function works. But just barely.

Thank you both very much . i tried media monkey once , just browsed trying to figure a  way to clear playlist ,then next time i booted dx100 my heart sunk , it took near an hour to show any files,ya know how dx100 usually hangs forever lol) 

im suppose to be working right now , but i have my dap handy , so ill turn my back and give the clear playlist a try 1st then get back to work lol

OK the clear / delete playlist only clears/deletes one folder at a time , i have to do each individually , when i long press playlist i only get play all as an option , is this correct for you ? If so i can live with that . 

Good news about removable media and those tracks remaining available .

Tons of help here mate , so cheers :) im looking for an excuse to leave work now hehehehe

May 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #12,575 of 13,503
I took a long lunch

i gave up deleting one playlist item at a time , what a mess . Looks like everything on my dap is playlisted dozens of times lol

So i hooked up media monkey ,i cant see any clear playlist settings( i downloaded last week so its likely latest version?)

Drive j is inserted sd card , drive k is ibasso internal

For the life of me i cant see where to clear playlist ,perhaps since it wasnt created with media monkey i cant see it ?

Thanks in advance for advice

May 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #12,576 of 13,503
Update

i spent too many hours on this issue today :)

SO far no luck , i tried the reformat tool.rar , but its instructions included are not english friendly , at least for me ,i followed as well as i could , and no way is my dap seen , i even dropped it on my dap folder to see if that worked ,but no luck .

After hours i gave up , upgraded to latest FW , hoping it would erase playlist mess , no luck . Tho i individually long press a playlist item and choose delete , it doesnt appear anything is being deleted .

This has Pd me off so much , i left work early to figure it out , extremre i know lol

Any further advice on how to clear this messy playlist is appreciated

Cheers

May 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #12,577 of 13,503
  Update

After hours i gave up , upgraded to latest FW , hoping it would erase playlist mess , no luck . Tho i individually long press a playlist item and choose delete , it doesnt appear anything is being deleted .

Any further advice on how to clear this messy playlist is appreciated

Cheers

There are only two ways (that I know of) to remove playlists: Erase ALL data in bulk (including your music), or long-press individual playlist items and select Delete. Yes, you have to do it one at a time. MediaMonkey won't do it for you.

You said you tried deleted them one at a time and didn't see it being deleted. You WERE doing it correctly, and yes, they WERE being deleted. You just had so many duplicates that it just seemed like nothing was happening. Go ahead and sit there for a while and keep deleting them one at a time. Eventually you'll get down to zero playlists.

When I had messed up the order of my playlists in the past I had to sit there for an hour deleting them one at time until I got the point where I could start over again.

ADVANCED TOPIC:
In theory there is a potential solution to managing playlists. It involves someone creating a separate Android app and then running it on a rooted device.  

The database that contains playlists on the DX100 is a version called SQLite. In theory you can install an database query app on the DX100 and then use it to query and update the playlist database. But you have to first root the device in order to see the database. Someone could build an app that ran certain SQLite queries to update the database. It could start with a few basic queries, like:

--Delete all playlists
DELETE * FROM PLAYLIST_DB;

--Delete all playlists that have 'MOZART' in the name
DELETE * FROM PLAYLIST_DB WHERE PLAYLIST_NAME LIKE '%MOZART%';

One of these days I will root my DX100 and try this.

May 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #12,579 of 13,503
  There are only two ways (that I know of) to remove playlists: Erase ALL data in bulk (including your music), or long-press individual playlist items and select Delete. Yes, you have to do it one at a time. MediaMonkey won't do it for you.

You said you tried deleted them one at a time and didn't see it being deleted. You WERE doing it correctly, and yes, they WERE being deleted. You just had so many duplicates that it just seemed like nothing was happening. Go ahead and sit there for a while and keep deleting them one at a time. Eventually you'll get down to zero playlists.

When I had messed up the order of my playlists in the past I had to sit there for an hour deleting them one at time until I got the point where I could start over again.

ADVANCED TOPIC:
In theory there is a potential solution to managing playlists. It involves someone creating a separate Android app and then running it on a rooted device.  

The database that contains playlists on the DX100 is a version called SQLite. In theory you can install an database query app on the DX100 and then use it to query and update the playlist database. But you have to first root the device in order to see the database. Someone could build an app that ran certain SQLite queries to update the database. It could start with a few basic queries, like:

--Delete all playlists
DELETE * FROM PLAYLIST_DB;

--Delete all playlists that have 'MOZART' in the name
DELETE * FROM PLAYLIST_DB WHERE PLAYLIST_NAME LIKE '%MOZART%';

One of these days I will root my DX100 and try this.

Thanks mate

When you say " Erase ALL data in bulk (including your music)" do you mean using the dx100tool that formats the dap ? If so , yes i tried that ,i moved all my music to pc and tried that tool ibasso sent me ,1st its very poorly written for english speaking persons :) , but i could nt get it to work , or see my dap. I think it was possibly written for a bricked dx100 ? i tried everything under the sun to get it working, epic fail. Also the gui it self is all in chinese/Japanese ? UGH !!!!!

Is there a simple to understand english version here ? Or instructions here? Tho i feel i ve followed all instructions .

i dont mean to question you mate , but i witness someitems not being deleted when i long press and hit delete , that very item(s) stay right there , not all, but some .

Im not even sure how the play list became such a mess , i should remember making that many , and the funny thing is , well into 90% or more of the lists are empty ,and the ones that do have anything appear to be almost all the music from my dap in one folder, IE multipe artists/tracks in a folder only meant for/titled Ie Van Morrison, it may have every other artist in there as well

Is this another fail/quirkof this dap ? As i wait for seemingly ever for it to boot now because i ve added two new cds since last boot  (under 500mb).

I ve contacted Ibasso , near a week ago now , got one replay asking for pics , no reply since. They ve never taken so long to reply

Cheers for you help 

May 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #12,580 of 13,503
  Thanks mate

When you say " Erase ALL data in bulk (including your music)" do you mean using the dx100tool that formats the dap?

No, I don't know about that external tool. But in the Andriod Settings screen, under "Storage", there is an option to Erase NAND flash. That's the quickest and easiest way to get rid of everything and start over. It's been discussed several times in this thread and I think is documented in the FAQ somewhere.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to try the nuclear option: Doing a factory data reset, located in Settings/Privacy. But that is a last resort option.

I agree that the playlist functionality is very limited and difficult to work with. It requires patience. But I haven't seen the issues you're having, at least not to the degree you describe. Hopefully you'll discover a better method for managing playlists and then you can share them here.
Good luck.

May 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #12,581 of 13,503

No, I don't know about that external tool. But in the Andriod Settings screen, under "Storage", there is an option to Erase NAND flash. That's the quickest and easiest way to get rid of everything and start over. It's been discussed several times in this thread and I think is documented in the FAQ somewhere.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to try the nuclear option: Doing a factory data reset, located in Settings/Privacy. But that is a last resort option.

I agree that the playlist functionality is very limited and difficult to work with. It requires patience. But I haven't seen the issues you're having, at least not to the degree you describe. Hopefully you'll discover a better method for managing playlists and then you can share them here.
Good luck.

Thanks matie

i tried the NAND thing , did nt clear playlist .

i would of did a factory reset like u just mentioned , but over a few days , and several hours , one at a time , playlist is cleared . i will keep the factory reset in mind
if this ever happens again

Any ideas on how this mess came to be ? i definitely did nt create that mess , most folders were empty ugh

Cheers for patience mate

ps not sure im digging 1.42 as much as 1.27 yet . Am i imagining less bass here ?

Cheers

May 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #12,582 of 13,503
Well if this dap didnt sound so good id toss it to the dustmen

When i rebooted a good portion of playlist was back , so i deleted it again , as a test i shut down and rebooted , seems the entire playlist is back ,i dont have the patience to go thru that again .

ill prob nuke it and restart 

Of interest creating playlists on this device is a PITA . Most of the time the name i choose doesnt show , it defaults to recently played , when i deleted it shows in delete option as the name i ve given it , when i do get to choose a name that shows , almost all the songs on my dap appear in that folder UGH !!!!!!!!

Frustration cant explain my mood 

Any more direction is appreciated , Ibasso isnt replying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back