iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9,856 of 13,503
Quote:

Do a test. Listen to your DX100 with no music player when you plug the charger in. If the hiss sounds like it's hissing at a higher frequency than when it's not plugged in, it's a minor fault and iBasso will repair it for you. I have something similar but I just can't bare to part with my DX100 to get it fixed because it's pretty minor and everything else sounds so amazing. I'll have to do it eventually.

Regardless, get in touch with iBasso. They're pretty good in regards to customer service.

And I hope you enjoy your DX100 once it's fixed. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried but I cannot hear a significant difference when plugging in the charger. On the other hand the hiss from time to time slightly changes pitch and intensity.

I have written to iBasso about the problem and will see what they suggest. I must say that in spite of the hiss I am quite impressed by the sound of the DX100 and it would be definitely painful to send it back to iBasso for repair :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #9,857 of 13,503
I listening with my JH13's most of the day yesterday. Every once in a while I would turn off the music and turn the player to max on high gain to try and get hiss, I got almost none. I have changed out the last two caps that deal with the signal to Black Gate non polar and did this some time back. I can't imagine they would have an impact on any hiss but I guess it is possible. Anyway I detect virtually none.

Also, while some find high gain to be more aggressive regarding sound, I find it to be very neutral and dynamic. Again, the caps, I don't know but the sound is very layered and dynamic, regardless of the phones used from the Ultrasone 9, LCD2's or the HE500 and so one.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9,858 of 13,503
Quote:
I listening with my JH13's most of the day yesterday. Every once in a while I would turn off the music and turn the player to max on high gain to try and get hiss, I got almost none. I have changed out the last two caps that deal with the signal to Black Gate non polar and did this some time back. I can't imagine they would have an impact on any hiss but I guess it is possible. Anyway I detect virtually none.

Also, while some find high gain to be more aggressive regarding sound, I find it to be very neutral and dynamic. Again, the caps, I don't know but the sound is very layered and dynamic, regardless of the phones used from the Ultrasone 9, LCD2's or the HE500 and so one.

Keyword is headphones :).

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #9,859 of 13,503
Quote:
Keyword is headphones :).

Yes, but I also find this with my JH13's and I use them at either mid or high gain.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #9,860 of 13,503
Quote:
Yes, but I also find this with my JH13's and I use them at either mid or high gain.

You don't get hiss issues on high gain? Hmm. On all my IEMs I can hear audible hiss and I don't like how upfront it is. Makes the sound stage smaller and more compressed. Mediium was my happy medium :). If you really tried hard you could hear slight hiss but honestly not an issue during music playback and it brings the presentation slightly closer where it is in my preference :).

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #9,862 of 13,503
Quote:
For the Hifiman He-400, what gain is it best set it on? I usually use Medium. but i think low gain might be better...

Well, your ears are the judge. What setting is best for you?

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #9,865 of 13,503
Pretty much you are a strong as your weakest link. Is the Furutech a high end DAC? Because the Sabre DAC is. Plus you'll have to take into account the induced jitter from connecting the DAC to your phone. So there are compromises being made regardless.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #9,867 of 13,503
What is the "character" of the sound for this player? I like an analytical, neutral, and coldish sound. Someone recommeded the Hisound Studio V Anniversary DAP, which I bought, but it's a little bit warm sounding for me. I have quite a few albums in hi def quality and would love to be able to hear these out on the road. + I've heard some great things about the Sabre DAC which seems to be the new flavour of the month after the Wolfson.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #9,868 of 13,503
Quote:
What is the "character" of the sound for this player? I like an analytical, neutral, and coldish sound. Someone recommended the Hisound Studio V Anniversary DAP, which I bought, but it's a little bit warm sounding for me. I have quite a few albums in hi def quality and would love to be able to hear these out on the road. + I've heard some great things about the Sabre DAC which seems to be the new flavour of the month after the Wolfson.

Wow you consider the Studio V 3rd ANV warm? lol it is anything but warm to my ears? Sounds like you really enjoy rolled off bass type signatures from what you are saying? What IEMs or phones are you using them with? The Studio V is definitely on the cold side IMO and the ibasso will have more bass emphasis than the Studio V. Still the ibasso is a neutral DAP as well. So I am just under the impression you like rolled off bass. Heck even Wolfson will have more bass emphasis in general.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #9,869 of 13,503
Quote:
Wow you consider the Studio V 3rd ANV warm? lol it is anything but warm to my ears? Sounds like you really enjoy rolled off bass type signatures from what you are saying? What IEMs or phones are you using them with? The Studio V is definitely on the cold side IMO and the ibasso will have more bass emphasis than the Studio V. Still the ibasso is a neutral DAP as well. So I am just under the impression you like rolled off bass. Heck even Wolfson will have more bass emphasis in general.

I've used a variety of phones with the Hisound, including m-100, Sony MDR-1 , Sony7506, AT Esw9, in addition to a few others. It's interesting you say that the Wolfson has an emphasised bass response, as I also own the iHifi 812 V2 Dap , which uses a Wolfson.It has a coldish type of sound signature. When I say I prefer a coldish sound, I don't necessarily mean a bass-light sound. I love bass, but I like it punchy and well defined. I like to hear the "shiny" attack of kick drums (I listen to a lot of electronica/dance music as you can probably guess).

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #9,870 of 13,503
I don't get it though because my Studio V 3rd ANV is what you are saying. The bass has lots of punch. Very well controlled. Did you burn you unit in BTW? I'd say run it in for 250 hours and see where that take you. The Studio V for me is very cold and detailed. At least it is that way with all the IEMs I've thrown at it. I felt the same even about the older model although the bass was even leaner on that model. Generally speaking devices that I've used with Wolfson DACs had more bass emphasis, even a bit more lose if you will. The Sflo2 was an exception to that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back