iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #12,391 of 13,503
Is it possible to turn off the media scanning?

I navigate using the hierarchical file structure and have no need for Albums, Genres, Artists, etc.  It's very frustrating to be waiting for the scanning even when nothing has changed, or worse, being unable to access the file structure when the DX100 gets lost. I've done resets and factory resets and the problems persist.

I just use the DX100 as a transport now so don't even need the DAC & amp and it works poorly as a transport because of the frustrations with constant scanning and hanging. It's bad enough that I'm looking for a replacement. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #12,393 of 13,503
If you just need a transport, the DX50 is best for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I've considered it but the bugs reports really put me off. Better the Devil I know.

BTW, can the scanning on the DX50 be turned off or is the same kind of problems going to arise with 128GB of music?

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #12,394 of 13,503
You cancel the scanning with the DX50. :) you can try to ask some DX50 users over the DX50 thread regarding the 128gb scanning.

But based on my experience, it believe it would be fast. The DX50 doesn't scan every time it turns on. It only prompts and ask you to scan when you change the card

Too bad no more development with the DX100. If someone can make a custom ROM for the DX100 to make the media scanning manual, that would be wonderful.

So far, no updates on the app with the ES9018 API :frowning2:

The DX50 will soon support DSD and the supposedly flagship doesn't

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #12,396 of 13,503
So far, no updates on the app with the ES9018 API
frown.gif

The DX50 will soon support DSD and the supposedly flagship doesn't

I'm quite disappointed about the fact that nothing has come out of the API release.  I still love the DX100 to bits but would like some fresh take on the functionality.  Also, regarding the DSD support - the HDP-R10 supports it, is it really that different from the DX100??  I seem to recall Figgie (whatever happened to him?) stating that the unit had the dsd module on board.  Maybe I need to buy the HPD-R10 and sell my DX100?

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #12,397 of 13,503
Man, I've said it before, but, I'm quite underwhelmed with this thing. The only good things going for it are SQ and build Q. Otherwise, it  really is sub-par for the price. Eg, how can an Android device costing this much have such a bad Android system, and awful wifi?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #12,398 of 13,503
Not sure what you guys are going on about? I use 64GB onboard and 64GB cards - scanning takes about 15 seconds....think I can cope with that.

Wifi - they should never have included it - never worked properly for most.

Other functionality? I can find my music and play it - not sure what else I need?

API release\new firmware - never going to happen....a new flagship will be along soon

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #12,401 of 13,503

I've got the same and scanning can go on for hours.

Odd.
If I swap 64GB cards or make change to the internal or SDcard it will scan for a minute or so, never any length of time that is particularly annoying.
If I remember rightly, slow scanning might be down to the speed of the micro SDcard or the file names\tags causing an issue with the DX100 unable to properly translate the file\tag and so gets "stuck".

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #12,402 of 13,503

Odd.
If I swap 64GB cards or make change to the internal or SDcard it will scan for a minute or so, never any length of time that is particularly annoying.
If I remember rightly, slow scanning might be down to the speed of the micro SDcard or the file names\tags causing an issue with the DX100 unable to properly translate the file\tag and so gets "stuck".

Definite differences in speed of the memory card.

Also, as I've remarked in the past, there might be a few ongoing revisions to the DX100 hardware which no one has been made aware of.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #12,403 of 13,503
  I've got the same and scanning can go on for hours.

Seems you need a factory reset or reload the firmware. It should not take over about 15 minutes. What type of card? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #12,404 of 13,503
Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it.

The card is a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (Transfer speeds up to 30 MB/s). The latest episode occurred when I put almost 10GB of music on it, 3GB or so of hi-res. I've done a factory reset but haven't reloaded the firmware.

Originally Posted by kryten123

I don't do any tagging.  Can anything be done about the file names/tags issue?

It certainly does get stuck, even when I first turn it on when making no file changes.

Even when the scanning message isn't displayed, at times on the Advanced Mode screen the 'All Music' and 'Now Playing List' don't respond at all.  Or the timing fields on the Basic Mode screen are all zeros and pressing the Home button doesn't bring up the Advanced Mode screen (like now).  I can navigate by going to the second screen and selecting a category like Albums but this is a flat list and a pain to use.  Eventually it usually rights itself, other times I turn it off/on and/or do a reset. 
confused_face_2.gif

It's too bad the X3 only takes 64MB cards,  I picked up one for a friend and loaded it with 50GB or so of music and was able to navigate and play what ever I wanted immediately.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #12,405 of 13,503
  Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it.

The card is a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (Transfer speeds up to 30 MB/s). The latest episode occurred when I put almost 10GB of music on it, 3GB or so of hi-res. I've done a factory reset but haven't reloaded the firmware.

I don't do any tagging.  Can anything be done about the file names/tags issue?

It certainly does get stuck, even when I first turn it on when making no file changes.

Even when the scanning message isn't displayed, at times on the Advanced Mode screen the 'All Music' and 'Now Playing List' don't respond at all.  Or the timing fields on the Basic Mode screen are all zeros and pressing the Home button doesn't bring up the Advanced Mode screen (like now).  I can navigate by going to the second screen and selecting a category like Albums but this is a flat list and a pain to use.  Eventually it usually rights itself, other times I turn it off/on and/or do a reset. 
confused_face_2.gif

If you can bear it, redo the firmware...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back