iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #12,481 of 13,503
  It doesn't even say corrupted? I was able to get mine to tell me that it was corrupted (it took a little bit), then I clicked on Erase SD card. If that does not work then you are most likely going to have to use a program to format the card (I am assuming its still in exFAT) which is a PITA.

I know the card works as I have been using it for the past week without any issues.

I reformatted it as NTFS and it worked fine with a couple of test albums, now loading it up with more!

thanks for the thoughts

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #12,482 of 13,503
  It doesn't even say corrupted? I was able to get mine to tell me that it was corrupted (it took a little bit), then I clicked on Erase SD card. If that does not work then you are most likely going to have to use a program to format the card (I am assuming its still in exFAT) which is a PITA.

I know the card works as I have been using it for the past week without any issues.

sorry, to answer your questions, yes it did say it was corrupted but it didn't give me the option to format or delete.

of course windows only offered exFAT or NTFS and as the former didn't work I decided I had nothing to lose by trying NTFS...

in short, it reads FLAC files from an NTFS  formatted card fine!

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #12,484 of 13,503
  Strange I thought most Android devices only accepted FAT32. That is what I generally format my cards in to be used on most of my stuff. Its annoying that windows does not format FAT32 above 16gb or something stupid.

Me too, I only tried it because there was nothing to lose, I didn't expect it to work but I thought it might allow me to format the card on the DX100. 20GB down, 100 odd to go...

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #12,488 of 13,503
The amp is able to make the HE-6 have enough SPL for me to listen to music.
So I think it should be easy for mad dog.

As for quality, it cannot drive the HE-6, if can barely make it to my T1, and for HD800, it can most of the information out.
Hence, it is a portable meant for portables (phone that has less than 30 ohm and have a efficiency rating greater than 90%).

I find the system to be the warm side in general. Not sure it is from the saber dac or the amp itself. I have tried my friend's E12 with the IE8. From that phone, I cannot tell any difference. I think I need my custom to really differentiate them.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #12,489 of 13,503
  The amp is able to make the HE-6 have enough SPL for me to listen to music.
So I think it should be easy for mad dog.

As for quality, it cannot drive the HE-6, if can barely make it to my T1, and for HD800, it can most of the information out.
Hence, it is a portable meant for portables (phone that has less than 30 ohm and have a efficiency rating greater than 90%).

I find the system to be the warm side in general. Not sure it is from the saber dac or the amp itself. I have tried my friend's E12 with the IE8. From that phone, I cannot tell any difference. I think I need my custom to really differentiate them.

Hi,
Thank you for your comparison.
My idea is to replace my current portable rig with a DX100 to obtain a single box solution.
My current rig is an iPod Touch, a Fostex HP-P1 and a Fiio E12, all connected by Whiplash cables.
I use IEMS, a pair of Citiscape uptowns and a pair of Mad Dogs.
I am considering buying some headphones to complement the Mad Dgos on the Desktop Rig, like some HD600's or Fidelio X1's.
Either way, how would the DX100 compare and would it also be able to drive the desktop headphones if wanted or needed?

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #12,490 of 13,503
  Hi,
How is the AMP on tthe DX100? Is it good enough to drive a pair of Mad Dogs on it's own?
Also, how would you compare the built in AMP to a portable one like a Fiio E12?

Cheers!

I have used my DX100 to drive my Alpha Dogs, which I would assume to be no less demanding. The SQ is fine but it's much better amped. |I haven't used an E12 but the ADs are way better out of my HiFi M8. Likewise the DX100 can drive LCD 2 but not as well as a decent desk top rig can.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #12,491 of 13,503
  Hi,
How is the AMP on tthe DX100? Is it good enough to drive a pair of Mad Dogs on it's own?
Also, how would you compare the built in AMP to a portable one like a Fiio E12?

Cheers!

I actually use my DX100 to drive my Alpha Dogs all the time, and I used it to drive them when they were Mad Dogs as well. I think for a portable rig the DX100 does an excellent job. No it does not sound as good as a desktop rig but hell it sounds mighty fine considering you can bring it anywhere on the go. Even though you probably are not going to get the most out the MDs compared to the desktop, it sounds mighty good. 

As for the E12, I owned that as well and preferred my DX100 to it. I owned them both at the same time. The DX100 has a much more neutral and clean sounding amp. However it does not have as much power as the E12, but the fact is the DX100 outclasses imo. A major problem for the MDs is that they are a bit dark to begin with, and when you throw in a dark amp into the mix it reduces its glorious balance and qualities it has. One of the major problems I had with the E12 is that it reduced the sound stage on it, and just did not get the same imaging as my DX100. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #12,492 of 13,503
  I actually use my DX100 to drive my Alpha Dogs all the time, and I used it to drive them when they were Mad Dogs as well. I think for a portable rig the DX100 does an excellent job. No it does not sound as good as a desktop rig but hell it sounds mighty fine considering you can bring it anywhere on the go. Even though you probably are not going to get the most out the MDs compared to the desktop, it sounds mighty good. 

As for the E12, I owned that as well and preferred my DX100 to it. I owned them both at the same time. The DX100 has a much more neutral and clean sounding amp. However it does not have as much power as the E12, but the fact is the DX100 outclasses imo. A major problem for the MDs is that they are a bit dark to begin with, and when you throw in a dark amp into the mix it reduces its glorious balance and qualities it has. One of the major problems I had with the E12 is that it reduced the sound stage on it, and just did not get the same imaging as my DX100. 

That's a real helpfull insight. Thank you! :)

Any comparison between the DX100 and the X5 from Fiio?

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #12,493 of 13,503

That's a real helpfull insight. Thank you! :)

Any comparison between the DX100 and the X5 from Fiio?

Cheers!

Never tried the X5 but if your looking at the MDs yet the X5 will probably be a little too underpowered. It is a little more powerful than the E17, but I found the E17 to drive the MDs pretty poorly. It would drive them to volume, but you do not get the same characteristics of the E12 or DX100. There is certain qualities you get with both ADs and MDs when you get closer to powering them properly.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #12,495 of 13,503
  Does it make sense to use the E12 with the DX100? Or is it redundant, considering the output power of the DX100?

Cheers!

I own both the DX100 as well as the Fiio E12, and seldom use the E12 as an external amp with the DX100.
As Gamefreak054 aptly described: the E12 is too much colored, narrow sounding and has poor imaging than the DX100's internal amp. Although, I cannot deny the fact that the E12 certainly does have more driving power than the DX100!
The DX100 is able to drive my LCD 2.2 to pretty high volumes, with very good dynamics. So, I don't see any reason why it will have any trouble driving the Mad Dogs...
IMO, I have found the DX100 to be truly a portable totl dap, that I can take with me anywhere, and will have no issue driving anything from IEMs to headphones, to near perfection ("near" - atleast for full-size headphones).

That being said, the Fiio E12 DIY edition amp might be better than DX100's internal amp...since you could swap opamps and buffers, etc...and so the SQ will be better than stock E12, and with the added driving power (over the DX100).
I too am thinking about getting one! since it seems VFM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back